PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer advice - Stihl HL 45 ?

mrealty
04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Anyone have any advice on Stihl HL 45 Hedge Trimmer ($339 in my area)? Anyone used it or can compare it to any other? Pros? Cons?

Thanks.
Mark

Lazer_Z
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Mark, I've not used one, but if you're going to spend that why not put $80.00 more in, going by the MSRP and get the HL 90 K?

I don't know what your sales tax is, but here it's $85.60 difference between the HL 45 & the HL 90. Another thing is the 90's cutting action will be blade against blade, similar to scissors. The 45 will be blade against anvil, it'll cut, but you wont be able to cut through what you will with the 90.

mrealty
04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Mark, I've not used one, but if you're going to spend that why not put $80.00 more in, going by the MSRP and get the HL 90 K?

I don't know what your sales tax is, but here it's $85.60 difference between the HL 45 & the HL 90. Another thing is the 90's cutting action will be blade against blade, similar to scissors. The 45 will be blade against anvil, it'll cut, but you wont be able to cut through what you will with the 90.

Excellent advice. I didn't know about the cutting action. I'll see if I can go back in there and check that one out. The dealer was swaying me to the lesser expensive HL 45 because he says it's much more light weight (maybe their profit margin is higher on that particular model???). I'd trust the opinions here more than a dealer...although I know there are many here who are loyal to a particular brand.

I appreciate all input on this.

Lazer_Z
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
You're welcome, good luck with the purchase!

shooterm
04-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I was thinking a electric professional considering the price is almost a third. I always have a generator on hand and like the 3lbs less. Anyone have any experience with these?

mrealty
04-28-2010, 09:41 AM
It's for commercial use. I should have said that in the beginning. Electric is not an option for me.

Greenery
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Why do you want a heavy a$$ stihl? You must not do much hedge trimming.
I just picked up a kawi kht600d under $300. It is far better balanced and lighter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
It is not an articulate trimmer. I think it is important to have articulate feature. Stihl don't have the short shaft articulate model. Shindaiwa, Husqvarna, Redmax and Kawasaki has it.

topsites
04-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I can't believe how much prices have went up, I believe I paid $240
maybe $250 for that same unit, the 45.

So it was 8 years ago, omg whatever, no wonder Lco's out there quoting some wild prices heh...

It's a good unit, runs strong and all of that but I'd have to agree,
once we get much past $300 just as well off getting the beefier one.

As for the weight, the difference is mostly in the length of the blades,
if this becomes a concern you can always swap for a shorter blade thou
a set of blades does run well over $100...

That's the thing, the HL-45 comes standard with 18" blades (thou I have mine with the 24")
while the HS-85/90 comes with the 24", and it's what sticks out in front of you that hurts the most.

Not sure if it makes much sense getting the beefier unit with an 18" set of blades thou,
certainly I wouldn't get the 45 with the 24" right off either, but the difference is noticeable.

Alan0354
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree, 18" is a little short. My Shindaiwa is 24, I still find I cannot cut in one pass and have to cut high and cut low again.

mrealty
04-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Just got back from the dealer and they don't normally carry the Stihl HL 90K in the showroom. "But we can order it for you for $419" Well, the reason why I come to the dealer is so I can *try it out* and compare them in my hands. :wall

So, is there an articulate hedge trimmer with cutting action blade against anvil, at least 20 inch blade, with short staff? Sounds like that's the best of all worlds so far? Or does that combination not exist?

Thanks again for all input.

Lazer_Z
04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Just got back from the dealer and they don't normally carry the Stihl HL 90K in the showroom. "But we can order it for you for $419" Well, the reason why I come to the dealer is so I can *try it out* and compare them in my hands. :wall

So, is there an articulate hedge trimmer with cutting action blade against anvil, at least 20 inch blade, with short staff? Sounds like that's the best of all worlds so far? Or does that combination not exist?

Thanks again for all input.Mark, You don't want blade against anvil cutting action, you want blade against blade.

Maybe this link will help you in your search http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/Results.aspx?lspr=1&zip=&city=Agusta&state=GA&dlrtype=1

Other than that link, this is the only thing I can find that fits what you desire http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/HL100K-135.html

Lazer_Z
04-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I can't believe how much prices have went up, I believe I paid $240
maybe $250 for that same unit, the 45.

So it was 8 years ago, omg whatever, no wonder Lco's out there quoting some wild prices heh...

It's a good unit, runs strong and all of that but I'd have to agree,
once we get much past $300 just as well off getting the beefier one.

As for the weight, the difference is mostly in the length of the blades,
if this becomes a concern you can always swap for a shorter blade thou
a set of blades does run well over $100...

That's the thing, the HL-45 comes standard with 18" blades (thou I have mine with the 24")
while the HS-85/90 comes with the 24", and it's what sticks out in front of you that hurts the most.

Not sure if it makes much sense getting the beefier unit with an 18" set of blades thou,
certainly I wouldn't get the 45 with the 24" right off either, but the difference is noticeable.Topsy, Were not talking a standard hedge trimmer here. He's wanting an EXTENDED REACH hedge trimmer, Stihl's biggest extended reach hedge trimmer(HL 100) has a DSRP of $519.95 before sales tax. Your HS45 w/24" blade comes in at $309.95 before tax, an HS 81T is $499.99(24") & $519.99(30") all before tax.

mrealty
04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Mark, You don't want blade against anvil cutting action, you want blade against blade.

