PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Blades

lincoln295
04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Is it me or is oregon's site hard to understand? I am tying to figure out what blades to buy for my 52" scag. Right now I use oem hi-lifts. I bag/discharge 75/25. I have tried the oem mulchers and they SUCK! They do not cut well at all and push the grass down leaving uncut stragglers. What is the best gator blade to use. (75% bagging 25% discharge.) 3 in 1, magnum, hi-lift gator, g6. I am leaning towards the gator magmun. What does everyone think?
thanks

lincoln295
04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
anybody?????

topsites
04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I think you might be complicating matters yourself some?

sdk1959
04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Is it me or is oregon's site hard to understand? I am tying to figure out what blades to buy for my 52" scag. Right now I use oem hi-lifts. I bag/discharge 75/25. I have tried the oem mulches and they SUCK! They do not cut well at all and push the grass down leaving uncut stragglers. What is the best gator blade to use. (75% bagging 25% discharge.) 3 in 1, magnum, hi-lift gator, g6. I am leaning towards the gator Magnum. What does everyone think?
thanks

I get my blades from Bailey's. They have the best prices and quick shipping. Here's the link for blades for the 52" Scag below. Hope this helps.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=Scag%2052dk&catID=9415

blakerugg
04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I get my blades from Bailey's. They have the best prices and quick shipping. Here's the link for blades for the 52" Scag below. Hope this helps.

took the words right out of my mouth. i get everything for maintenance from them too.

Lawn Pawn
04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
My post from another thread.......

Lawn Pawn, With the terminators do you get a good amount of lift? Do you discharge?

They did work as good for me regarding lift.
I never bag with the Scag.
I did make a flop up/down steel plate for mulching, they work good. If everything is bone dry the leaves disintegrate!

The Velocity deck is so nasty for generating air flow I have never used high lifts.
It is a noticeable reduction in the grass blades discharged cut length with the Terminators.
They are a life saver on certain properties that have gotten too long between mowings.

Having bragged up the Terminators.... I will add for a good standard blade.... try RUSSO in Chicago for Oregon Blades. Got a 10 pack for less than $6 a piece for my Scag 52" and Wright 36" .... as they are the same blade.

No comparison for quality between them and Terminators.... but a very good blade for that price. Russo are good people to deal with too.

grassmasterswilson
04-27-2010, 10:00 PM
just looked at the baily's site for blades for my hustler super z 54'. they don't seem to carry those. they have a 52" and the blades are 17 7/8". No 54" deck?

sdk1959
04-28-2010, 12:16 AM
just looked at the baily's site for blades for my hustler super z 54'. they don't seem to carry those. they have a 52" and the blades are 17 7/8". No 54" deck?

54" is a odd sized deck I guess.

lincoln295
04-28-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the help:)

TLS
04-28-2010, 09:57 AM
For a SCAG....OEM Marbain High lifts are the best for suction. NOT the SUPER high lifts, just the ones that come on it from the factory.

You don't get the suction you need for a clean cut with ANY type of mulching or Gator type blade.

rsp1961
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I prefer OEM. Harder steel, holds an edge much longer. Cannot stress that fact enough. Really need to research that if you are concerned about maintaining sharper cutting edge. Oregon blades suck, IMO. Not a big fan of mulching blades. High lift or standard give a clean consistent cut for me. I bought a set of Oregon blades from Baileys or one of those online hardware stores, recommended for my JD WB, and they sent ones that were just a fraction off size at the spindle. Not enough to notice when mounting them, but within a few days they had successfully stripped my spindle's threads clean and had to replace all three spindles. Be careful. Who knows your mower better than the manufacturer? Sorry if this rubs anyone wrong, just my experience with blades and my opinion. Every one has one. :)

lincoln295
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I will probably just get another set of oem hi lifts. They seem to bag better than the standard lift this time of year. During the summer I go back to the standards. The only reason I was looking at the gators was to shred the clipping better which would allow longer between emptying the bags. I should know better than to think they would work better than the OEM blades. How does anyone use mulching blades (OE or aftermarket) and get a clean cut? They just can't provide the lift needed.

TLS
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
As for Oregon blades....

I find them to be of very good quality. They are the OEM manufacturer for several brands of mowers. I am a big fan of their Fusion blades. If I don't buy OEM (in my case Oregon makes Hustlers Fusion Blade), it must be Oregon. I've used cheap blades in the past (no names), and they were soft as butter. REAL easy to sharpen, but way too soft to hold an edge through a normal day.