PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower Problems

bhannalhsr
04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a Walker Mower Model # MB50.
My question is:
I replaced the Solenoid with a new one and the problem I am having now is,
I am getting fire/voltage from the battery to the Solenoid but am not getting any fire/voltage from the Solenoid to the Starter.
Can anyone tell me why?

Is it possible that I may have a relay out and if so, which one?

Any help would be appreciated ASAP.
Ben

ericg
04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Why did you replace the solenoid? What was the initial problem? There is a relay which is associated with the start circuit. It is relay B. It has two black, two yellow and two purple wires attached to the plug for the relay. There are several safety presence switches which will prevent the starter from engaging such as if the pto was left on. If you still feel that the relay is defective, swap it out with one of the other relays as they are all the same. Here is the link to the wiring diagram:
http://www.walkermowers.com/manuals/mowers/model-mb-manuals/4000-3_pub.pdf

Eric

bhannalhsr
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I replaced the Solenoid because, I would hit the 1 time nothing would happen. Could turn the key back and it would turn over and start. Battery would go down every 3 to 4 day ( it is a brand new battery) would have to jump it off several time because not enough battery power to turn it over. Only getting 14.9 amps when running not 16. Then mowing with it, it died would not start but would turn over. I am getting gas and fire to the plugs. Gas and fire should make it start. I feel I am working a puzzle. Your feed back is greatfully appreciated. This is why I changed the solenoid and now I am not getting any fire out of the side of the solenoid that goes to the starter
Ben

ericg
04-29-2010, 06:09 AM
It seems like you have several issues. You should charge the battery and start off fresh. There are so many things that could be the cause of your starting problem. A defective ignition switch could cause the starter to engage or not engage. The low charging voltage could be due to a bad voltage regulator, a poor ground or a bad stator. I think that you should work on your starting issues first and then the charging issues.

Eric

Luke Reedy
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
I have had many problems with mine and what i have learned is to only jump off mower to get it on the trailer and that's it. If you jump it off too many times you will burn up alot of stuff(costing you money). My problems were all electrical and after alot of headaches, the problem seems to be solved, only time will tell. I was burning fuses, draining batteries, the mower wouldn't start at times, and cut off for no reason in the middle of cutting. Stator was changed twice, entire electrical system changed, regulators changed, and many batteries later the problem seems to be taken care of. There is a wire somewhere in the back of the machine that was not connected properly and this, I hope, was the problem. I had this problem since week 2 of owning the machine and it just got figured out one month ago. In June I will have owned the machine for 3 yrs. I've got to tell you Walker has been great about eating the cost of all repairs even though it was way out of warranty because they realize I've had the problem since basically day 1. Good luck.

ericg
04-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Luke, how many manufacturers would provide that much service. especially after the warranty was up? This is why we just purchased two more Walkers. You can't beat them as far as cutting is concerned. They are labor intensive but I like that better than the machines that have you look at the machine less.

Eric

Luke Reedy
04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
I do like them a lot. I've always talked very highly of them and always enjoyed showing them off to EVERYONE. We currently have three, but I've got to tell you, with this particular one it has really made me rethink buying another. I told the dealer in December or January that I would buy another this year for their open house in March. With all of these problems I had to tell him I was going to wait because I didn't feel comfortable buying another without this one being fixed. I didn't want this one to go on the back-burner because I bought a new one. Like i said before, we think the problem is solved so I may get another before the end of the year. We actually have Walker lawnmowers on our workshirts and I don't want to have to get new ones!!!! lol

ericg
04-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Luke, I hope that your machine is finally fixed. I know of people who have had issues with Scag's and they are not cheap machines either. No matter what, you can't beat the cut of a Walker. I wish you luck and hope that you get another Walker.
Have a great season.

Eric

Luke Reedy
05-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm sure the season will go pretty good. I'm actually getting my old bagger and a Super B out of the shop tomorrow after some repairs. After that we will have all of our mowers will be up and ready to go. Like I said, we have three Walkers(all '48), and a '52 Gravely. I'm ready to cut.