PDA

View Full Version : liquid cool or air cooled.

bkfran69
04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I am just about to buy me a new commercial ztr. I am having troube deciding between liquid or air cooled. I can get a scag liq cooled kaw for cheaper than a kohler air cooled. I think I really want the hustler super z but have not checked the price of the liqiud cool. I can also get a liquid cooled bad boy for about the same price as air cooled. this mower will be used for about 2-3 yards a week about 2-3 acres is size. I have read that the liquid cool engines are more fuel efficinent, and last longer, just want to hear your opinions.

mowerbrad
04-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Liquid cooled engines do tend to be more fuel efficient than air cooled, they are also quieter when they are running. But the downside to a liquid cooled engine is that there are more complicated things to go wrong and when something does go wrong the repair can be much more expensive than on an air cooled. And like you said the liquid cooled do last longer (usually).

But with the amount of use you will use it, I doubt that you will notice difference between the two engines. But if I had to choose, I'd go with a liquid cooled.

driver5
04-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Ive owned a Liquid cooled Exmark since December 2004. The absolute best mower ive ever owned.

With that said. The liquid cooled mower will last 1000-1500 hours LONGER than an air cooled engine. It runs quieter, less fuel and dont worry about the "possible problems" that you could have with the liquid cooled. Its no different that a car. Just check all the things that you should check and stay on top of maintanence and you will be fine.

Get the liquid. You will only wish that you did when your riding on the air cooled.

jspray
04-28-2010, 02:25 AM
The LQ Kaw on the 60" Lightning is a great machine and has given us no engine trouble.

This would be a great choice.

grassman177
04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
i would go liquid for life and money

TLS
04-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I've been there.

IMO, for your use, not worth it.

The first time you smell an antifreeze leak, the coolness goes away!

There are a LOT of great air cooled engines out there.

IF you are considering a SuperZ, make sure you get the 31 Kawi. Hustler only uses the small 26hp LC Kawi and it's a dog on a SuperZ.

yardsmith
04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
al our stuff is air cooled

JohnBanks
05-20-2010, 12:28 AM
My dad has a John Deere 797 LQ and it is great but some of the damn liquid parts are plastic/thin and you have to watch them. I have had 3 737 John Deeres (air cooled) blow heads under warranty because of over heating so I was leaning towards liquid, but just got a Hustler 31 HP Kawasaki (air cooled). It is a beast, simple engine set up. Most are switching to air cooled only because LQ maintenance issues (owners not doing maintenance).

GTAlumnus
05-20-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm not commercial, but my Scag Wildcat radiator gets clogged when its windy. This can be annoying, you have to stop and clean it out. Also, at some point it will need to be flushed, and where does the old antifreeze go? This means you'll probably have to take it in for flushing. I like that its quiet and not bad on fuel at all, but would probably go air cooled if I had it to do over again.