Maybe this link will help you in your search http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/Results.aspx?lspr=1&zip=&city=Agusta&state=GA&dlrtype=1

Other than that link, this is the only thing I can find that fits what you desire http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/HL100K-135.html

My bad. Blade against blade I meant. I'll check those out real quick.

Dealer has one in the show room (HL 100K 135 degree) for $469.95 (without sales tax). Will go in and check it out. Sounds like it's the one for me on paper. That price is killing me, though.

Lazer_Z
04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
My bad. Blade against blade I meant. I'll check those out real quick.

Dealer has one in the show room (HL 100K 135 degree) for $469.95 (without sales tax). Will go in and check it out. Sounds like it's the one for me on paper. That price is killing me, though.That's better than the suggested price of $499.95. This is the HL 100K at my dealer here in Jersey http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_ycynaa-prodid-502-toplvl-13-catid-13-subcat-13-catprods-64.aspx .

Alan0354
04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
When you get into articulate, it is always more money. But I think it is worth the extra money.

You guys should write to Stihl. Just too bad they don't have the short reach. Shouldn't be difficult for them to produce one.

grassman177
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
they are a bit small, try the HS 80 or 81 whichever is the newer model. very agile, very quiet and very smooth and little vibration. you did not know how great a pair of shrub trimmers could be until you try one of these i can assure you!

osr001
04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Anyone have any advice on Stihl HL 45 Hedge Trimmer ($339 in my area)? Anyone used it or can compare it to any other? Pros? Cons?

Thanks.
Mark

I have the HL 45. I bought it because of its weight. Mine is 2 yrs. old and has a rev limiter on it. I want to bend it in half most days. It`s built right into the coil and I even tried getting an older coil to replace it. Dealer said it won`t work. Make sure the one you get does`nt have it!!

mrealty
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
That's better than the suggested price of $499.95. This is the HL 100K at my dealer here in Jersey http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_ycynaa-prodid-502-toplvl-13-catid-13-subcat-13-catprods-64.aspx .

Re: HL 100K 135 degree

Yeah, repeated the model number and degrees over the phone to the girl at the dealer to make sure she was quoting me the right price. Went in today to check it out and they said it was $519 (whole lot more than what she told me previously). I saw the HL 100K last time I was in. It's very nice...kinda heavy though...would need a carry strap for that one. That price is still killing me.

Is there anything else out there that has all of what the HL 100K 130 degree has in another brand that doesn't cost as much?

Alan0354
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Check out Kawasaki on ebay. Kawi is a good brand also.

Don't be brand specific, call around and ask for any promotion. My experience is there is always a promotion on some brands. As long as you stay with the commercial brands, you can't go too wrong. As for reliability of any one piece of equipment, it is really a crap shoot, any brand can have a lemon.

I paid $569 for my Shindaiwa M242 with the articulate hedge trimmer under the promotion of getting a string trimmer attachment free. That was exactly what I needed at the time. Call around and check out ebay and buy new there.

I think it is important to have articulate capability. I use mine instead of the regular hedge trimmer all together.

Lazer_Z
05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Re: HL 100K 135 degree

Yeah, repeated the model number and degrees over the phone to the girl at the dealer to make sure she was quoting me the right price. Went in today to check it out and they said it was $519 (whole lot more than what she told me previously). I saw the HL 100K last time I was in. It's very nice...kinda heavy though...would need a carry strap for that one. That price is still killing me.

Is there anything else out there that has all of what the HL 100K 130 degree has in another brand that doesn't cost as much?Somethings not right, I know of 4 Stihl dealers around me, 1 is my main dealer, the 2nd I go to from time to time for miscellaneous stuff. The 3rd and 4th I've never dealt with when buying equipment, but my point being EVERY Stihl dealer I've been to has the same DSRP for equipment as the next.

Like I said somethings not right, that dealer sounds shady to me.

topsites
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Topsy, Were not talking a standard hedge trimmer here. He's wanting an EXTENDED REACH hedge trimmer, Stihl's biggest extended reach hedge trimmer(HL 100) has a DSRP of $519.95 before sales tax. Your HS45 w/24" blade comes in at $309.95 before tax, an HS 81T is $499.99(24") & $519.99(30") all before tax.

Oh, well, never mind.

mrealty
05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Somethings not right, I know of 4 Stihl dealers around me, 1 is my main dealer, the 2nd I go to from time to time for miscellaneous stuff. The 3rd and 4th I've never dealt with when buying equipment, but my point being EVERY Stihl dealer I've been to has the same DSRP for equipment as the next.

Like I said somethings not right, that dealer sounds shady to me.

I don't mean to make excuses for her, but I think she was in a hurry and was disregarding my detailed description of what I wanted (she didn't pay attention to the important part: 135 degree.)

Concerning the DSRP. If you check the stihl web site, you will see that the prices for the exact same products vary from dealer to dealer, typically changing by region (not usually within city). I put in a number of different cities in different states, and then looked at particular products and there was in fact much variation from one area to the next when it came to price.