PDA

View Full Version : shortcut price/value

zcases
07-03-2002, 05:23 PM
I am curious about retail price on the shortcut - 60" side dis, 25hp gas. How about used value on this type of unit, 2 yrs old with 1000 hrs?

I don't see a lot of posts on this model compared to the Z's, how do they compare?

Thanks

Doc Pete
07-03-2002, 07:35 PM
The basic design of the Shortcut is great. However, besides the bagger being a joke: dropping the grass on the ground only instead of putting it in bags/box (as the name suggests), the wheels suffer from the same mentality as the WBís. And that is, too small diameter and too small sidewall. Iíve tried to modify the Shortcut with better tires, but the brake system will not allow smaller rims (bummer).
Anyway the Shortcut also suffers from the same syndrome as a small Jeep or Geo tracker, which it too short a wheelbase. The Shortcut rocks fore and aft, like a bucking bronco. The easy way to find out for yourself is drive one on rough ground. You will find out fast. Furthermore, if you ask any good dealer, Iím sure they will admit the Shortcut wonít be in production for much longer. That should tell you the whole story.
Good luck,
Pete

blairbuc
07-31-2003, 02:48 PM
switchless

what do you mean dropping the grass on the ground instad of bagging. Is this on the side discharge or the upper deck. If anything, my upper deck with 8 blades is extreamly strong with the 3600 rpm option and 25 hp Kohler. Mine is a 2001, I know earlier versions has less power and less rpm. What year is yours?

Doc Pete
08-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by blairbuc
switchless

what do you mean dropping the grass on the ground instad of bagging.

As with many things Hustler does, they come so close to perfection but miss the mark, as with the standard WB and Shortcut. Many of us wonder who Hustler is listening to. In the case of the Shortcut, the Bacvac must dump itís clippings on the ground when itís full. Now ask yourself, how many customers that want their lawn bagged will allow you to dump the clippings in the back of their beautifully manicured lawn? Not many Iíll bet. And, to remove the clippings from the property, you must first dump them on a tarp and then manhandle them into your truck. Thatís very unproductive. Exmark and others have the very nice catcher system that dumps the clippings in bags and lets you throw the clippings from the bag directly in the truck.
Finally, Hustler may have thought about using the Bacvac to dump leaves on the curb in the fall, but thatís such a small part of the seasonal work and not allowed in many states, that again, someone at Hustler just wasnít thinking. Iím glad to see they are now offering bagging systems like Exmark that are much more practical and efficient than the Bacvac.
Pete