PDA

View Full Version : How level should your trailer be?

firebox700
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok, I searched but didn't find anything. Kind of a weird question but here goes. I just bought a 2006 Dodge 3500 and have a 3 1/4" drop receiver and theres a bit of a rake to my trailer. (the front sits higher than the rear) Should I get a bigger drop so the trailer is pretty much completely level? Anyone else have a 2500/3500 that could tell me what they use. I have a 6.5x12 Big Tex trailer.

topsites
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Mine does the same thing, the problem with that is fishtailing but the thing is,
too low a drop and the mower blades don't clear the grate :cry:

So you'll want to watch it for some time and see how it goes, if it's only a minor drop
it might be all right, otherwise get a lower drop hitch and test it out with your mower
before you leave with it!

oakwdman
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I use a pintle/ball combo that bolts to the plate that slides into the reciever. Only way to get a decent amount of drop while still being able to hold any good amount of weight.

Think Green
04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
The opposite is our problem. The trailer tilts downward in the front and slightly elevated in the back. We changed our drop hitch and added load stabilizer bars. You don't want 8-9 thousand pounds fishtailing on the highway or busy streets. If you ever have to sway suddenly for a stupid driver, a bystander or child, you won't like the consequences. I even have breakaway system and brakes.

Imow4u2
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
My trailer sits close to level, it's not your typical landscape trailer.. I bought a 20ft car hauler W the 2 ft dovetail. I purchased it with the ramp gate and slide in ramps, 3 pins and the gate comes off to haul Compact tractor/skid etc.. The reason I went this route was to have the xtra capacity and the dovetal helps a bunch W clearence.. I do have stake pockets wth 2X8 treated side boards.. It sounds "Sanford & Son" but actually looks respectable.

davis45
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
good thing you bought a 2006 1 ton truck for a 6.5x12 trailer haha

firebox700
04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
good thing you bought a 2006 1 ton truck for a 6.5x12 trailer haha

I bought the one ton because I have a camper I haul, not for the 6x12. Plus it gives me room to grow for the business and when I get a newer bigger camper.

MikeKle
04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
My dodge is a 4x4 and sits pretty high, so I use a 3" drop hitch I believe it is, The front of the trailer does sit higher than the back, guess I really need more drop on my hitch, but it works OK, Ive had the trailer at some pretty crazy angles and its never been a problem, plus like already mentioned, the higher the front is, the less the grade will be on the gate when down.

crhoades68
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I had the same question and called my trailer manufacturer. For safety reasons they recommended using a drop hitch that will level the trailer.

To identify the correct drop length they suggested the following.
1. Get the trailer on level ground.
2. Measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the trailer both before and after the wheels.
3. Lower or raise the trailer until the measurements are equal (or very close).
4. Measure the height from the ground to the trailer receiver (it doesn't matter where as long as you use the same method when you use this number for the measurement for the drop hitch).
5. Use the results from prior step to then subtract/add the distance from your hitch receiver.

Hope this helps. BTW, I am using an enclosed trailer but the method should be the same.

GravelyNut
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
No fishtailing on ours with the nose high. When the trailer and truck are fully loaded they sit close to level. And with the trailer level and a 4ft tailgate, you can snag going in at the tailgate to trailer junction.

mowisme
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
wonder why we always get a 'wise crack' to every post- gets old. I think you want to be level or slightly higher in front when empty.. if you load the bed of truck down or you put several hundred pounds up front it will be close to level loaded. Guess also depends on what is going to sit behind axles. Also if you have tall gate or shorter one. My trailer is maybe 2 inches up in front- works perfect. their are reasons for different levels as far as ease of loading..but I think over-all you'd want to be close to level once loaded. Geno