PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa C4

Differential
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I've been reading for weeks now. I started a small service in North Dallas, and have purchased almost all of my equipment used.

I'm currently using an Echo GT 200 trimmer, and I'm getting ready to buy something better. I bought the GT 200 used from a neighbor for $15, and it runs great, but I hate the curved shaft.

The Shindaiwas with the C4 technology have really caught my eye. I know I can't go wrong with Stihl or Echo, but does anyone have experience with these Shindaiwas? My local retailer has the 2510 for $339 plus tax.

Frontier-Lawn
04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
personaly i would either go with kawasakia or redmax for any handhelds. i hate echo and shindaiwa is now owned by echo so i think echo crapy quailty will affect the shindy line.

Alan0354
04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Echo and Shindaiwa are very big in the Bay Area. They make up about 80% of the trimmer used by LCO here. Just because HD selling the lower line Echo don't mean Echo are lesser. In fact read the threads on the "Cheap" SRM210, I charllenge you to find much complains, $210 for a TRUE commercial quality trimmer that the take a beating and keep on ticking.............

I have Shindaiwa C4 hand held blower. It has been the second most reliable piece of equipment I have...........second to my Echo HC151 hedge trimmer. They both never have problem. Just the HC151 is 5 years old and the C4 is almost 3 years old.

I was skiptical on those hybrid 4 cycle engines before but after my experience and reading posts here, seems like the 25cc and 34cc C4 engine don't have any complains at all, none of the drop valve issue. It has been out for many years already so it is not exactly unproven. Do a search of the past posts here, you'll see.

Differential
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
The echo has been really good, but it has a small head, and I find that I'm refilling it with line almost every day. And that's .080.

I haven't felt the shindaiwa's yet, but they sure do look pretty!

Alan0354
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I really like the Shindaiwa SpeedFeed head.

Just Mow
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Get the Stihl FS90 R, or if you want really light try the 100RX both are very good and reliable units.

ed2hess
04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
We bought 4 of the 2510 trimmers to start getting experience with the valve machines. It took awhile to get used to starting them since we expected a one pull and that just happen on these. I like the low tinny rpm of the unit and we run without the guard and it will flat get with it. We trim a lot of holding ponds with big weeds and it does just as good as our Echo 265T. There are a lot of parts that look similar to Echo. I had a pamphlet comparing it to Honda and Stihl and....2510 looked better in several areas. I don't think they like water in the gas and that could be problem long term. But so far we like it....even the speed head is okay.

Alan0354
04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
We bought 4 of the 2510 trimmers to start getting experience with the valve machines. It took awhile to get used to starting them since we expected a one pull and that just happen on these. I like the low tinny rpm of the unit and we run without the guard and it will flat get with it. We trim a lot of holding ponds with big weeds and it does just as good as our Echo 265T. There are a lot of parts that look similar to Echo. I had a pamphlet comparing it to Honda and Stihl and....2510 looked better in several areas. I don't think they like water in the gas and that could be problem long term. But so far we like it....even the speed head is okay.

So what is your final magic formula on starting? Similar to what I described? If you can start in one pull, you are doing better than me. It usually takes 3. Difference is the pull is very easy.

Which brand like water in gas??:laugh::laugh:

What parts look similar to Echo?

hackitdown
04-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I just replaced my 2 trimmers with Stihl FS90s, and I put the Oregon version of the Shindy Speedfeed heads on them. I am very happy with this setup. The trimmers were $299 each, and the heads were $35 each. I guess I'm a Stihl guy.

ed2hess
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
So what is your final magic formula on starting? Similar to what I described? If you can start in one pull, you are doing better than me. It usually takes 3. Difference is the pull is very easy.

Which brand like water in gas??:laugh::laugh:

What parts look similar to Echo?

No we didn't figure out starting in one pull .....it is about 3 to 5 and they aren't any easier to pull than the new Echo 265 spring in recoil. The unit comes apart just like Echo same basic idea to tear it apart. The clutch shoe idea and bearing and seals. Much different than Stihl which is a little harder to tear down for replaceing parts. Ocassionally the unit will act like it is bogged down from exhaust and my only thing I can figure is a bit of water in gas from sitting over night or from the gas can. I am interested in any info on the water thing .....I dont' think the 2 stroke echo units ever had any problem with that.

