PDA

View Full Version : To Paint or not to paint? That is the question..

oakwdman
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I am buying a '93 chevy dump from another member on here. only problem is his color scheme was gold/brown/black so thats what color the truck is. My personal truck and current work truck is red along with the old ford dump that I sold to a friend who will probably end up using it with my company. No matter what when I get it the bed and fender flares are gettin paint besides brown, what color that may be is up in the air still. My options as I see them are to:
1. Leave it and just make $$ with it for now.
2. Paint it red to match my current truck/the other dump
3. Paint it but start a color scheme, something off the wall that nobody else around here has and coin it.

My enclosed is green, but I find myself constantly selling/switching trailers (finding better deals etc.) so I'm not all that concerned with matching the trailer right this second.

Here is a picture of the truck as it sits right now. I'll remove the lettering right away.

P.Services
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Just keep the trailer and stop swapping equipment. Paint the dodge, the dump and the trailer all at once. Go with a unique color.
Posted via Mobile Device

oakwdman
04-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Not enough $$ right now to drop on painting everything (unfortunately). I wanna use this truck as a base point to model/paint everything else after. I already have an answer in mind I just wanna see the arguements others can bring up

Scagmower48
04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Just make the money with it, thats the smart thing to do.

oakwdman
04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Just make the money with it, thats the smart thing to do.

There's also alot to be said for a matching fleet. Not like I'm spending $2k on a paint job, it'll be an economical work truck paint job. I have always been a believer of image is everything.

Gravel Rat
04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Paint the box black peal the name off and get some plastic paint and paint the fender flares black if that brown bothers you.

streetscrapin16
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
i would paint the body red and the fender flares and bed black.

P.Services
04-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I need to paint the plastic grill on a truck, they make special paint for plastic? I was just going to use normal spray paint?
Posted via Mobile Device

oakwdman
04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Yah normal spray paint just beads on plastic. Questions answered. I'm gettin the dump and my trailer painted. and I'm painting the grill on the dump another special color along with the fender flares. Colors to remain TOP SECRET.

STIHL GUY
04-28-2010, 08:52 PM
i would just make $$ with it the way it is

oakwdman
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
i would just make $$ with it the way it is

But WHY? tell me why why why. What disadvantages are there to painting it besides cost? Could that cost not easily be justified with new customers or potential new customers that see the truck/trailer and call? Can there even be a value placed on someone seeing the truck and thinking to themselves "thats a sharp, clean looking, attention getting setup". Now they might not necessarily call but if a friend asks them would they not be more apt to mention this company over some mis matched combo? My point is there is many ways to justify painting it but what justifications could be made for not painting it?

Don't take this as argumentative.

gtmorgan89
04-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I like the idea of the matching truck and trailer. How about painting the fender flares, and bed green to match your trailer?

topsites
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
"thats a sharp, clean looking, attention getting setup".

Maybe they think like I do when I see the new truck outfit, has that thing seen any work lately?
And then they call the guy in the beat up truck because it looks like he's busy!

Not to mention, from the customer end of things, shiny and spiffy means $$$ too!
Y'all didn't think they WANTED to spend the money, did ya?
More like, well, all right.

And I'm not saying a total beat up model is as good an idea,
but I do think that truck there looks good 'as is.'

That having been said...

it'll be an economical work truck paint job.
I have always been a believer of image is everything.

You might still be onto something, find one of them $400 deals?

oakwdman
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I like the idea of the matching truck and trailer. How about painting the fender flares, and bed green to match your trailer?

B/c green is more than played out around here. If the trailer wasn't pretty much exactly what I wanted (minus color) and 15 min away I honestly wouldn't have considered it just b/c it was green.
Posted via Mobile Device

oakwdman
04-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Maybe they think like I do when I see the new truck outfit, has that thing seen any work lately?
And then they call the guy in the beat up truck because it looks like he's busy!
I would sure hope thats not how people select contractors around here. I know in the areas that I work people are not necessarily dead set on image but I can confidently say that a damn good percentage have it near the top of their list. Now also keep in mind I'm not painting an '10 F550 w/ an aluminum dubp body, its a '93 chevy dump thats has been a work truck all its life.

Not to mention, from the customer end of things, shiny and spiffy means $$$ too!
Y'all didn't think they WANTED to spend the money, did ya?
More like, well, all right.
In this case I would agree with you, but to be honest I'm not the cheapest around but I believe the work speaks for itself. At the same time they could make the jump from a well kept and quality setup to; "damn, you don't get into something like that by doing shat work." The people that hire the beat to sh*t s10 and amigos are quite honestly not the people I would/do want to attract as customers.

And I'm not saying a total beat up model is as good an idea,
but I do think that truck there looks good 'as is.'

That having been said...

You might still be onto something, find one of them $400 deals?
Somewhat yes, Friends of friends etc will be painting the truck and trailer. It's not going to a specialty shop and having the doors taken off, windows out, enging pulled to make it look like it was painted this color from factory. No door jambs, no engine bay etc.

For the Input cost here I believe the return on investment could be substantial to the point of the idea of not painting it seeming ludacris.