PDA

View Full Version : EPA in our business!!

GlynnC
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Last night I was reading an ad for a chainsaw on sale due to model discontinuation because it doesn't meet EPA standards for the future. I got to thinking about all the many threads about how the EPA is ruining 2-stroke equipment with standards and we all think it may just be a matter of time before they are gone, and how some of us (me) are "hoarding" our old style equipment for the future. This morning, as I'm going thru my fuel mix routine, I get to thinking that if sales of new 2-strokes are eliminated, how long will it be before 2-stroke oil is eliminated? Okay, how long is the shelf life of unopened 2-stroke oil--maybe I'll "hoard" some of that too.

Yea, I know you Stihl guys are smiling about now--but us 2-strokers are going to go down hard.

Richard Martin
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Okay, how long is the shelf life of unopened 2-stroke oil--maybe I'll "hoard" some of that too.

The US military generally will hold onto oils (engine, gear etc) about 5 or so years. I don't remember the exact amount of time. It really became an issue for them when they started prepositioning the weapons of war around the world about 20 years ago. They find it easier to beat up defenseless countries if they don't have to ship the equipment half way around the world first.

ajeaajea
04-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Even if the 2 strokes get banned, they will still make the oil. There will always be oil. There is no reason you need to hoard oil.