Alan0354
04-28-2010, 09:55 PM
No we didn't figure out starting in one pull .....it is about 3 to 5 and they aren't any easier to pull than the new Echo 265 spring in recoil. The unit comes apart just like Echo same basic idea to tear it apart. The clutch shoe idea and bearing and seals. Much different than Stihl which is a little harder to tear down for replaceing parts. Ocassionally the unit will act like it is bogged down from exhaust and my only thing I can figure is a bit of water in gas from sitting over night or from the gas can. I am interested in any info on the water thing .....I dont' think the 2 stroke echo units ever had any problem with that.

I have a hard time thinking about water get into the tank unless it is dunk into the water!!! Maybe an experiment is in order. Take one of your trimmer, put in new gas and put it away from the water and see if it still bog. If so, it is not water. You sure it is not running too lean? I don't know whether you can adjust the carb or not. Mine is so smooth. The only thing I notice is seems like with Shindaiwa One oil, it idle slower and rougher and wanting to stall. I just increase the idle at the time. It ran much better with Echo Power Blend. I since change to Amsoil.

Can you run gas to empty. I had problem with my Shindy M242 that the gas filter keep coming out of the neck. I end up stringing 2 of the 1/4" nut onto the gas line close to the filter and that cure all the bogging problem and run until the tank is empty.

ed2hess
04-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a hard time thinking about water get into the tank unless it is dunk into the water!!! Maybe an experiment is in order. Take one of your trimmer, put in new gas and put it away from the water and see if it still bog. If so, it is not water. You sure it is not running too lean? I don't know whether you can adjust the carb or not. Mine is so smooth. The only thing I notice is seems like with Shindaiwa One oil, it idle slower and rougher and wanting to stall. I just increase the idle at the time. It ran much better with Echo Power Blend. I since change to Amsoil.

Can you run gas to empty. I had problem with my Shindy M242 that the gas filter keep coming out of the neck. I end up stringing 2 of the 1/4" nut onto the gas line close to the filter and that cure all the bogging problem and run until the tank is empty.
I don't know how much water we get in or from this corn gas? You can adjust the carb takes a special tool ...kinda d shaped on end. Thanks for tip on filter float I did notice the other day that the unit was messing up and I went back and filled up and everything got okay.

Alan0354
04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't know how much water we get in or from this corn gas? You can adjust the carb takes a special tool ...kinda d shaped on end. Thanks for tip on filter float I did notice the other day that the unit was messing up and I went back and filled up and everything got okay.

Let us know how it turn out.

lawnboy dan
04-29-2010, 07:37 PM
ed -are you using syth oil in yours. mine run way better on synth oil/gas mix.

ed2hess
04-29-2010, 07:50 PM
ed -are you using syth oil in yours. mine run way better on synth oil/gas mix.

I am using Echo oil and waiting for their new oil that is supposed to solve exhaust clogging and water in gas problems among other things. Echo keeps saying it will be out soon,

lawnboy dan
04-30-2010, 08:24 AM
this is your problem. try full synth and your prob will go away. sthil ultra -amzoil etc. my sthil 4 mix would barely run on reg oil. i stocked up on mobil 2t before production stopped and have many years worth in stock. great stuff but amzoil just as good. sthil ultra also great

Alan0354
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
this is your problem. try full synth and your prob will go away. sthil ultra -amzoil etc. my sthil 4 mix would barely run on reg oil. i stocked up on mobil 2t before production stopped and have many years worth in stock. great stuff but amzoil just as good. sthil ultra also great

I hate the Mobil 2T smell!! It had a sick sweet smell. I don't like the red color either.

Actually Echo Power Blend worked pretty good for me for a while. My C4 blower like it too. I just choose Amsoil over it just because it is full synthetic, smells a little better and better color. But I would go back to Echo if I have to.