PDA

View Full Version : How did you get so many hours on your Engine?

FastMan
04-28-2010, 01:45 AM
There was a thread about using synthetic oil. Some swear by it, say it's worth the extra cost. I want proof!

You guys that have gotten long life out of your engines, tell me how many trouble free hours, and how you did it. What kind of oil did you use? Did you change it according to manufacture recommendation? More frequently? What other tricks did you use?

topsites
04-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Well the secret is there is no dang secret, see?

For starters you do have to change it some kind of religious,
I never used synthetic back when I got 297,000 miles out of
a VW Golf, but the oil was changed EVERY 3,000 miles from the
day that car left the dealership.

No, never missed an oil change, not even one time.
And long story short, it wasn't the engine that gave out.

So there you have it but it's no secret, all of this is clearly spelled out,
it's not going to magically happen, there is no faerie pops out from under
the hood of the car and whoops it into shape,
it boils down to doing things the way they're supposed to be done.

On the other hand, things couldn't be simpler. :p

tjlco
04-28-2010, 05:57 AM
One of my mowers that I just sold with 3300 hours....I used walmart brand oil filters and oil...every 40 hours or so, and kept the airfilter clean....So I used the cheap crap and it worked go figure

FastMan
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
OK, so far regular oil changed frequently wins out. We need more evidence though.

lawnboy dan
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
here is undisputable proof-i bought 2 brand new techumche engines at the same time-put mobil 1 in one and royal purple in the other -both are on their 3 rd year of duty with the same oil still in them! the oil is still somewhat clean looking and neither is burning oil yet. if these pos techumche engines had dino-they would most likely be dead or at the least smoking to beat the band. i am doing this strictly as an experiment .

rain man
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Ran synthetic in two non-commercial 18.5 Briggs. Changed oil every 50 hours. Mowers were exactly the same. Both wore out around 1000 hours. Can't say if it helped or not.

nepatsfan
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Ran synthetic in two non-commercial 18.5 Briggs. Changed oil every 50 hours. Mowers were exactly the same. Both wore out around 1000 hours. Can't say if it helped or not.

Briggs doesn't count they are pos engines as you have seen.

rcslawncare
04-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Keep the oil and filter changed.

siclmn
04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Keeping dirt out of the engine is how you get it to last. Change oil and filters. Buying synthetic oils and amsoil is not the solution.

CLS LLC
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Another thing that you have to take into consideration is if your engine does run dry at any point because it was leaking or burning oil or because the oil pump died. Or because you're running your mower on a hill that is too steep for it's oil capacity. It will have a MUCH better chance of being okay with synthetic than with regular oil. Also if your engine ever overheats at all because you don't blow out the cooling fins often enough or because your liquid cooled cooling system fails. You will also be much better off with synthetic because it breaks down at a much higher temperature than regular.

bobo316
04-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Another thing that you have to take into consideration is if your engine does run dry at any point because it was leaking or burning oil or because the oil pump died. Or because you're running your mower on a hill that is too steep for it's oil capacity. It will have a MUCH better chance of being okay with synthetic than with regular oil. Also if your engine ever overheats at all because you don't blow out the cooling fins often enough or because your liquid cooled cooling system fails. You will also be much better off with synthetic because it breaks down at a much higher temperature than regular.

i second that motion