PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 900 or Ferris IS

trook
04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Alright guys, I have narrowed my search to the JD 900 series or the Ferris IS1500 or 2000. My concern is how the ride on the JD will compare with the Ferris on bumpy lawns. Will those who have ridden both please give me your opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

ashgrove landscaping
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
The 900 series is more comparable with the 3100 ferris I think. The 2000 ferris will be a better ride than the JD for sure. Ferris's new icd deck is top notch. I ve been using it for the past month on my 3100 and I cant say enough good things about it. JD has an excellent cut as well so I guess dealer support and comfort are your big factors. If the JD is the MOD version then you have a tougher decision. Both are extremely reliable and durable. The suspension seat is must on the JD so maybe that will be enough for you. Good luck.

rcslawncare
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Rode a buddies Ferris but it was a smaller one than a 60" a while ago, rode real nice. Seems real smooth and left a nice cut. ID rather be on my 900, but thats after demoing alot of mowers and choosing the one that fit the bill the best.

trook
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Did the Ferris ride better than the deere?
Posted via Mobile Device

rcslawncare
04-28-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't recall as the Ferris was a smaller machine, light commercial and my deere is the real deal. It is the best mower of operator comfort I have found in all my demoing of mowers. So, if the Ferris rode better, I still wouldn't change, the Z900 is a operator friendly machine.

Lawn by Deere
04-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Demo both of them and see which you prefer.

mowerbrad
04-28-2010, 11:43 PM
You will get a smoother ride from the ferris, there is no question about that....afterall it does have the full suspension system. Since the deere has no suspension system the ride will be more "jolty" on rough terrain. However, like others have pointed out you aren't comparing "apples to apples". The ferris that you're looking at is one that is more light commercial while the deere is a full size, full commercial machine.

Try and get a demo of both mowers and see which one you like better. Since you seem to be focussing on the ride of the mower, demoing will be the best way to find out which one you like. But I'm partial to JD and their 7-iron decks.

trook
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I like the ergonomics of the deere and I like JD in general. However, I am concerned that the ride of the JD may be significantly less comfortable than the Ferris on bumpy terrain. Is this a reasonable concern or would the ride be only slightly less comfortable?
Posted via Mobile Device

trook
04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Bump
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh-popcorn
04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
I test drove a Ferris IS2000Z and a JD Z920A both 60" and purchased a JD 950A 72" C&C with Pro Suspension Seat this morning. Yes the Ferris is more comfortable but I choose the JD.

ashgrove landscaping
04-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Fresh-popcorn, So why did you choose the jd?? You said the ferris is more comfortable. so give a reason to your backwords decision. Either way i undertand but lets hear an explanation.

Fresh-popcorn
04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Not really a backwards decision. Yes the Ferris has a better ride but if that was all I was looking for then yes I would of bought the Ferris. For just a little bit higher price I got a much more powerful machine in the JD Z950A Kaw31hp with 72" Deck and Comfort/convenience package. A true Commercial mower, great dealer support, and a much better financing rate.

Not saying that the Ferris isn't a nice mower but if I was to get something equivalent "apples vs apples" I would of spent much more on the Ferris.

ashgrove landscaping
04-30-2010, 01:23 AM
yeh yea i get it. The 3100 is the real comparison though and is the definition of a commercial mower. It has the 32 briggs big block. Yes the ferris is probably more $$. but the Jd is just as bad ass im sure

trook
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
How much more comfortable was the Ferris? A little or a lot?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh-popcorn
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
How much more comfortable was the Ferris? A little or a lot?
Posted via Mobile Device

Its hard to say. I didn't get a chance to ride the Ferris on rough lawn like I did the Deere. The dealer I went to for the John Deere (in Howell, MI) there was a very large open grassy lot with a very high & steep slope to test it on. Similar to if your driving on a freeway with a bridge going over it and if you look on the side of the bridge there is usually a large grassy slope.
The salesman told me I could take it up the slope and I did at almost the steepest part. It was a good 400 feet to the slope and the terrain was very rough. It was a bumpy ride but I could honestly say that my property or others that I have cut have never been that rough.
I ordered the Pro Suspension Seat for my JD that I bought so that should help with some of the rougher terrain.

For me, if I had bad back troubles and I was still stubborn enough to cut my own grass I would most likely went with the Ferris.

trook
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
How much was the suspension seat? Is it supposed to make a substantial difference?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh-popcorn
04-30-2010, 12:53 PM
The Pro Suspension Seat is MSRP $293.00 but got it at cost buying it with the new mower.
I won't know until they get it in since they had to order it.
My new Deere is suppose to be delivered tomorrow and will use it after I get off of work Saturday evening. At least I can try it before the suspension seat gets in and then after once I get it to know the difference.
Another option for a more comfortable ride would be to lower the air pressure in the tires.

trook
04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
PLEASE post a comparison of the different seats once you have a chance of trying them both. I would really like to buy a JD920, but I'm afraid the ride may not compare to the Ferris is1500. I am hoping that the seat may make the ride between the two more comparable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn by Deere
04-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Smooth as silk

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/waterfowlmagnet/003-1.jpg