PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

Stattick
04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey guys.
I'm in Saskatchewan (saskatoon actually).

We just purchased a house in the city that has a lot of approx 1/3 acre. it has a lot of mulch in some beds that we are going to turn to flower beds and it has a lot of lawn.

1.Any recommendations on how to lighten up the soild that has been under landscape fabric for years? it appears very heavy and clay-like. Peat Moss?

2. I have always assumed teh best way to maintain a lawn was to bag your clippings at all times is this correct?

3. How often should I fertilize?

If anyone knows of a forum more specific to my area I would love to see it!

Thanks for your time.

psujeeperman02
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Stattick,
I am a new homeowner as well and youve asked some great questions.
Unfortunately, I can only answer your #2.

Ive read that it is actually beneficial to mulch your clippings and put them back into the lawn. This is supposed to put nutrients back into your lawn. I only bag my clippings at the end of the mowing season when my lawn is covered with leaves.
Hope this helps a bit.

Oh, also, a guy I work with buys a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer and puts it down every two weeks but knocks down the amount he puts down at one time.
So, for example, if the bag says to set your spreader to 5, he'll set his to 2.5-3 and does it more often.
now if your lawn isnt too big, you should be fine because the grass will surely grow fast.

jsmonroeCT
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I'll give it a shot -

(1) To loosen up the soil, you will need to aerate your lawn or till it and replant. If the soil is too hard the seed will have a hard time growing
(2) I always leave my clippings on the lawn until fall (leaves). I don't cut on a schedule but rather when the lawn tells me - if the lawn is growing fast I cut more often. If your grass is tall and it cant be cut I bag the clippings until I can get back to normal
(3) Fertilizer application will depend on the fert. Ex - I use Converted Organics (a new organic fert i'm trying - used milorganite for years) and will apply it every 6 weeks. Since its organic and comprised of recycled food I don't worry about it burning the lawn if I put "too much" of it down. So far the results have been good and this is coming from a neglected lawn that I just took over this year.

I hope this helps.

Jeff