PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 55 Carb problem?

irishcreek95
04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
The dealer is telling me he can not get to run correctly, needs new carb because this models carb cannot be rebuilt. It's about 7- 10 years old, should I fix or buy new?

Phil G
04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi, 7 to 10yrs is a good run. Retire it now and get a new one, you won't regret it.

Good luck, Phil

dutch1
04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
According to the Zama info I have the FS55 uses a Zama C1Q-S44 carb and uses an RB66 rebuild kit. Stens catalog also shows an FS55 with a C1Q-S58 carb and the rebuild kit is RB89. Both kits are available. Me thinks your dealer either doesn't want to rebuild your carb or would prefer to sell you a new trimmer. If the unit still has good compression and is in relatively good shape I'd certainly risk the cost of a kit and rebuild it myself. Your mileage may vary.

rotti1968
04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Maybe its not so much that the dealer does not want to rebuild, its that they are trying to save you money in the long run. If the rebuild does not work you will need a new carburetor so now your in deeper, we sell the fs 55 for 199.95 . So if you have a rebuild 40 to 50 bucks, plus what ever time they had into it before the rebuild. so if that does not work now you will need a carburetor any where from 35 to 60 for the new carburetor. Our policy is 1/3 the cost of a new unit we will repair, after that its up to the customer. Just some inside from a dealers side of things...

dutch1
04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree with your thoughts Rotti. The shop I worked in usually suggested never exceeding half the cost of a new unit on commercial units. Certainly on a 7-10 year old piece it's a crap shoot.

That's why I suggested IC95 consider the purchase of a kit and rebuilding himself. It certainly isn't brain surgery to rebuild a carb and it's not a time consuming job.

I worked in a shop long enough to see what some of the commercial guys were spending on repairs and I could never quite understand why the smaller operators didn't take the time learn how to do some of the small jobs themselves in order to cut out some of the overhead. Most of the large commercial companies had dedicated mechanics for their repairs.

irishcreek95
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
I really appreciate the info, I will get a rebuild kit and see where that takes me. It's great to get another opinion from people who are knowledgeable and have nothing to gain one way or another. Thanks again.

mowerknower
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Its probably not worth rebuilding the carb, new carb is around 50 bucks. Maybe less since stihl now owns Zama

STIHL GUY
04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
i would get a new one and if you have time and money fix up the old one and use it as a backup