PDA

View Full Version : cost of picking up the dog mess, curious question here!

grassman177
04-28-2010, 11:42 PM
You got it, was curious of who here offered pet waste removal on a weekly or bi weekly basis?
always curious the charge for such a service and so forth. say and everage lawn of 9000ftsq (or at least the back yard) .

thanks for any indulgence on your parts:drinkup:

rcslawncare
04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't have a set price, but I do make sure to look the property over for that and other obstructions and factor them into my bid!! Its a pain and makes the day "stink"

ncls
04-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Here in the suburbs of Cleveland, there are services that do that. They charge a fraction of what we charge to mow. If my mower is not spinning the blades, I'm not making as much money as I can. In other words, I'm not picking up Fido's crap. Either pick it up, pay to have it picked up, or find another landscaper.

topsites
04-29-2010, 02:26 AM
In my case the mower does it for me.

rustyj
04-29-2010, 02:29 AM

How's that work? I hate the fresh stinky **** when it gets in the tires
Posted via Mobile Device

Cloud9Landscapes
04-29-2010, 02:54 AM

:eek: ;)
That's gotta be nasty!
I simply charge per poop. About $2 and just pick it up w/ the shovel.

topsites
04-29-2010, 03:39 AM
How's that work?

It slings it, flings it, where it ends up nobody knows.
Come to think of it thou, might be a way to keep tailgaters off my trailer.

:eek: ;) That's gotta be nasty!

Ain't nothing a face or a mouth full of fresh cut grass won't cure, my mowers stay covered,
if it ain't grass its poop, most of it's just dirt, when I'm cutting grass it gets down right agricultural.

grassman177
04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
when I'm cutting grass it gets down right agricultural.

that is pretty funny man, i like that.

serously though, would $15 per visit be a good price to charge for the average back yard per week. i am n ot intersted in doing so, but i have a friend that was thinking of offering this service to make extra cash and get like 10 or 15 customers a week. does that sound about right for 30 min of work and all the investment needed is cheap bags and a really good pooper scooper.?

topsites
04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
that is pretty funny man, i like that.

serously though, would $15 per visit be a good price to charge for the average back yard per week. i am n ot intersted in doing so, but i have a friend that was thinking of offering this service to make extra cash and get like 10 or 15 customers a week. does that sound about right for 30 min of work and all the investment needed is cheap bags and a really good pooper scooper.?

Now we're talking, someone's thinking!
Whole business in that, there's worse jobs out there, $15 for 30 maybe even $20 for bi weeklies lol
there's a whole business in that, just have to have a nose for it.

Get an old car, something 4- cylinder, heck for the adventurous one could do this on a motorcycle,
not to scare anyone but the last thing to have is a gas guzzler.

Probably less competition and little or no lowballing too :p
Don't lay no bets on that just yet.

Peace out

clydebusa
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Here in Tulsa a LC company started offering it for an additional $5 a yard. I have lost 2 customers because of it. They cut my charge of $35 to $25 and then added $5 for poop pickup. Lost the 2 customers in the same area. I was picking up the big stuff at no cost, but 1 of the customers has 3 dogs. The LC did a magnetic flyer on the mail boxes. The yards are 5k with some edging.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM

same i just cut over the '****'

MikeKle
04-29-2010, 10:26 AM
There was an article in turf magazine about a guy who is doing this, he doesnt charge alot, cant remember the exact figure, but its so much per week, and he comes out twice a week, he made enough to support himself and his family. He drove an S-10.

I just let the mowers tires pick it up, and its gone within 2 yards anyway. Although it is kinda gross to go over it on a low riding velke!!

Marcos
04-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Come to think of it thou, might be a way to keep tailgaters off my trailer.

Ain't nothing a face or a mouth full of fresh cut grass won't cure, my mowers stay covered,
if it ain't grass its poop, most of it's just dirt, when I'm cutting grass it gets down right agricultural.

Good for you, topsites!

If your clients are feeding their dogs higher quality dog food like Science Diet or Iams products, the dog poop you run over & mangle in your mower tires shouldn't stink a whole lot, anyway.

It's usually the el-cheapo brands and nasty gum-rotting canned stuff that rots Fido's guts so bad you'd have to put him outside during TV hour because of his flatulence.
And those same smells reciprocate later, when he poops in the yard. :cry:

MikeKle
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
NEVER hit the stuff with a trimmer!!!!

grassman177
04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
i agree and only feed my dogs iams and science diet foods, there is a bug difference.

that is a whole other topic,, but about picking it up, i would think the price is good and you can leave the poop there of course so no hauling, but it is a really shizzy job, hahah

other thoughts from anyone actually doing this

lawnsnorth
04-30-2010, 12:45 AM
There is another side to simply running over it. Disease can be spread very easy to another dog and yard by the contaminated poo. We have added a extra $10 per yard if it is not cleaned up. After one charge we usually don't have a problem again. If its real bad we simply won't cut it. A couple of missed cuts and extra charges and we don't have to worry about it again. I have to agree with the other person that said if their mowers aren't running their not making money. We actually tried to set up a dog poo service and quickly found out someone else was doing it a price that we would be loosing money at.

grassman177
04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
if i chose to go your route i would no longer have customers!

FastMan
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM

Yep,,, that's when things get ugly.

