PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Southern Pride
04-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Does every single trailer I see have the weedeater racks mounted on the passenger side? I've yet to see one with them on the driver side like mine. I don't know about you all but I park across the street from the house I am cutting so I can blow everything. Also when doing mulch I park on the curb in front of the house and this way the racks are not in the way of me throwing mulch in the wheel barrels.

When I walk across to grab a weedeater I don't want to walk to the far side of the truck. I normally wouldn't care but it seems everyone has them on that side. Why? :cool2::walking::usflag:

BINKY1902
04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
My trimmer rack is on the driver side. Your not alone. I have trimmers and gas on the drivers side and blower and water cooler on the passenger.

STL Cuts
04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Does every single trailer I see have the weedeater racks mounted on the passenger side? I've yet to see one with them on the driver side like mine. I don't know about you all but I park across the street from the house I am cutting so I can blow everything. Also when doing mulch I park on the curb in front of the house and this way the racks are not in the way of me throwing mulch in the wheel barrels.

When I walk across to grab a weedeater I don't want to walk to the far side of the truck. I normally wouldn't care but it seems everyone has them on that side. Why? :cool2::walking::usflag:

I have my eXtreme racks on the driver side.

unkownfl
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
I have racks on three sides.

sharpcuts
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Mine are on the front.

robertsturf
04-29-2010, 12:18 AM
We put ours on the passenger side so the guys will not be in the close to the traffic that may drive by. I don't feel there is a wrong approach. If you use your head and are careful you could mount them on your bumper!

unkownfl
04-29-2010, 12:20 AM
A lot of people put them on the passenger side because when it rains you don't get muddy water all over them thats what I've been told at least.

dKoester
04-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Use grocery bags to cover the engines to keep them dry.

Dpatt07
04-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I put mine on a the passenger side because when I fuel up the truck I can fuel up the mowers at the same time without having to maneuver around the racks with the gas hose. My fuel tank on the truck is on the driver side so I can use two pumps at once. I sometimes park on the opposite side of the street facing the wrong direction and that will put the trimmers on the street side. But like someone said before, I don't like standing in the street to take equipment off the trailer. Its just not safe, especially with the teenagers in my area.

ashgrove landscaping
04-29-2010, 12:28 AM
I have one on each side. Blowes are in the bed. Makes the most sense for me.

FourTrees
04-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Passenger side because I park in front of clients house, plus trailer has side ramp that goes down on that side. Not sure why parking there would stop you from blowing.

Landscape Poet
04-29-2010, 12:58 AM

Safety is the number 1 reason you see most racks on passenger side if there is a single rack. If you are in urban area it is not always possible to park on the across the street from client house, you just take whatever you can get.

As far as being able to blow the debris from under the truck. Get a better blower I guess. I have no issues removing debris from under or around truck or trailer.

Southern Pride
04-29-2010, 01:07 AM
I put mine on a the passenger side because when I fuel up the truck I can fuel up the mowers at the same time without having to maneuver around the racks with the gas hose. My fuel tank on the truck is on the driver side so I can use two pumps at once. I sometimes park on the opposite side of the street facing the wrong direction and that will put the trimmers on the street side. But like someone said before, I don't like standing in the street to take equipment off the trailer. Its just not safe, especially with the teenagers in my area.

How do you get across the street? LOL jk

I have one on each side. Blowes are in the bed. Makes the most sense for me.

Yeah I understand that but I have to have my stuff locked unless im taking it off or on. Anyway, just wondering guys. I see there's no real reason but It's just weird seeing 100% passenger racks in my area.

Southern Pride
04-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Passenger side because I park in front of clients house, plus trailer has side ramp that goes down on that side. Not sure why parking there would stop you from blowing.

Maybe because my echo blower isn't as powerful as say a redmax? but one way or another grass always ends up under the truck or the trailer. I end up walking around it several times. It gets old. Plus I make sure my yards are spotless. Blowing is one of the biggest parts of the job for me.

FourTrees
04-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Maybe because my echo blower isn't as powerful as say a redmax? Plus I make sure my yards are spotless. Blowing is one of the biggest parts of the job for me.

But your sig says you have "say a redmax"..... so any way.

Safety is my main reason, I being one whom parks on clients side of the street.

rustyj
04-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Passenger is the way to go and safest way
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
04-29-2010, 01:34 AM
We don't do anything from the traffic side for safety reasons. Too many people sending instant messages. We consider the traffic side of the trailer/truck a kill zone.

rain man
04-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Two years ago my son stepped to the traffic side of the trailer to retrieve something. I stopped him and explained how dangerous it is. No lie-one minute later a car slams into our parked trailer exactly where he had been standing. Not tending to others business but its something to consider.

Hawg City Lawns
04-29-2010, 01:40 AM
i have mine on passenger side one reason is because they are on curb side which prevents you from having to walk around the truck to get to them and it keeps you away from traffic and another reason is if they fall off for some crazy reason while going down the road theyll fall close to or onto the shoulder so it wont cause a wreck

topsites
04-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Mine are on the front.

In my opinion that is the best place to keep yourself from having to step out into traffic.

Southern Pride
04-29-2010, 02:15 AM
Passenger is the way to go and safest way
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, right under Soon to Come:
lol. I just picked up my redmax weedeater and it is perfect. Very very light and capable.

i have mine on passenger side one reason is because they are on curb side which prevents you from having to walk around the truck to get to them and it keeps you away from traffic and another reason is if they fall off for some crazy reason while going down the road theyll fall close to or onto the shoulder so it wont cause a wreck

I understand that. I put mine on the driver's side for the same reason, except, I park across the street so I have the whole area to work with and not fool with walking on the inside/outside of the truck/trailer. Noone minds.

