PDA

View Full Version : What's with Lesco Pricing?

Darryl G
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Ok, now I know that Lesco has different prices depending on the sales volume of a customer, but their pricing is driving me nuts. I don't do a lot of business with them but it's where I get my grass seed, bagged straw, starter fertilizer, green barrels and other misc. stuff.

I went online today to check inventory at my local dealer, no inventory is listed on the site anymore. So I just check the pricing, call my dealer to make sure it's in stock and go to get it. Well I paid around $18.50 for the 50 pound bags of 18-24-12 starter fertilizer last year, the web site says $20.55 and I got billed $30.44/bag!!! Last year I paid $1.53/lb for the Team Mates Plus grass seed, web site says $1.09/lb and I paid $1.19. For the 3.5 cubic foot bags of Mulch Master bagged straw, the web site has that for $14.23 each...I can get that at the garden center for $12 each. After seeing that price I didn't bother to ask at my dealer. Is there any ryme or reason to Lesco pricing???

Richard Martin
04-27-2010, 05:39 PM
The store manager has the "power" to play with pricing pretty much as they see fit. I bought Lesco Trigold last fall. The online price was around $1 a pound. I got it for 50 cents.

Darryl G
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
The store manager has the "power" to play with pricing pretty much as they see fit. I bought Lesco Trigold last fall. The online price was around $1 a pound. I got it for 50 cents.

So it would appear. It just makes it kind of hard to do estimates. I like having all my pricing in Quickbooks to be accurate so I can just bang out an estimate without having to price everything out for each job. Pricing from my other vendors may change a little from year to year but nowhere near as much as Lesco. It almost seems arbitrary.

Richard Martin
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
So it would appear. It just makes it kind of hard to do estimates. I like having all my pricing in Quickbooks to be accurate so I can just bang out an estimate without having to price everything out for each job. Pricing from my other vendors may change a little from year to year but nowhere near as much as Lesco. It almost seems arbitrary.

Go back there and tell the manager what is going on. He/she can fix it. You do have an acount right? Just having an account is usually good for 20-25% off the advertised prices. If you're one of those guys that has a bizarre aversion to credit they do have cash accounts too.

Darryl G
04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I just pay with credit card at point of sale but I'm definitely in their system with a customer number and all. I should give them my tax ID number at some point so I can get things tax exempt since I'm going to resell it and tax it. That's what I do with most of my other vendors, I just always forget at Lesco. I really don't do a lot of business with them because they're out of the way but if I'm buying hundreds of pounds of seed it's worth the trip.