PDA

View Full Version : Cheap skates!!!

rjh4758
04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Well got my first cheap skate of the year trying to take me for a fool.

Little history:
New customer I picked up at the start of the month . I quoted $30 for a weekly cut she had wanted me to do it bi-weekly after I quoted her the price. I explained that if I were to do it bi-weekly it would be $45 due to extra time and wear and tear of equipment. She agreed that weekly would be fine. This is fairly easy yard few obstacles and little trimming, 25-30 minute job if maintained.

Well today I gave her first invoice and she meets me after mowing to give me the check and tells me she wants me to come every other week that she has someone that is gonna mow it every other week for nothing and I will just mow the weeks they are not. Well I am damn sure no one else is going to be mowing it on the off weeks for free. I drive past this place often so I will see if it is mowed or not.

I think I will go back in 2 weeks and if it had not been mowed then I will ask her if she wants me to mow it for $45 if not she can find some else. I may just tell her to find someone else anyway it is just the idea that she is trying to pull this on me.

Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Tell her to just go ahead have them mow it the other 2 weeks at double their price!

Don't bother with this type of loser. They never last long anyway. Is she crippled or blind? Then why isn't she doing it if she's so broke?

Yater
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I think I will go back in 2 weeks and if it had not been mowed then I will ask her if she wants me to mow it for $45 if not she can find some else. I may just tell her to find someone else anyway it is just the idea that she is trying to pull this on me.

Posted via Mobile Device

As long as it's mowed/trimmed, I'd keep her. Some folks around here have the church mow their lawns, free of charge. If it's not mowed, and she won't pay your price for bi-weekly, dump her.

edit: 666....don't listen to me

rjh4758
04-29-2010, 05:35 PM
As long as it's mowed/trimmed, I'd keep her. Some folks around here have the church mow their lawns, free of charge. If it's not mowed, and she won't pay your price for bi-weekly, dump her.

edit: 666....don't listen to me

Thats kind of what I'm thinking at this point but I have a feeling there is no one else. She wanted it bi-weekly for the weekly price from the start, so why keep me at all if someone is going to do it free bi-weekly?

LawnGuy35
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Thats kind of what I'm thinking at this point but I have a feeling there is no one else. She wanted it bi-weekly for the weekly price from the start, so why keep me at all if someone is going to do it free bi-weekly?

You're lucky! I have a customer who wants her lawn mowed weekly, but only wants me to mow it ONCE a month. She's around 60 and said she likes to get out and mow for the exercise 1-2 times a month (which I understand and respect) and that her nephew comes into town once a month and covers that week's mow.

I had a feeling it wouldn't get mowed that often like she said, so I went ahead and bid $45 per mow. It's only 6,000 square feet. Sure enough, this week I showed up and it hadn't been mowed in at least 2 weeks. Glad I went a little higher.

KrayzKajun
04-29-2010, 06:02 PM
i would drop her! too much of a headache

ed2hess
04-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't know why you guys get all up tight about bi-weekly we make very good money on those just like the weekly. With all the big equipment most people have you can knock down a yard in little extra time, Nobody in our area is going to pay more for bi-weekly.

rjh4758
04-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't know why you guys get all up tight about bi-weekly we make very good money on those just like the weekly. With all the big equipment most people have you can knock down a yard in little extra time, Nobody in our area is going to pay more for bi-weekly.

True but if it takes more than a few minutes longer to make it look really good, then I need to be compensated for it . I won't leave a lawn till it looks the best it can. So if that requires double cut or raking up clippings from trimming because the grass is 6" higher than what it should be, it gets done, but not for free. That's why bi-weekly is higher

nepatsfan
04-29-2010, 06:37 PM

We want lawns that look good. It is about image and scheduling. Bi weekly lawns do not look good. They never do. Either they are a terrible looking lawn and we don't want them or it is a lawn that needs to be cut weekly and they are too cheap to pay and we dont want them either. If the lawn looks terrible we want to bring it up to snuff and mow it weekly or we don't want the lawn. I dont have the patience for cheap people. 99 out of 100 biweekly mows never have you do anything else either. We stopped accepting biweekly cuts 7 years ago and I am so glad we did. We sell the entire package. Mulch, dethatch, weekly mow, seasonal color(annuals), spring/fall cleanups, trimming and pruning, aerate and overseed in the fall. Most of our customers use all of these services. I wont even do an estimate on a biweekly. They are also the worst payers. I have no use for biweekly mowing.