Someone earlier said so the weedeaters don't get mud on them? lol Don't know about that one.

I see alot of you guys just pull up on the curb you're working on...hm. I only do that for cleanup, mulch, etc. I guess it will remain some what of a mystery to me.

Southern Pride
04-29-2010, 02:27 AM
On the traffic thing. We don't work on any main roads. Traffic is very calm. I don't get tunnel vision and am pretty aware. Been practicing since I was 2 ;) The front racks are ok, but if a car hits the truck or trailer, you're screwed, and I'm not really willing to pull in front of the house unless I have to, but even then I'll go right past it. One way street for me I guess.

Richard Martin
04-29-2010, 05:19 AM
My reason for passenger side is safety. More often than not I'm parked on the side of a road with traffic on it. I like to minimize my exposure.

Merkava_4
04-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Don't you guys worry about your equipment getting stolen while you're in the back yard?

Richard Martin
04-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Don't you guys worry about your equipment getting stolen while you're in the back yard?

Not too much. In testing on my friends, neighbors and relatives I've found that none of them could get a trimmer out of the rack if their life depended on it. Since equipment racks are a rarity here it's a pretty safe bet. If I'm going to be away from my Dixie Chopper I take the extra key out of it. I installed another key switch that shuts off a specific part of the mower. It's an EFI mower and no, I'm not willing to share in the open forums which part of the mower it shuts off. The huge majority of mowers all use the same simple key. That is an issue for me. My seperate key switch uses a real key.

93Chevy
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't have mine mounted yet, but I'm going to mount them upfront so I can load and unload materials from either side if i have to with little hassle.

Sammy
04-29-2010, 01:39 PM
............ I sometimes park on the opposite side of the street facing the wrong direction ..........

I hate when lawn boys do that !

Yater
04-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Safety is the number 1 reason you see most racks on passenger side if there is a single rack. If you are in urban area it is not always possible to park on the across the street from client house, you just take whatever you can get.

As far as being able to blow the debris from under the truck. Get a better blower I guess. I have no issues removing debris from under or around truck or trailer.

Yep....mine go on the passenger side. I don't want to walk into traffic when I grab a trimmer or blower. It takes me about 3 seconds to walk around my trailer....and then I make up that 3 seconds when I put the trimmer back on the rack. Standing in the middle of the road is stupid.

Hawg City Lawns
04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I sometimes park on the opposite side of the street facing the wrong direction

dont be surprised when you find a ticket on your window

Turf Commando
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
It's simple when you mow the right side of road, trimmers are easier to access same if your on the left side...
Nobody around here has them on drivers side, so it must tell you something..

rain man
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I suppose its different in other places but where I work we would be cussed out daily for parking in front of other people's homes.

fiveoboy01
04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Mine are on the driver's side because I try to park across the street from the property as often as possible so I'm not blowing grass on my truck and trailer. Anyplace I park on the street it's mostly low-traffic residential stuff, and I watch before crossing:)

Robert Pruitt
04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
mine are on the passenger side. if i left anything in the bed it would not be there when i got back.

topsites
04-29-2010, 10:02 PM

LOL most of my stuff isn't brand new anymore :p
Some of it looks down right, how should I say, punk tech?
More than a few things have pieces missing, things that it evidently doesn't need to run.
This gives it a worn look, I like it that way.

Not saying it can't disappear, but as a rule it doesn't.

STIHL GUY
04-29-2010, 10:30 PM
We put ours on the passenger side so the guys will not be in the close to the traffic that may drive by. I don't feel there is a wrong approach.

yeah i have mine on the passenger side so i dont have to be in traffic to grab the trimmer. I do mulch out of the back of my truck and not the trailer so i dont worry about the racks for that

Southern Pride
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
You guys with the passenger side who park in front of the home for safety reasons don't make much sense to me either, because when you are blowing you HAVE to walk around the truck and trailer. Otherwise grass will end up in the street, which is a nono for me at least. It's dangerous to cross a street when you are 5. Not for a grown ass man, in a residential sub division. WHAT IS dangerous is walking around the truck to blow, because then you cannot hear any traffic. When I cross the street there is no noise. I grab my equipment *look both ways* and then blow without walking around cars and trailers. I shouldn't have asked because you can pick apart the whole thing 1000 times. I guess at the end of the day, parking across is what works best for me. I've thought it over a million times and that's the best choice for me. Parking in front of someones house wouldn't work out near as well. The neighbors could care less if I park on their curb for 30 minutes. They either wave, give me props on the excellent work or want the service.

clean_cut
04-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I have racks on three sides.

Interesting, so on the right, the left, and the other left :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you're either kidding or talking about the front of the trailer. :)

driver5
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I have an extreme rack welded to the driver side of my bed. Im running an f 450 with a landscape bed by Womack. The passengers side folds down. so it wasnt very functional to have my rack welded to the side that folded down. That is why I run my trimmers on the driver side.

If you use common sence, and slow down just a little , and pay attention, you shouldnt get run over by having equipment on the drivers side.

Southern Pride
04-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah I'm not one of these unconcious mofo's just walking around breathing. It's not complicated.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-30-2010, 02:36 AM
I have mine on my passenger side because my passenger is the one using that rack most of the time.

Also I park legally, and when you do that the passenger side is next to the sidewalk so nobody gets hurt playing in traffic.

Yater
04-30-2010, 03:02 AM
Not saying it can't disappear, but as a rule it doesn't.

My trimmers and blowers grow legs if I don't lock them down. I lose one every couple of years. PISSES me off more than anything else. Last year, some idiot stole my handheld blower and left my ebz8001 sitting in the bed of the truck. Moron.

I have a blower rack now...with a lock.