PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate to move stuff before you mow?

David Haggerty
07-03-2002, 08:32 PM
Probably not as bad as this guy. He lives with his folks in a neighborhood where I mow. His equipment always just sits there. I don't even think he mows his parents' yard! He mows one of his neighbors' lawn and I saw his truck and trailer in town once. So I'm guessing two lawns?

rodney
07-03-2002, 08:53 PM
it looks cut to me under the trailer . or is it? but i do hate to move tramplenes and picnic tables.
it looks like he wants some one to steal it from him.

columbiaplower
07-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Heres a funny story kinda related to that. First cut on a lawn with kids. Walked the lawn cleand a half dozen toys up the went back to get the mowers. I mowt the front with the lazer and employee goes around back with thge 36. I finish and am sitting in the truck waiting for my 3 guys to come back and the string trimmers come back, the edging is done and they are starting to blow when finally the my guy returns from the back. He tells me that the kids threw all the stuff we picked up back on the lawn plus a bunch more. Then the kids sat o the swing set and coverd there ears and eyess. He tolkd them to go inside please and they said why?He explaind how dangerous it could be and finally they left. The next we we come and there are ebags of fruit cores/peels? all over the lawn, were talking like 40- bags!!!! Its the most rediculous thing ive ever seen.

-Nick

Lanelle
07-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Time for the adults to talk. No more trying to work it out with the kids. If the parents won't put a stop to it, its obvious who is in charge---and it isn't the one paying your bill.

Turf Ranger
07-04-2002, 03:27 PM
i mow a neighbors lawn. she has 2 kids, i think they are like 6 and 8. they are nice people so i dont complain, but everytime i go in the back to mow, it takes me about 30 mins just to pick up the toys. i would also like to post a pic of the back yard... i has an unlandscaped hillside that is full of trenches and high weeds. That is also a pain when she askes for it to be trimmed.

Scag48
07-04-2002, 05:25 PM
I HATE HOSES! I'm very annoyed with hoses being on the lawn! They know we're coming, why don't they move it! I show up at the same time every week, within a half an hour, to mow their lawns. I've done my part of the job, now they need to get out there and clean up their ****! Speaking of ****....Well, I won't get into that ;) :D

Samurai WeedWacker
07-04-2002, 06:43 PM
Does anyone not move hoses before mowing over them? I'm starting to think there's no way a garden hose laying flat on the ground could get sucked into the blades. Of course the end of a hose could lift up into the blades if it was run over, but the midsection of a hose could not.

I charge extra for having to move more than a few things off of a lawn prior to mowing.

Mowingman
07-04-2002, 06:51 PM
I mow at 3" most of the time and mow right over garden hoses with no problems for the most part. Once in a while one will raise up somehow and get chopped up. Too bad though, property owners know what day I will be there and are to have every thing picked up off the lawn.
I do offer a service to my customers to pick stuff up before mowing. My charge is $1.00/min. Very few have opted for this service.:D

Chuck Sinclair
07-04-2002, 07:33 PM
We do NOT pick up any thing PIROD, we go around it!!!

yardboyltd
07-04-2002, 09:19 PM
I have problems with pets... An apartment complex i mow for has a tenant who chains there dog to the side. I feel sorry for it, it doesn't like the sound of the mower and pracitaclly strangles itself trying to get away around the corner, and I'm forced to leave a large patch unmowed...

Also i chopped a extension cord up two weeks ago. It went to a pool pump on one of those smaller inflatable pools. I couldn't see it buried in the grass, but it sure gave me a scare... it was live. After this and telling the owner they need to unplug the cord (goes inside house), and helping me cleanup things, I start inside a chainlinked portion of there yard while they proceed to let there dogs out into it... DUH

awm
07-05-2002, 01:59 PM
mow my daughters place. move the whole play set with the lazer . course this is my grandkids toys.:)

wattsup
07-05-2002, 06:04 PM
I mow my dad's secretaries lawn. The first time I mowed was on a Sunday, and when I got there she had all six kids pick up the lawn before I mowed. I thought great, I will not have to pick up toys every time. I was wrong, the nest time I mowed I picked up 12 baseballs, 3 mitts, 2 skateboards, and 22 socks. After all that I still hit 2 baseballs and numerous other toys I did not see. To make things worse there was a 6 year old that would not go inside. I asked him several times to go inside. Fianally, I stopped to talk to him and ask why he would not go inside. He said, he wanted to ride with me. I picked him up and carried him inside and he stood at the door and cried until I left.

Cooper Landscaping
07-05-2002, 06:50 PM
I have one customer that i mow the same day every week. Without fail, every week their is a 10' chain the usefor thei dog laying accros he lawn. Of course after 2 years of doing their lawn, i wuz bound to hit it, and i did. And once it caught the end, it sucked the whole ting in God did that ever scare me- it took me 20 minutes to unwind the chain from my blades and had 2 switch 2 my spare set becuase it killed my blades :( needless 2 say i always remember now :) lol
-Coop

brucec32
07-06-2002, 12:53 AM
How can you make it pay to have 4 guys working on what I assume is a typical residential lawn? Don't they wind up wasting time and getting in each others' way? Is this a one-off and you usually do commerical or big properties, or do you just have it orchestrated well?

Seems like the drive time alone would kill your numbers. (4x the waste of a one-man crew)

Got Grass?
07-06-2002, 03:20 AM
Personally I love picking up hoses & I love seeing them laying on the lawn even more. It meens the customer actually waters it.

Premo Services
07-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Got Grass? Personally I love picking up hoses & I love seeing them laying on the lawn even more. It meens the customer actually waters it.

