PDA

View Full Version : Can I

buysell
04-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a section of weeds 25x40....can topsoil be put over the area after all weeds are killed and plant seed?...or must it be tilled

thank you

JB1
04-27-2010, 04:11 PM
IT would be best if it was tilled.

Think Green
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
It is always best to till in topsoil. I would like to ask if this area is flat or is it on a slope?
I am a advocate of saying-" Don't create a bigger problem by tilling!" If mother nature left it this way, then leave it and topdress it. On flat ground, you can roto till the area. If on a slope, do you want to create erosion?? You can give yourself a bigger headache to deal with other than seeds coming up!

phasthound
04-27-2010, 08:40 PM
It is always best to till in topsoil. I would like to ask if this area is flat or is it on a slope?
I am a advocate of saying-" Don't create a bigger problem by tilling!" If mother nature left it this way, then leave it and topdress it. On flat ground, you can roto till the area. If on a slope, do you want to create erosion?? You can give yourself a bigger headache to deal with other than seeds coming up!

Now that's a good answer! Another solution might be to core aerate and topdress with compost.

93Chevy
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm a big advocate of tilling in most situations. However, Think Green summed it up nicely. Sorry to have another useless comment :p

buysell
04-27-2010, 09:19 PM
thanks to all for the comments....the area is on a bit of a slope ...from left to right going down..id like to keep it like that due to surface water runoff...its at the corner of the property...i believe ill top dress and not till based on educated comments here