PDA

View Full Version : Mulch

bocat user
04-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Anyone know how to keep animals out of mulch? Somehow they alwys seem to dig holes and make a mess. Clients complain, buit I have no idea what to do about it.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Think Green
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Bob,
We installed 10 cu.yds. of mulch at a Orthopedic clinic last week. The squirrels have already destroyed the once flat appearance of the mulch. The animals are looking for stored nuts in the ground, bugs, grubs, worms, whatever there is to eat in the mulch.
What uuuurps me is these same animals always pull up or dig up and eat the roots on our freshly planted petunias. We installed 50 flats of petunias and at least 5 flats are already uprooted. PITA!!!!--can't shoot a gun in the city to kill these critters.

Hell on Blades
04-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Use Critter Gitter -- it's a pepper based product that I use on all my gardens. Reapply after rain

FuturePilot4u
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
arsenic seems to work well for me.

mike174
04-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Give a 14 yr old boy an air rifle and tell him $10 per animal :laugh:

Think Green
05-02-2010, 03:19 PM
That is the problem with most of these organic based repellents. It is always advisable to reapply after rainfall??? What about the commercial properties with water systems???
I don't have the time to keep going back over 3 times a week to reapply some pepper. The Doctor's committee won't approve such measures either.
What else would you suggest?