PDA

View Full Version : Black Plastic Edging - How to Install?

Mack77
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Regarding this product:

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID=64&SKU=722597&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=FREECSE&utm_term=722597&utm_content=6790&utm_campaign=DATAFEED

I have no experience with plastic edging, how would you install this? Is it even any good? The customer has a property with stone paver edging in all of her beds. There is roughly 600' of edging to remove, and replace with correct plastic landscape edging (like the one pictured above). How would you install such a product?

I think we're going to just use a shovel and edge like a regular mulch bed, hammer down this plastic edge with stakes or nails, backfill and drop crushed stone in the beds. Voila.

Is this work going to be as easy as 1-2-3, or am I missing something.

Thanks!

Firefighter337
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7897345839464544536#

Bedscaper, then back fill with rake.

MarcSmith
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
plastic edging that will be junk in 5 years YUUK. up sell on the steel or aluminum.

but basically the way you said it is how you do it... make sure you take it out of the package a day or two before so it has a chance to uncurl. makes it easier to work with when its not trying to coil it self around your arms and legs...

STIHL GUY
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
plastic edging that will be junk in 5 years YUUK. up sell on the steel or aluminum.

but basically the way you said it is how you do it... make sure you take it out of the package a day or two before so it has a chance to uncurl. makes it easier to work with when its not trying to coil it self around your arms and legs...

yeah that stuff pisses me off. its so hard to get it to lay strait without curling up

MarcSmith
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
yeah that stuff pisses me off. its so hard to get it to lay strait without curling up
in florida 15 years ago it was the rage and everyone wanted it...huge PITA....I did it. I hated doing it. but money talks...

cudaclan
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I agree that plastic edging has less eye appeal and tends to shift in colder climates. I do not recommend it as a restraint for a gravel path. The backlash of steel edging is liability. In locations with pedestrians or pets, there is a possibility of cuts and lacerations. Unroll and place (weigh it down) on lawn so that it “cooperates” with you prior to slit cutting placement.

Crash
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Upsell her on some brick edging. It will be there forever and won't bend and crack when the mower hits it. We install it for $4.50 a linear foot(including brick).

We get ours from UNILOCK, it's called Perfect Edge. It's all we use up here. When she gawks at the price just explain the pros of the brick and the cons of the plastic, she should go for it if she cares about her landscaping. Plus you might be able to install it cheaper, I don't know. Either way I would def. recommend using an edger, it will cut down on your time ALOT. If you don't have one, rent one.

Think Green
04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
If the customer wants this lowe's or wal-mart brand edging, then so be it........just let them know it will not lay straight and will have unsightly bends. Tell them that this is in no way reflective of your abilities in installation.
I have used and still purchase the Ace of Diamonds commercial black edging.........the stuff that this cheap imitation junk was designed after. This material lasts 10 years or more because some of our accounts still have it after 10 years. We always lay this edging behind the stone or paverstone blocks as an added support for sediment.

Crash,
Nice bed, yet I don't upsell stone or aggregate either..........too heavy and compresses the soil for root penetration and pain in the grass when planting other things in the bed. Heats up too much! That is just our dislikes, other than that good job!!

Mack77
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys...

For the job:

I'm planning on renting a "bedshaper" before I lay the edging. I agree and believe that the edging is going to be a bi#ch to install. Aside from stone/brick (which would look great) what are some other options to edging beds with crushed stone. (grass // edging // crushed stone)

I understand a bed with stone needs some type of edging barrier, but what looks the best and can be installed most professionally? I stand behind my work and want the job to look great.

Crash
04-28-2010, 12:20 AM
If the customer wants this lowe's or wal-mart brand edging, then so be it........just let them know it will not lay straight and will have unsightly bends. Tell them that this is in no way reflective of your abilities in installation.
I have used and still purchase the Ace of Diamonds commercial black edging.........the stuff that this cheap imitation junk was designed after. This material lasts 10 years or more because some of our accounts still have it after 10 years. We always lay this edging behind the stone or paverstone blocks as an added support for sediment.

Crash,
Nice bed, yet I don't upsell stone or aggregate either..........too heavy and compresses the soil for root penetration and pain in the grass when planting other things in the bed. Heats up too much! That is just our dislikes, other than that good job!!

Sooo...you just use mulch all the time? Your customers never want stone? I agree it's a pain when you have to rake away the stone for a new planting or replacement, but it's not that bad, and you're getting paid. And as far as compressing the soil, bad root penetration...c'mon, seriously? :hammerhead:

mike174
04-28-2010, 02:32 AM
in florida 15 years ago it was the rage and everyone wanted it...huge PITA....I did it. I hated doing it. but money talks...

