PDA

View Full Version : canadian geese resistant plants

flowergirl
07-03-2002, 08:24 AM
I have a MAJOR problem with Canadian Geese eating flowers and plants on a lakefront property. I prefer not to use any herbicide. Any plant suggestions??

Old Guy
07-04-2002, 03:39 PM
When you say "Geese Resistant" do you mean plants that geese won't eat or plants that might suggest the geese go somewhere else?

flowergirl
07-05-2002, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for any plant suggestions that Canadian Geese do not like to eat. I would prefer not to spray any pesticides, because of a young child on the property.

DaddyRabbit
07-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi
I actually raise Giant Canada Geese and Cackling Geese and 2 plants that come to mind that they don't favor is Purple Heart or Queen and Azalea'a. I am sure they wouldn't care for some Golden Euonymus as well. Anything w/a thick coarse leaf isn't tasty to a Goose I wouldn't think.

lawnstudent
07-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Mowed lawns and water are ideal habitat for Geese. The low lawns allows geese to see preditors. They hate high grass. If you can naturalize the lake front and use native grasses (that are not mowed), you will discourage the geese. Dogs work as well. Golf courses and local airports have hired dog handlers to chase geese from around their lakes/ponds. Border collies seem to be the dog of choice. Just a couple of alternatives. Good luck.

jim

flowergirl
07-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Thank you very much for the plant suggestions and ideas for the property. I will suggest to the homeowner all the above and we'll see what we can come up with. Thanks for the responses and hopefully the problem will be resolved. thanks!!!! Flower girl