PDA

View Full Version : Turning walkbehind

Tony Harrell
07-03-2002, 05:33 AM
I'm using a 32" Bob-Cat and I have to flare out slightly at the end of a turn so I don't miss any grass. Do you guys with the 48" have to do this or is it because the smaller wb's have no overhang? Also, I need to put some weight on the front end because it comes up on uphill bumpy ground. How much would you guys recommend?

Shawn Burns
07-03-2002, 05:54 AM
Tony,
I don't have any problem missing grass at the end of a row with my Toro 44" w/b. Maybe it is the overhang on the deck, i don't know.
as far as the weight , my Toro has a factory weight kit on the front of it. I think it weighs 14 pounds. It's Enough to keep it from bouncing like mad, but you can still push down on the bars and lift the front up. Hope this helps.

keifer
07-03-2002, 07:02 AM
Does the cat have single or double blades. I have a toro 32 with a single blade and it doesnt miss much.

geogunn
07-03-2002, 08:05 AM
my 48 lesco doesn't miss anything when I turn it.

GEO

bubble boy
07-03-2002, 01:07 PM
if i understand right, you must have a belt drive. your locking the inside wheel, and find you dont have enough room to make a turn and get back on line.

this happens on our toro, we just take two border passes or as you say, flare out your turns.

i would guess both the wider border, and larger deck of a 48" you could do it.

with our SD hydro ferris, 36" , same problem. but because we can instantly reverse, we make 3 point turns for each row. works really well

gogetter
07-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Tony, say you are at the end of your stripe and are turning to the right to start your next stripe in the other direction.

(without flaring) Squeeze the right brake, then halfway through the turn (at about the 90 degree point), squeeze the left brake and feather out the right brake about halfway so it's in the neutral position and pull back on that handle until you are straight and ready to stripe in the other direction.

This is the 3 point turn. This does two things:

1. It gets that little patch of otherwise missed grass.
2. It keeps you from making a divet in the grass which happens when you just lock up the inside wheel and turn.

Easier to show this all in person.

jhawk71
07-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Do what gogetter says it works.

griffin16
07-04-2002, 07:44 PM
gogetter nailed it.

Tony Harrell
07-04-2002, 09:31 PM
I tried it today and it works great, thanks a lot. I guess that technique is not unique to the smaller walkbehinds because of the divots, right? What about a hydro? I've never used one so I can't imagine how to do a turn with one.

gogetter
07-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Tony, when I started last year it wasn't until about halfway through the season until I figured out how to make the trun without making a divet or missing grass! I was so frustrated and had no one to show me. Just kinda figured it out one day in a backyard.

As far as the hydros, they are REAL easy to turn! I just started using a hydro that I bought and had never used on a lawn until last week. I love it! It does all the work, no wrestling with it in turns and backing up like a gear drive. After this I won't be buying anymore gear drives!