PDA

View Full Version : Could this season be really bad?

MikeKle
04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
We are supposed to get frost tonight! That reminds me of the season a few years ago when this happened about the same time, and it screwed the whole growing season up. They said yesterday it was going to be nice and sunny today, and i woke up to dark skys, 43 degrees, and a light mist? So yet another day of no mowing! With all the rain weve had, and the lack of ANY sunshine, it is going to take forever to dry out.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-27-2010, 10:09 AM
You have no idea how good you have it. We have frost on the ground most mornings up till 1st week of May. In 2008 we had a real bad freeze(-14F) in late April after everything budded out. Most trees mature and young died off. Do you know what that does for fall cleanup work, it kills that work all to gether because no leaves exist at all. Its a hard life and only getting harder in the crappy world of lawn care. Even with weather factored by far my two biggest problems is that more people are doing their own and there is now 30 more people doing it than last year.

MikeKle
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Normally at this time of year, we are in the mid 70s every day. I agree about this industry. if its not the weather stopping you, its customers loosing their income, and doing it themselves. Ive only lost a couple this year due to this, but I havent picked up hardly any new accounts yet this year, when usually I have lots of calls by now. Maybe May will be better? Combine all this with trying to make payments on all the equipment, truck, and it can go south real quick!

Charles
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Windy and chilly here too. Lows in the 40s tonight. Well below normal for SC. Probably around 70 today. Centipede is not faring well. I just did a Zoysia yard that was growing like crazy. Nice rain this past weekend. Should be back to 80s/60s by Friday
My business is way down too. No calls. Just depends on what area of the Country in as to how much the economy is hurting you. Here, 75% of the people are mowing lawns:cry:

Hare'sLawn&Leaf
04-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Geez you guys got it bad, were suposed to get 3-7 inches of snow over tonight and tomorrow in southern vermont and i have been mowing for 2 weeks now. YIKES!