PDA

View Full Version : drip irragation

Pacific Nursery
07-03-2002, 05:07 PM
I did a search, but found nothing, maybe someone could help me.
I've a client that wants me to put drip irragation to his containers.
There is a water (irragation) line run nearby. Can I just 'poke' into the existing line and run 'spagetti' to each container?

gvandora
07-03-2002, 07:21 PM
Is it a mainline? Then yes, you would need to add a valve and run wire back to the controller if not, it would be difficult since drip zones run at reduced pressure with regulators and filters to prevent clogging of the little tiny drip holes.

Pacific Nursery
07-04-2002, 11:39 PM
I don't think it's a main line. There are four or five heads running off of it for a bed. Mister heads I believe.
Is this something I can learn and do or would/should I find a sub and farm it out?
I'd like to learn how to do it and offer it as a new service.
Looking for advice.
Thanks

Chuck Sinclair
07-05-2002, 02:15 AM
1. Drip runs on REDUCED pressure
2. Drip uses filters
3. Drip irigation is TOTALY different then the bed line you are talking about, IMO they should not be MIXED

HBFOXJr
07-08-2002, 09:05 AM
It may be possible to do this but there are a number of considerations such as size of container vs GPH of emitters, pressure, filtration as previously mentioned and operating schedule used for the spray heads.

Netafim is an excellent drip product manufacturer. Consult an irrigation distributor in your area that really knows drip products and engineering.

Let us know what you learn or do.

Ground Master
07-08-2002, 06:39 PM
I believe you can do this.

1. Tee into existing line that feeds the existing zone , install a valve box with a filter and a pressure reducing valve. Rainbird makes a kit for this.

2. Run 1/2" line to your containers, then smaller tubing to the planters.

3. You will have to experiment with emitter size depending on how long the zone runs for the flower bed.

dan deutekom
07-08-2002, 07:56 PM
You should tap into the existing mainline and make the drip system a separate zone. Make sure the timer can handle the extended time drip systems need to operate. I wouldn,t mix drip and spray heads on the same zone.

HBFOXJr
07-08-2002, 09:06 PM
It is entirely possible to match precipitation rates of drip and conventional surface irrigation. Don't say you can't do. Netafim says you can and they are about the biggest player in the world.

BUT, if you have small containers and root mass as compared to the top of the plant, watering on a different schedule from conventional surface irrigation may be required in order to have an adequate, continuously available supply of moisture for the container plant.

That is why I said consult with a local, knowledgable supplier. If you can't do this make it separate as you can't go wrong that way. Make sure that the controller can be programmed to deliver the desired watering schedule for the drip.

Pacific Nursery
07-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Didn't think about all that. Nothing's ever easy, is it?
I think I'll contact someone who knows and try to learn something from them. I let you know how it goes.
I'd still like to learn these installs for drip. Good mkt for higher end clients.

tony58
07-31-2002, 10:01 PM
pacific nursery,
Try www.robertsirrigation.com and check out there spot spitters.I'm going to install 400 later this summer when I get time.Hope this might help,they make good stuff.
tony 58

JimLewis
08-02-2002, 03:29 AM
I am with Chuck Sinclair. I wouldn't EVER mix turf zones with any other kind of zone and I'd never put another kind of system on the same lateral line as another one.

If you want to do it right, you'd have to tap into an existing drip zone or create a new one with a new valve, pressure reducer kit (kit includes filters, etc.) and then install drip line. Then from the drip line you'd install bugs, small tubing, and whatever emitter is appropriate.

If you don't already know about this stuff, I wouldn't mess with it. If you want to learn this stuff, sub out for it for a few times but watch the guy who you sub out to. Eventually you'll catch on.

Alternatively, you can learn a lot from going to Irrigation Supply stores. They are usually very helpful. But I still wouldn't do this job until you were sure you knew what you were doing.

I have a rule; I'll never take on any job if I don't feel 100% sure I know how to do it and do it right. Customers don't deserve to be Guinea Pigs. They deserve professional service from someone who knows how to do the job professionally.