M.A.Landscaping
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM

that happened to me the other day, i got **** all over me and my face lol, it was so gross i quit for the day and went home to take a shower. and i never pick up dog **** for customers and i never will, i get paid to cut grass not pick up ****, charging to pick up **** kind of seems like a waste of time if you ask me

mowisme
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
agree MA..call it what you will- I am there to mow..not babysit the Dog. If it means loosing the account- so be it. At least I smell like a geen forest at end of day..not a turd. Hate the stuff!..spent many years cleaning up behind cows and pig pens..no way am I doing it just because customer is Lazy. Taking on a Dog requires certain responsibilitys..cost/care/love/and the dirty duty. Geno

lawnsnorth
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
if i chose to go your route i would no longer have customers!

The point of the extra charge is to deter clients from not cleaning up after their pets. If we happen to see one or two missed its not a big deal it means that they have cleaned up and have missed a couple and they are not charged it is for the ones that make no effort at all. The goal is to have clients that you actually want to do work for and are a pleasure to deal with.

soloscaperman
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I just mow around it and the customer gets the idea. I may charge an extra fee then buy a golf club and hit those turds in the woods.

Grasskeepers
04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
i have my own dog and don't enjoy picking up his sheet so i really don't like picking up other dog's poo, but if a client ask i quote them 50% of the mowing price to pick up poo (thats weekly too!)

grassman177
04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
The point of the extra charge is to deter clients from not cleaning up after their pets. If we happen to see one or two missed its not a big deal it means that they have cleaned up and have missed a couple and they are not charged it is for the ones that make no effort at all. The goal is to have clients that you actually want to do work for and are a pleasure to deal with.

gotcha. good thinking. we have a few that are bad and we had had luck with just asking them to be better about it. but i will keep your methodology in mind for the future

tallrick
04-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Funny thing is that I knew someone who combined a string trimmer with an Oster blender head to grind dog poop into mulch. I have even seen something similar sold as a "pet waste away". Unfortunately the blender invention was so stinky it would make anyone sick.

grassman177
04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
that sounds utterly diusgusting , but oddly interesting. i mean, how well would that work on the human sized juicy turds that large breeds dump like my 80lb blood/red hound

tallrick
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Looks like it still exists. Not sure if this ever sold commercially though. http://www.petwasteaway.com/

mexiking
05-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Screw picking up poop...

MrRob
05-01-2010, 01:22 PM
we charge an extra $5-$10 a week & everyone with a dog jumps at it. I think every account with a fenced in back yard & dog pays extra for us to pick it up.

we always make the new guys pick up the poop!

Cut It Close
05-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Have hit a pile of dog dump with a trimmer and it ain't fun...trust me.

As far as mowing dog poo yards. The customer knows when I cut so there expected to have the yard cleaned on mow day. If not I knock on the door if no ones home and it's bad I skip the back. The Next week when the grass is really long I charge extra for double/triple cut. Customer don't like it? 2 options pick up the dog poo on mow day or find another landscaper. I only have 3 accounts with dogs. 1 account is fanatical about picking it up so no worries. The other 2 are a problem and I'm always asking them to pick it up. These accounts have been with me for a number of years so I'd hate to fire them but I have done it in the past only once. These people would never pick it up after I would tell them I'm here like clock work same day and time every week what is the problem? I get the book of excuses so I just said I cannot cut your lawn anymore I will send a final bill. That was that. Never looked back. I hate dog poo and avoid it at all costs.

regl
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Pro-Slide spreads them out pretty good. The comment about the golf club brought back memory's. My father told about when he was young and farmers would hire kids to go out in the pastures with sticks and knock the cow plops apart. they called them turd knockers.

grassman177
05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
the pro slides we used to use would create dog pile smears, really nasty smears

topsites
05-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah I can't hang with the trimmer whacked poo either, got me there, I quit lol.

GLlawncare
05-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Dogs poop less with higher quality food. Tell your customers to pay more for better food so the dogs poops less and thats less poop to pick up.

grassman177
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
very true, i know from my own. nothing worse than the customer who has two or three hunting dogs they feed nothing but canned cheap food!!! huge ripe piles that you can smell and see from the front yard!

swandrie
05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
LOL this is funny!!! I smash it with my wheels!!
I aim for it!!! this way they know they better pick it up next time before i come or the fly's will drive them nuts, ever try and pick it up after it is smashed by a walk wheel?

grassman177
05-02-2010, 06:05 PM
yes, in my own lawn as i dont pick up b4 i mow always and it is hard to do! i dont really care if someone does not pick it up unless it is intense i may ask them to.

Big Wes
05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
I have a customer that has a couple dogs they don't clean up very often and I'm not about to clean it for them. :nono: They pay well is why I still mow them that being said, I don't take on clients with dogs anymore, and the way I handle it is, the mower slings it around and sometimes some gets in their swimming pool, after I'm done mowing their lawn the dog crap gets washed off my tires right at the door they use to enter their house, and left there for them to step in and track it in their house. Most likely the dogs crap and pee in their house anyway. Oh well, I've spoke to them about cleaning up prior to our arrival, but it falls on deaf ears.:rolleyes:

dgw
05-30-2010, 07:01 PM

ha ha''

new worker this year second day, he completely covered his shirt and face in crap, with trimmer

i let him cut the rest of the day