PDA

View Full Version : Low Lying Bushes

Marinucci_Landscaping
04-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey all,

I've got a commercial account, a car dealership, that is looking to get some low lying bushes placed in front of the car lot. The dealer really like thew idea of Spirea bushes, and how colorful/full they can be, but I'm afraid they'll just grow too large and will block the view of the cars in the lot. I'm thinking that the bushes can't grow to be more than about a foot high at max, and they need to be (more) resistant to salt... we are talking Buffalo, NY weather here. The lot gets full sun, and I can work with the area for planting if need be.

I can't seem to find any smaller species of spirea, and I'm looking for any suggestions if anyone does know of any. If not, what you would recommend for my situation? As always, thank you in advance!

- Marinucci

Marinucci_Landscaping
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Well I've done some searching and it seems as though spirea are out of the question - they'll just grow to be too big. I thought maybe potentilla, but with the amount of trimming needed to keep them small, they would never flower. I'm really struggling to find some small shrubs to fix the conditions for the estimate.

- Marinucci

Steiner
04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
pygmy barberry
catmint
phlox

Marinucci_Landscaping
04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Well hey thanks Steiner. I think I'll try to convince him to try some of that Phlox, and maybe some Barberry... as much as I hate the thorns on those things, the purple/redish color can add some nice contrast to his landscape. I'm not so sure about that mint though, I'm afraid it might take over the whole front of his lot... mint seems to have the pacasandra-like trait of just taking over everything if left unkept. I'll probably see if I can get some low lying juniper in there or something like that as well.

Thank you again, and any other suggestions or opinions would also be greatly appreciated.

- Marinucci

BCFLawnLandscape
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
what about junipers? They don't get very tall and are fairly low maintenance.

nepatsfan
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
juniper and euyonomous