PDA

View Full Version : New battery loud solenoid click no starter engagement

ProStreetCamaro
04-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Battery is new and tested in another machine. I am getting a very loud audible solenoid click but the starter does not do anything. I can keep trying and eventually it will engage the starter and the mower will start. Kind of lost on what is causing it? Switch, solenoid or starter itself? This is on our Gravely 34Z with the 15hp kawasaki twin.

Phil G
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Battery is new and tested in another machine. I am getting a very loud audible solenoid click but the starter does not do anything. I can keep trying and eventually it will engage the starter and the mower will start. Kind of lost on what is causing it? Switch, solenoid or starter itself? This is on our Gravely 34Z with the 15hp kawasaki twin.

Hi, could be any one, or more of the items you mentioned. Before you go spending money check the HD wiring. Battery to solenoid to starter also any earth straps, engine to chassis, battery to chassis. Remove them and clean with a wire brush so they are 100% clean.

Good luck, Phil

fl-landscapes
04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
getting the selonoid to click makes me think your starter is likely the problem. Just my guess.

dutch1
04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
You obviously have power to the solenoid. Hook the clamp end of your test light to an engine ground then touch the test light to the starter post with the switch in start position. If you get no response to your test light the solenoid contacts are bad. If you get the test light to light you have problems with the starter.

Dutch

coyote247
04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Jump the solenoid.....does starter engage? If so replace solenoid. If your starter is working sometimes, then the solenoid would be my first guess.

stihlboy
05-03-2010, 02:06 AM
smack the starter with a hammer, it will work then:drinkup:

fixer67
05-03-2010, 02:26 AM
smack the starter with a hammer, it will work then:drinkup:

Do that and you will need to buy a new starter. That old trick does not work. The starter mangets will be broken lose and the starter will be trashed.

fixer67
05-03-2010, 02:31 AM
getting the selonoid to click makes me think your starter is likely the problem. Just my guess.

No necessarily. There is a contact pad in side the selonoid that gets burned up over time. If it is burnt bad enough it will not close the circuit no matter how much clicking noise it makes. Put and meter at the starter and see if there is power from the selonoid to the starter. The clicking noise really does not mean all that much. Use a test meter or test light at the starter and have someone trun the key to start for you if you can not do both by your self.

stihlboy
05-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Do that and you will need to buy a new starter. That old trick does not work. The starter mangets will be broken lose and the starter will be trashed.

should have said tap

stihlboy
05-03-2010, 02:54 AM

should have said tap, and if it doesn't work why do i have to do it on my 17hp kawasaki:hammerhead:

the starter doesn't contact properly at times and needs a small jolt to get the current flowing

milkie62
05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Jump solenoid first.If starter spins either dirty/corroded connections or bad solenoid.If it spins with jumped solenoid that means "most " of your connections are good.Your block grond is good otherwise your starter would not spin.Keep it simple.

ProStreetCamaro
06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Update guys. Now I am REALLY confused. The problem still exists. I just replaced the solenoid same issue. Then I borrowed a friends multimeter and verified the new solenoid is good and it was. Then I checked voltage at the starter and its getting full power. I assumed full power at the starter meant bad starter. I replaced the starter with a new OEM starter and SAME PROBLEM! The starter is not doing squat. What in the world is going on here?????? The solenoid clicks and the starter makes no noise no nothing just sits there motionless.

I am at witts ends here!

ProStreetCamaro
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Just tested by putting negative lead on multimeter to block and positive to the power point on the starter and I am getting no reading at all when I hit the switch. When I do negative to negative on battery and positive on the starter I get full power reading so that means the engine is not grounded. No ground means no start but why would there not be a ground? Isnt the sheer fact the engine is bolted to the frame mean it should be grounded? I am going to bolt a new ground wire from the starter bolt to the battery negative and it should work I would assume?

Ruben Rocha
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
When you checked voltage to the starter how did you measure it with the meter.
Meaning one probe on the starter lead and the other probe on what?
Maybe you have a bad negative connection?
With the same meter you could change to ohms or continuity and check between the negative battery lead and the case of the starter. Make sure you are on something not painted like the mounting bolts.
Should be 0 ohms or very close to it.

Other than that just because the starter is new does not mean it is good.

Ruben Rocha
06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
well we posted on top of each other.
I would follow the negative lead to the frame connection.
With the meter. Could be some corrosion on that clean it and bolt it back on.

milkie62
06-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Put black lead on case of starter and red lead on starter wire and have someone turn key.You need full 12 volts if less you have weak battery,or dirty connections.Starter HAS to spin if you have 12 volts between case of starter and starter positive.
OR----is the engine flooded and you possibly have a cylinder full of liquid ? If that is the case the engine will not spin over.

Jason Pallas
06-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Remove the starter and verify it is working by hooking it up directly to the battery. Thats your first step. Then try to manually rotate the engine flywheel or crank to see if the engine freely rotates. I have had a clutch seize up before - and give me the exact same symptoms as you have. However, I knew the clutch had seized - as it happened while we where running it. Post back.

JCLawn and more
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
how is the amperage on the multi meter? I have had a fuse with a bad connection do similar things. Well, it was dirty, when I turned the key it went click, and everything died.

ProStreetCamaro
06-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Well son of a gun the battery ground wire to the block was loose. Followed the wire from battery and it went to the bolt that bolts the engine to the frame. The nut securing the wire to the bolt was loose. Snugged it up and it fired right up. Lesson learned I need to buy my own multimeter.