PDA

View Full Version : For the mulching guys.

rcslawncare
04-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Need to put a chute blocker on my mower, but would it be easier to just buy the mulching kit and keep it on all the time. Can it handle grass that fast and leave a good cut without clippings everywhere. Also, does it help or hurt your stripe? Its about the same price as the blocker, just wondered if it would be any better to just go that route. Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

unkownfl
04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
The mulch kit slows me down here. If I go to fast it starts missing strands here and there. I don't know about the stripes kinda hard to stripe here. The kit is hard to take off if you need to. The blocker leaves a row of clippings where the discharge chute is so thats a negative too.

Trevor8
04-28-2010, 11:55 PM
what type of mower do you have

rcslawncare
04-29-2010, 12:00 AM
JD Z925 with the 60" 7 Iron pro deck. I figured the blade blocker would be for going by windows, not full time use, but if the mulching would work, why not keep it one for good...? But it has the 27 HP on it, plenty for side discharging,but didn't know if it would bog it down with the 60" cut.

sharpcuts
04-29-2010, 12:18 AM
27 is plenty for the mulching kit. It depends on how much your taking off in a cutting. If its over 2" you wont be impressed with the mulch kit.

rcslawncare
04-29-2010, 12:28 AM
I only do properties that get maintained weekly, thus not doing overgrown lots. I didn't think it would be a problem. Just don't wanna spend the money just to take it off. I might give it a try, would be nice not worrying about the discharge into mulch or cars.

ramcat
04-29-2010, 12:36 AM
We leave ours on all year....it makes everything look bagged and you don't have to worry about shooting grass everywhere. Stragglers aren't a problem with our Deere Z950 with the mulch kit.....so you should be good, the 7-iron is great for mulching!

rcslawncare
04-29-2010, 12:38 AM
And how bout your striping? Enhance them or no difference? Thanks for the info, might be the way to go. Does it clog at all or is it as good as the 7 Iron discharging?

sharpcuts
04-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Never noticed any difference in the stripe. You shouldn't have any problems with clogging unless its wet or your cutting weeds.

unkownfl
04-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Another issue is if you drive across driveways etc. it will dump a ton of clippings onto the ground. Not a big deal if you remember but cutting across the sidewalk is a no no.

MJB
04-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Mulching improves the stripe. I was thinking of buying thr same machine you have and puting the mulch kit on it. JD decks mulch well or better than most, but there is a limit even for them. It well slow you down some mulching, but once you get use to it it's nice. Sometimes you have to doublecut, but you would if you closed the chute off with the blocker too. The MOD deck sounds like the best way to go.

rcslawncare
04-29-2010, 01:00 AM
yea, I was gonna go that way, and yes, that is a great point about the pavement. I guess I have a little thinking to do and see what I can come up with. Anyone got any mulching pictures they would like to show off? Like a before and after to get an idea of the length your taking off and how it does? Thanks for all the responses. Every bit helps!!

ramcat
04-29-2010, 06:51 PM
it definately looks better than discharging because when discharging the clippings are visible and the 7-iron clippings are long. The only trouble we ever had yet was last week mowing a "one time a month" job :hammerhead: What happens is the clippings load up in the deck and you get too much in there for the blades to spin fast and chop them up and it bogs you down. We were probably cutting 2.5-3 inches off so we just raised the deck and were able to go faster. But ANY job that is mowed weekly or even every other week will be fine with the mulch kit. Only bad thing is once you get it on you'll want to keep it on cuz theres about 30 bolts that hold it on and some you are forced to tighten with a box end....and for initial installation you have to drill two holes but with that said the 7-iron has made us believers. We used to have a Walker and thought it was great because it didn't shoot grass in people's mulch but we had to bag everything, now we don't put grass in mulch or bag and the cut is great!:cool2:

ed2hess
04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
One of our units is a Tiger Cub 48" and last year I put the full mulch package on that was sitting in the shop for 3 years. Everything worked fine until we got to spring and got in tall grass and that was what I thought would be the problem. So.....we have used a blocker on all our units for 35 years and it mulches good enough. No question the full kit really does a great job on leaves and we will probably put it on in the fall. We also do some ponds where we have to discharge and it would really really be painful to take that kit off/on each week.

lawnsnorth
04-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I have mulched quite a bit and have found that if you make some small changes to your routine that you can avoid a lot of the problems that have been mentioned with mulching. We often open up a lawn by making a couple rounds around the outside edges. Then when you cross sidewalks and driveways it gives the deck a chance to unload the clippings in the already cut area. It will still leave more grass than bagging when crossing but if you are already blowing off the properties anyways its not a big deal. We have also found in general that mulching keeps the decks of the mowers cleaner. The only reason I can think of for this is that the flying debris under the mower helps remove any build up. We demoed a exmark phazer 34" with the 19hp Kawi and that thing was incredible. It was mulching stuff that we were having trouble bagging with our other mowers. I think it was because it had so much power for the size of the deck.

GlynnC
05-01-2010, 03:12 PM
One of our units is a Tiger Cub 48" and last year I put the full mulch package on that was sitting in the shop for 3 years. Everything worked fine until we got to spring and got in tall grass and that was what I thought would be the problem. So.....we have used a blocker on all our units for 35 years and it mulches good enough. No question the full kit really does a great job on leaves and we will probably put it on in the fall. We also do some ponds where we have to discharge and it would really really be painful to take that kit off/on each week.

Ed, which blocker are you using--or would you recommend? I have one commercial account where the mulch beds are so close together that it's impossible to mow without getting clippings in a mulch bed--don't want to leave it in place all the time, just when around these mulch beds.

mowerbrad
05-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Should have just gone with the MOD deck like me :)

rcslawncare
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
haha, thanks Brad! Yea, I have broke a window already this year at a rental and am not doing it again. And yes, the guard was down at the time, usually not. Im just thinking about getting the power blade blocker. Im still a little leery about spending the money on the mulch kit.

jnrogers
05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I use a mulch kit all the time. Doesnt really slow me down too much. The only thing I have noticed is that if you mow tall grass you will need to clean your deck out. As far as striping I honestly think mine does better with the mulch kits. We mow with ours at full speed. I have a JD 717A so mine only has a 19hp engine. With that size of a mower I think you will like the mulch kit.

ed2hess
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Ed, which blocker are you using--or would you recommend? I have one commercial account where the mulch beds are so close together that it's impossible to mow without getting clippings in a mulch bed--don't want to leave it in place all the time, just when around these mulch beds.

I unfortunately have a bolt on unit from Scag. I looked at that new device Scag came out with for blocker but not impressed. I am having our shop make me a blocker that I can simply remove and put back on with no bolts., I am afraid all those electric gadgets are going to be problmatic long term and costly short term.

AOD
05-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I made my own mulch plug for my Z master. Toro dealer wanted $130 fr a mulch kit that was little more than a chinzy plastic plug. I made one out of a chunk of 3/4" oak plywood and bolted it to the deck. When it breaks I have a solid piece of oak to make a new one out of. When that breaks I'll make one out of steel.

Trevor8
05-01-2010, 11:44 PM
trimmer trap bade blocker. I have on for my wb. the only hard part is the installation of it

rcslawncare
05-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, thinking twice, both are around the same price. Might just go for the mulch kit and hope for the best. Just don't want clippings all over. Would I need to run gator blades or are the factory high lifts fine for what you guys do? Thanks fore the info!

sharpcuts
05-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I run the factory mulching blades. I only like gators for leaves. too much lift will make you eat more grass. it will blow out under the front unless you're mowing very low.