I had to pass on a job because the price I would charge to install this cr@p was more than the customer was willing to pay. Told him he could install it himself, but he decided a well edged bed was enough.

Runner
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
If you ARE going to install the black edging (and there is nothing wrong with that), make sure the few extra bucks are spent for the REAL stuff...like the Diamond edging. The other stuff will fall apart within a couple of years. The thing about the good stuff, is that you get it from a landscape supplier. And when you do this, many of times the strips are stored flat. Also, it doesn't come in a box kit. You buy the strips and stakes separate- therefore, you ALWAYS but more stakes. You double the amount of stakes that would have come in a box kit (put them in about every 3 to 4 ft.). This way, the stuff doesn't heave out of the ground like we so often see. Myself,...I would never DO a job with this junk material for edging. If it isn't going to be done right, - I want nopart of it. the same goes with landscape fabrics. Too often, people run to Home depot and then say "I got some landscape fabric already." - like they are saying they did something good.

shooterm
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I went to lowes to pickup some edging stakes for a quik repair for a friend. They wanted $1.25 a peice for the metal clip ones. $1.10 for the plastic sidewalls nails. The lowes guy even thought it was way over priced. I just drilled small pilot holes at the base and pounded in $.15 foot long bolts at a 45.

Mack77
04-28-2010, 02:55 PM
I hate to do this, but I think i might just decline the quote for this customer. I want to help them with the work, but I NEED to do a quality job. It's bothering me just thinking about this from all the responses regarding the plastic edging and poor quality.

Their lawn is also very uneven, rolling hills, slants, and curved downslopes. The edging may not even sit flush with the ground! I also have no experience using this product.

Are there any other alternatives that will vield professional results? (aside from masonry curbs or pavers?) I'm very comfortable digging an edge as with mulch, but I feel this may not be the best in the long run for the customer.

mike174
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
I hate to do this, but I think i might just decline the quote for this customer. I want to help them with the work, but I NEED to do a quality job. It's bothering me just thinking about this from all the responses regarding the plastic edging and poor quality.

Their lawn is also very uneven, rolling hills, slants, and curved downslopes. The edging may not even sit flush with the ground! I also have no experience using this product.

Are there any other alternatives that will vield professional results? (aside from masonry curbs or pavers?) I'm very comfortable digging an edge as with mulch, but I feel this may not be the best in the long run for the customer.

99% of my customers just have me edge the beds...no plastic, pavers, etc. I don't understand how an edge isn't "the best option in the long run"? You could always build them a garden wall, but that will cost them some $$$. Why wouldn't an edge work? What is the customer's reason for wanting plastic? Mulch will still go into the grass during a big rain storm with a plastic edge. If they insist, just price it so that you make money. Give them what they want if they are willing to pay for it....

Mack77
04-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Agreed,

All my customers have me edge their mulched beds. Unfortunately, this customer has crushed stone in their beds with incorrect stone paver edging lining the beds. I would have no problem putting a natural edge with stone, (something that naturally goes with a mulched bed) but I feel this may be incorrect.

pitrack
04-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Agreed,

All my customers have me edge their mulched beds. Unfortunately, this customer has crushed stone in their beds with incorrect stone paver edging lining the beds. I would have no problem putting a natural edge with stone, (something that naturally goes with a mulched bed) but I feel this may be incorrect.

I HATE the black edging, but I am in the same position as you...what do you put around beds that have stone in them? Some type of block or rock? It's tough, I like a natural rock so that if it is a little uneven over time, it still looks okay because the rocks aren't prefect rectangles. I still prefer the natural edge over anything, but you can't really do that with stone in the beds.

Steiner
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Here is the correct way to install the black plastic edging:

1. Buy material.
2. On way to customers home head due East or West.
3. Promptly throw edging into ocean.

Pros would never install black plastic edging as there are a multitude of better options. Or at least don't let your customer tell anyone in the neighborhood you installed it. Educate your customer and get an account for life.

Crash
04-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Here is the correct way to install the black plastic edging:

1. Buy material.
2. On way to customers home head due East or West.
3. Promptly throw edging into ocean.

Pros would never install black plastic edging as there are a multitude of better options. Or at least don't let your customer tell anyone in the neighborhood you installed it. Educate your customer and get an account for life.

Beautifully said!! :clapping:

mike174
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Agreed,

If you are pulling up the paver edge, you can replace it with a natural edge. In NJ we use natural edges with stone beds all the time. It looks fine. IMO no need for the plastic edge.