PDA

View Full Version : Paver opinion needed

Alan
07-03-2002, 01:37 AM
OK, no idea what went wrong, but this post came up blank the first time.

Attempt #2.

Started this paver patio yesterday. I'm using a soldier course where it's shown in pink, should I also use one along the existing building, shown in green?

DaveK
07-03-2002, 04:10 PM
I would do a soldier course for one main reason... it's quicker.

Run the paver up to the building...

Use a chalk line to mark a line parallel to the wall the distance away that you need for your soldier course...

Walk along and cut on the line...

Pull out the cut pieces, and lay in your soldier course.

CT18fireman
07-03-2002, 06:28 PM
I would agree with Dave. This is how I always lay them. Unless the customer desires different. I think it frames the patio. I also think that by snapping the chalk line and running the soldier course that you can make up for anyything being out of square in the building or patio.

Alan
07-03-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm doing it with Techo-Block "Elena" so there isn't even any cutting along the foundation. I usually use the square stones for soldiers, that makes the border uniform and then let the pattern itself run wild. The soldiers aren't as distinct this way, but they still make a neat edge. I've never abutted a foundation and was mostly wondering what the general opinion would be. Thanks

Pelican
07-07-2002, 01:44 AM
I always run a full border of soldiers to keep things symetric in appearence.

lawnstudent
07-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Do you guys recommend butting the soldier course up to the foundation or would you recommend an expansion felt (or other material) between the pavers and the foundation?

jim

Stonehenge
07-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Depends -

If the foundation is perfect, we lay right to it. It it isn't, we'll put in expansion join, or leave 1/4" void between pavers and foundation for sand.

steveair
07-08-2002, 08:08 PM
hello,

A lot of this can depend on the type/style of paver being used. I've done pavers against foundations both ways, either with or without the soldier row.

I've never used anything against the foundation. The pavers will move, which is fine. Expansions joints are put in so that concrete doesn't crack (or should I say the cracking is 'controlled') Since pavers don't crack, you don't need a expansion joint.

For various reasons, you may however need flashing material if you are concerned about water sitting between the pavers and the house, but this is mainly when they are going to be in contact with wood.

steve