PDA

View Full Version : which direction for striping

1999frontier
04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to figure out which direction of mowing will give me the most defined stripes on my lawn. I know the sun has a lot to do with it but I thought I would ask.

If you draw a square or rectangle(representing front lawn) the sun comes up in the top left corner of square/rectangle. Then will move to top right, bottom right. Maybe I'm trying to get too technical. I cut it mostly during the afternoon when the sun is at the right side to bottom right corner. I've been cutting at 3.5" but yesterday I mowed at 4". Any help?

CTmower
04-28-2010, 10:33 AM
My stripes all depend on the posistion of the house and the property. I usually try and make mine most visible while driving by the property so I usually try and set up straight up and down line then a nice diagnal line over the top of that. Sometimes if the house has a long curvey driveway I'll follow that. I definitely think your over thinking striping, just lay down what you think will look best!

jhawk60
04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
For the stripes to show throughout most of the day you would want a diagonal pattern in this direction:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2hywgp4.jpg

To show up more distinctively while you are mowing a simple left to right-right to left pattern would do it.

93Chevy
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I agree with the above poster that said about making the stripes most visible from the road. I do the same thing. I do think quite a bit about exact angle and wish direction to go a particular week, so the OP is not alone is over thinking the situation.

Robert Pruitt
04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
be sure you change your mowing direction so you do not set up a tire pattern.

Robert Pruitt
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
you can cut four different directions, the stripe is shown best with the sun at your back. see above. you can see three different (lighter) stripes.

STIHL GUY
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM
i change up the mowing direction every week

CincyWolf
04-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Someone needs to offer a community college class on The Science of Lawn Striping. In fact, I think I'll develop the course and license it to all community colleges across the country. The best part is that everyone on Lawnsite.com will get to attend the 2 week course (2 days per week) for a discounted price of only $89.

If there is enough interest I'll work with Lawnsite to help distribute it via the internet for those of you that learn better on a computer vs. in a classroom.

rcslawncare
04-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Diagonal looks the best I have found, but is not practical on some properties. Just do what looks good and keep trying new things.

topsites
04-28-2010, 10:43 PM
It takes practice.

Darryl G
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
If you just mow around in circles you won't have to worry about it.

ronslawncare
04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
every house i try but its not possiable to do sometimes, 1st wk the cutting pattern is up and down,second wk right diagonal pattern,3rd wk is left diagonal pattern this creates stripes even in the shttiest lawns.sometimes we get behind with rain or what not and do a regular side to side cut and the spoiled customers will call and say hey i like when u do the chris crosses what happen this wk lol.thats the downside once you start its expected every wk if yur in a rush or not,customers will expect it every wk.

Robert Pruitt
04-28-2010, 11:43 PM
what's the rush? still cutting the same amount of grass.