I agree, don't bother me at all to take a few minutes to move a hose or two. At least they are watering it.
Now when you start talikng about golf balls, clubs, bats, baseballs, thats another thing!!:eek:

RMDoyon
07-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Ditto to Got Grass and Premo:

I have a customer with 28,000 sf that she waters with hoses and sprinklers every week.
I have no problem reeling the stuff in and mowing when all of the drought-stressed lawns around her are shrivelling.

Roger

columbiaplower
07-06-2002, 11:29 AM
we cut 6 lawns across a 1 mile strech and 3 are next to each other aND TWO ARE ACROSS THE STREET. THIS HOUSE IS DOWN THE STREET (sorry bout the caps). Your right 4 is one too many, but we had two cutting, one trimming and one edging and blowing. so it works ok. usally we all mow then 3 trim, one egde.
-Nick

cos
07-06-2002, 12:36 PM
I used to hate picking up a hose week in and week out. That's just pure laziness.

griffin16
07-06-2002, 01:52 PM
I hate to move things to.. But I also have kids, that leave stuff in my own yard all the time. It doesn't matter how much I tell them to pick up after themselves. kids will be kids. All they know is the a**hole with the mower killed their toy duck..
I was mowing a customers lawn, and was turning on the driveway and came a little to close to the newspaper and...Wooosshh. good bye newspaper.

2 Black Thumbs
07-06-2002, 08:54 PM
Wattsup, your story reminds me of my last job. The owner wanted me to give his young son a ride on the forklift that I was driving. I refused, listing safty issues( the kid falls off the forklift) so I didn't. Luckily my shift was over and I left. Found out the next day the owner gave his kid a ride on the lifttruck and luckily nothing bad happened, but I still won't change my mind when it comes to kids and machinery. To them it's a ride, to me it's a disaster waiting to happen. TBT

KNOWHOWELTD
07-06-2002, 10:04 PM
today i hit a fork... if only i had a picture of that fork, well what used to be a fork... but i brought it home and put in on my shelf... the fork is notched pretty bad, but the blade isnt knicked at all.

speaking of newspapers, they are easy to destroy when working with a crew of 36 - 48 in. walk behind snow blowers in the winter wonderland.

hoses, socks, tenis balls, plastic toys, pinking shears

why would people have forks laying around in their yard... some sort of canibalism?

MOW ED
07-07-2002, 09:47 AM
"why would people have forks laying around in their yard"

I've seen this, the squrrils are forkin nuts!!:dizzy:

:p

kroll
07-07-2002, 10:51 AM
toy's are one thing as long as it's not all the time. A couple weeks a go I went to a better neighborhood mowed the front went in back to pool
found clothing pants with a wallet still in it
adult underware. ( I mean really Adult)
wine bottles beer bottles rolling papers.
food and a camera. enough clothing to suggest
3 couples,The lady of the house was on the deck
she saw me covered her face said oh S@#*.
I smiled said I'll be back @ 4:00 and left
when I came back the place was spottless
but no people. the husban is a bank exec.
she is a school teacher go figure.
I'm just wish I was invited.

the point man
07-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Someone in a previous post brought up a good point that I
had not heretofore thought of ... the liability created by moving
a trampoline. It could possibly come apart during the move
without the mover being aware. Or, even worse, the LCO
might be blamed even if it was moved again by someone else.
I have only one trampoline to deal with. I don't move it and,
fortunately, the customer seems fine with that.

Tvov
07-07-2002, 03:40 PM
We've only got a couple of lawns that have toys, and they are not really that bad. What I find annoying is the lawn/patio furniture. We have a couple customers that have big wooden picnic tables in their yards that are a pain in the butt to move.

Years ago I worked for a wealthy customer who got so pissed at his kids for not picking up toys, bikes, and sports equipment that he told us to throw out anything that we had to pick up on the lawn. The next week, sure enough, the yard was covered with toys and stuff. We picked it all up, and put it into a garden shed at the rear of the lawn. The next week, the mom came out, and asked us if we had really thrown everything out, because the kids thought we had. When we showed her where it was, she was relieved. From then on, the yard was substantially better picked up.

JJOHN22042
07-07-2002, 11:23 PM
I walk the whole Lawn before Mowing hate to hit anything after Spending all this Money on Equipment.. Yes I do move the Kids Toys etc...

fastlane
07-07-2002, 11:58 PM
One place I do has a fenced in backyard about 1,000 sf. The first cut there were 2 plastic chairs a table and a plastic slide. I bearly slowed down to move them. Took 7 min. with 21'' mower. In 10 weeks they have added 6 chairs 1 table,little tykes playhouse,slide and sandbox.swingset and 12'inflatable pool with extention cord and hose. I move all but the swingset and pool.(This is the only customer I move things for)Takes me 1hr 20min. 2 1/2 acres total $125 aweek.

Got Grass?
07-08-2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by kroll
toy's are one thing as long as it's not all the time. A couple weeks a go I went to a better neighborhood mowed the front went in back to pool
found clothing pants with a wallet still in it
adult underware. ( I mean really Adult)

I'm just kinda wondering why you were looking inside the underware...

:dizzy:

SLS
07-08-2002, 11:23 AM
"I'm just kinda wondering why you were looking inside the underware..."

LMAO! :D

Bad punctuation can make for some really funny faux pas sometimes! :laugh:

But hey, treasure sometimes turns up in the most unxpected places.......

kroll
07-08-2002, 04:13 PM
That don't sound good. Oh well grammer school was a long time ago. Guess I should proof read.

brucec32
07-12-2002, 03:53 AM
Trampolines.....yep. They do come apart when you move em. If it fails when a kid's on it and your'e to blame...uh oh.

I've found that if you move stuff, you find more stuff in the future. I'll do it once or twice but if it's a regular thing I charge more the next season to cover it.