PDA

View Full Version : Today I Hit a Snake and See Guts

FuturePilot4u
04-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Today while riding a tractor mower i am cutting along and hit a decent size snake about 14 inches long. I did not know i hit it till I almost hit it a second time. Its back half was cut up and there was blood and guts showing. It was still alive and i think it will still survive as after i watched it it slithered off into the creek after about 5 minutes. I felt sorta bad for the little fellow.

I also would have took pictures and now i learned my lessons to always bring my camera.

What is the worst/weirdest thing/animal you have hit?

Trevor8
04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
haha i hate snakes. i was weed eating and i saw something slither away and was scared to death. i told the lady and see said oh yeah i have a whole nest in my garage. She even said she lets her dog chase them around.

STL Cuts
04-29-2010, 12:11 AM
I HATE snakes.

The worst thing I hit happened the first time I was cutting around the sewage lines on a common ground. The grass was a little high and I was mowing with a 22" Toro and heard a loud thud. I thought I had hit a tree stump, turned out it was a turtle. The blade had taken off part of the top of his shell. I felt bad for the little guy and took him into the woods.

Differential
04-29-2010, 12:23 AM
When I was a teenager, I was mowing my parents' lawn, on a craftsman rear engine p.o.s. The grass was really tall, so when I stopped to look, there were pieces of turtle shell, guts, and wet grass clippings in a straight line six feet from the discharge. It was nasty.

MileHigh
04-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I had 3 accounts in a culdesac...everything was going good. There was this for sale house in between two of them. During the season I got a call and was asked to mow the place just once, so I gave a price and got the job.

When I was in the back yard, about to destroy some creatures homes where the grass was about a foot high..I mutilated what had to be like 10 or 15 baby rabbits...I hit a nest and killed a couple, got my nerve back..thinking that has to be it, then hit another nest or whatever and seriously massacred the yard...it was nasty...some where just scalped...others were cut into parts...I felt horrible. Stupid rabbits.

Needless to say...I left that yard in shambles, with bloody baby rabbit parts everywhere, and grass still a foot long in 80% of the back.

I lost all three accounts, never was payed for the mowing, and didn't ever give a chit....:laugh:

rain man
04-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Hate snakes. Many eons ago used to have to crawl under a lot of houses on a job. Worst thing was seeing fresh snake tracks at the crawl space and knowing one was probably under there.

rjh4758
04-29-2010, 01:50 AM
I had 3 accounts in a culdesac...everything was going good. There was this for sale house in between two of them. During the season I got a call and was asked to mow the place just once, so I gave a price and got the job.

When I was in the back yard, about to destroy some creatures homes where the grass was about a foot high..I mutilated what had to be like 10 or 15 baby rabbits...I hit a nest and killed a couple, got my nerve back..thinking that has to be it, then hit another nest or whatever and seriously massacred the yard...it was nasty...some where just scalped...others were cut into parts...I felt horrible. Stupid rabbits.

Needless to say...I left that yard in shambles, with bloody baby rabbit parts everywhere, and grass still a foot long in 80% of the back.

I lost all three accounts, never was payed for the mowing, and didn't ever give a chit....:laugh:

Reminds me of when we would cut hay. We cut into rabbits, pheasants and the occasional fawn hiding in the hay. Then we would bale up snakes hiding under the hay in the field. Always fun unloading a hay bale with a PO'ed snake in it.

rustyj
04-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Agreed kinds off topic one day I was working on job with lots of snakes we found one dead and stuck it in the truck the mexicans were driving in drivers seat man when he found it he was pissed and on top of that he pissed himself you could see it threw his pants
Posted via Mobile Device

FuturePilot4u
04-29-2010, 03:46 PM

that sounds horrible! i dont think i would have to gut to keep mowing after hitting a whole nest!:cry: and i thought what i hit was bad!

FuturePilot4u
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
I HATE snakes.

The worst thing I hit happened the first time I was cutting around the sewage lines on a common ground. The grass was a little high and I was mowing with a 22" Toro and heard a loud thud. I thought I had hit a tree stump, turned out it was a turtle. The blade had taken off part of the top of his shell. I felt bad for the little guy and took him into the woods.

that is when its the worst, when you know hes alive just hurting, id rather have it go in peace. :help:

Hawg City Lawns
04-29-2010, 03:54 PM
i hit a baby rabbit with a trimmer the other day i picked the little guy up 3 times to move him away from a privacy fence sucker ran right into the string i felt horrible i hate when you dont kill them and theyre still alive then you have to hit them with a shovel to end its suffering its awful i still feel bad and that was like 3 weeks ago

Yater
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I ran over a snake with a rat in its mouth last year.

Randocammando
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
((oh yeah i have a whole nest in my garage. She even said she lets her dog chase them around.))

LOL watch out doggy

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
You guys realize rabbits are nasty rodents, right? The damage they cause to landscape plants in the winter is unreal. Don't feel too bad about hitting one of those with the mower.....I don't do it on purpose of course, but accident....oh well.

rtharris
04-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Frogs and toads make a terrible mess also
Posted via Mobile Device

Cboy7
04-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I felt too bad to say a baby rabbit ran under my deck and I mulched it right in, but now that serial killer guy said he massacred a whole town of baby rabbits... oooooh man!

coxslawncare
04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I have hit a rabbit with the walkbehind before. Hit a squirrel last year on an overgrown rental property, I'm not sure why it didnt run but I heard a thud and saw half of a squirrel coming out of the deck. Almost hit a turtle last year, I saw it right before I was going to hit it and lifted the deck with the foot pedal and just made enough contact with it that it rolled it over but did not hurt it other than a small ship in its shell. Its amazing what you find on rentals

Hoy landscaping
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
i hit some groundhogs... cant say i wasn't trying tho!

Robert Pruitt
04-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Have hit several rabbits and turtles over the years. came down the driveway yesterday evening after walking the dogs and there was a black snake about 6ft. sunning on the bottom step of the porch. glad i saw it before the dogs did. just chased it off with a stick.

STIHL GUY
04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
i hit a baby bird while trimming once

FuturePilot4u
04-30-2010, 12:35 AM
You guys realize rabbits are nasty rodents, right? The damage they cause to landscape plants in the winter is unreal. Don't feel too bad about hitting one of those with the mower.....I don't do it on purpose of course, but accident....oh well.
it wasnt 1 tho, it was a l;ike 30!

drumz2129
04-30-2010, 07:35 AM

But they sure are tasty!

When I bush hog the back of my property and get down to the last 2 or 3 middle strips, all kinds of things come out of there on the last few passes. I usually carry a 357 with rat shot shells for the field mice, it makes good target practice. Im not sure customers would appreciate it though.

whosedog
04-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Trimming the top of my 4 foot high bushes for the first time this year,I chopped into a garter snake before I realized he was there,he was too mangled to survive so I put him out of his misery;I hate to see anything suffer.My wife ran over some Canadian geese that tried to cross a 6 lane highway at rush hour,couldn't avoid them,I had to wash the guts out of the wheel wells.We did chop up a few baby rabbits that decide to pop up just when the mower was over the nest, the partially digested mothers milk looked like cottage cheeze coming out of them,really can't do anything, just put them out of their misery.