PDA

View Full Version : Aerator repair question

Yarden Of Eden
04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a ryan lawnaire 4 with a blown engine. I heard that I would need to get a 6:1 engine to replace it. I am just wondering if anyone knows what would happen if I put a standard 4 HP Honda on it?

topsites
04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
No, it won't work, and I could be wrong but that 6:1 has to do with the ratio of firings to rpm's or some such thing,
not really sure but it's something to do with crankshaft revolutions and the wrong engine
will make that thing spin out of control, in short you won't be able to operate the unit?

Unless someone else knows different I would definitely be leery of spending a lot of time on replacing
until you find out for sure but there has to be a reason for that, so...

dutch1
04-28-2010, 07:08 PM
That would be a speed reduction ratio of 6:1. If you hope to hook up a standard engine you better be an Olympic sprinter and have your track shoes on when you pull the engagement lever.

I've worked on a couple of Ryan Lawnaires of the old type (with water fillable drum on the front) but it's been long enough ago that I don't recall whether the speed reduction unit was a part of the engine or a unit that bolted onto a regular engine. It's possible if it's a bolt on you maybe able to remove it and transsfer to a new engine.

I tried to do a stab in the dark looking for a spec number with a speed reduction but had no luck.

Probably would be a good idea to call Schiller and get the straight poop on the proper engine. Schiller is the company who purchased/merged with part of Testron/Ransomes which originally owned the Ryan name.

Does it appear when looking at the engine that the speed reduction unit is a bolt on unit?

topsites
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well because ...
And I call it the transmission...

Speed reduction unit, huh?
So it's not in the engine, then?

Because I bought a Honda that was used for a power washer, and it's got a dang
impeller mounted where my aerator has the transmission...

According to the guy who sold it to me, you have to pull off the recoil end of
the engine to get to some of the bolts, then it comes off.

As for the aerator's speed reduction unit, I know at least two of the bolts are externally accessible...
That might be all there is to it, not sure, might still have to pull the engine apart, also I'm still not
100% on whether that's all there is to it, although it does stand to reason.

dutch1
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm assuming it's a four bolt hole pattern. Some time ago I replaced a hydraulic pump to a Honda engine using a bracket that used four holes. I don't recall ever removing a speed reduction assembly from a Honda but for the time being I'm sure it can be removed.

dutch1
04-28-2010, 10:50 PM
The 4 horse Honda with the 6:1 gear reduction has the id# GX120UT1-HX2 which I used to find the breakdown on the gear reduction.

http://www.wiseequipment.net/pages/parts/viewbybrand/85/HondaEngines.aspx

It is a 4 bolt attachment and should be easy to transfer to a regular 4 horse engine.