PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower charging system

lawnandl
04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Anybody have a diagram of the Walker mowers charging system? 1995 with a 20hp Kohler....

ericg
04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
If you go to the walker website at www.walkermowers.com, there is a link for the operating and parts manuals which have the wiring diagrams.

Eric

mikes landscaping
04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
my 99 diesel is giving my trouble had the alternator rebuilt and put a new battery in, machine still wont hold a charge. is there another voltage regulator on the machine? besides the one in the alternator?

ericg
04-28-2010, 07:21 AM
There is a ten amp circuit breaker that is in the charging system. The red wire for the alternator comes from the battery and the yellow wire is tapped into the wire for the fuel pump circuit. Did you take a voltage check at the battery itself or are you going by the voltmeter on the instrument panel?

Eric

mikes landscaping
04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Checked battery and its getting 12.5volts. The alternator is putting out 12.5 also. Gauge on the dash is showing like 13. It will run perfect for a day or two then will have a dead battery
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnandl
04-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Try this post i started... maybe something there will help. my cable to the starter was the problem after all that. frayed at the connection to the battery but i couldn't see it because of the black rubber coating over the cable...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=313383

blue_vett
07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
i am working on a walker 21hp, i am pretty new to these mowers, do walkers have an alternator or genarator? where the heck is it located? or does it generate power to charge the battery/run some other way?

ericg
07-08-2011, 07:22 AM
BlueVet, the Kohlers have an alternator that is behind the flywheel. The magnets attached to the flywheel rotate around the stator and induce ac voltage that is converted to dc voltage via the regulator.

Eric

ericg
07-08-2011, 08:01 AM
BlueVet, I should have asked you to post the model and serial number of the machine. I realize now that you are dealing with a Walker with a diesel.
That engine has an alternator like you would have on a car.
Here is the link to the owners manual with pictures etc
http://walkermowers.com/manuals/mowers/model-md-manuals/7000-8_pub.pdf

Eric

fixer67
07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Checked battery and its getting 12.5volts. The alternator is putting out 12.5 also. Gauge on the dash is showing like 13. It will run perfect for a day or two then will have a dead battery
Posted via Mobile Device

If the alternator is putting out 12.5 at full throttle then it is not putting out. You should get 13.8 to 14.5 or there bouts from the alternator. Is your alternator a one wire or two wire? One a two wire set up there is the big red wire going to the battery. There will be a smaller wire going to the key switch. The alternator has to get battery voltage on the second smaller wire to switch on to put out. DO NOT wire the second smaller wire straight to the battery or it will drain the battery when the engine is off. The Walker IPL for 1998 S/N 29676 - S/N 60191 shows a two wire set up. So does 2003 S/N 60192 - S/N 72867. Both show the second smaller wire to be yellow in color

fixer67
07-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Walker gas have a an alternator that is behind the flywheel and a separate regulator. Walker diesel have a belt driven alternator with the regulator built it.

blue_vett
07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
thanks for the reply guys!! it is a kohler gasser, after i made the post i was thinking that it was going to be under the flywheel, i will be taking it apat in the next few days, i'll let you all know what i find out thanks!

blue_vett
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
ok so i took off the metal cover and cleaned the connections on the rear of the motor, and am now getting a reading of 13.5-13.7 at the battery when running full throttle, does this sound like the charging system is working ok? also are these motors anything like a car where you can undo the battery and it will still run? if i disconnect the pos term while running it dies. is that normal?

fixer67
07-12-2011, 01:19 AM
The rectifier/regulator has to have "see" the battery before it puts out any power. When you unhook the battery the rectifier/regulator loses it reference voltage and shuts down. So yes it is normal for the engine to die when you unhook the battery while it is running. By the way when you do this the rectifier/regulator spikes for a second or so before it shuts down. If you do this on an EFI engine you could fry the computer.