ed2hess
04-29-2010, 08:07 PM
We want lawns that look good. It is about image and scheduling. Bi weekly lawns do not look good. They never do. Either they are a terrible looking lawn and we don't want them or it is a lawn that needs to be cut weekly and they are too cheap to pay and we dont want them either. If the lawn looks terrible we want to bring it up to snuff and mow it weekly or we don't want the lawn. I dont have the patience for cheap people. 99 out of 100 biweekly mows never have you do anything else either. We stopped accepting biweekly cuts 7 years ago and I am so glad we did. We sell the entire package. Mulch, dethatch, weekly mow, seasonal color(annuals), spring/fall cleanups, trimming and pruning, aerate and overseed in the fall. Most of our customers use all of these services. I wont even do an estimate on a biweekly. They are also the worst payers. I have no use for biweekly mowing.

Things aren't that easy down south some people don't care much about the lawns so you aren't going to get much follow on anyway. And actually the lawns that are bi-weekly look exactly the same as the weekly. Our mulching movers will cut them down and chop the stuff up to the extent it looks like it has been bagged. On small yards with crews it actually doesn't take any more time. The mow guy is usually done before the trimmers and blowing is done. Residential is a painful business to grow very large because of the numbers of customers.. To grow a company in our area you got to get into commericial that do support the extra stuff.

But today we hit over 20 bi-weekly lawns and about 15 weekly in one area. If we didn't have those bi-weekly that would have meant moving to another area and probably lost revenue. And the good news solo guys don't do bi-weekly here either. And due to the fact we are in a neighborhood so long people starting asking us for bids and a lot of times the solo guy loses his job because we beat him on price.

Yater
04-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Things aren't that easy down south some people don't care much about the lawns so you aren't going to get much follow on anyway.

Yep. About 1/2 of the calls I get are requesting bi-weekly. From June-October, everything around here is burned to a crisp....unless shaded and irrigated.

topsites
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I've heard a lot of BS over the years but I don't think I've ever heard that one :laugh:

Which isn't to say I haven't had them feed me my share...

But here is my thing, with very few exceptions, if a customer wants me to
take care of their lawn, they need to turn control of that lawn over to me,
otherwise it usually doesn't work out.

nepatsfan
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Things aren't that easy down south some people don't care much about the lawns so you aren't going to get much follow on anyway. And actually the lawns that are bi-weekly look exactly the same as the weekly. Our mulching movers will cut them down and chop the stuff up to the extent it looks like it has been bagged. On small yards with crews it actually doesn't take any more time. The mow guy is usually done before the trimmers and blowing is done. Residential is a painful business to grow very large because of the numbers of customers.. To grow a company in our area you got to get into commericial that do support the extra stuff.

But today we hit over 20 bi-weekly lawns and about 15 weekly in one area. If we didn't have those bi-weekly that would have meant moving to another area and probably lost revenue. And the good news solo guys don't do bi-weekly here either. And due to the fact we are in a neighborhood so long people starting asking us for bids and a lot of times the solo guy loses his job because we beat him on price.

Everybody does what they have to do to survive. You made the comment that you wondered why people dont do bi weekly, that is the reason for us. if you find biweekly cuts profitable then you should take them on. If I was the op I would just drop the account.

sharpcuts
04-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I do several bi-weekly lawns, but they're not my favorites by any means. I know that in some areas & grass types it works fine, but for where I work & with the grass varieties here it just doesn't work that great for most of the season. I too want lawns that look great! I have thought many times about what the neighbors think. Do they think: "Boy, my neighbor sure is a tightwad. Only gets his lawn mowed every other week. Bet that lawn guy could make it look nice if he would let him cut it more often." ? NOPE, I bet this is more how they look at it: " Man, that lawn guy sure doesn't keep their lawn looking very good. I sure won't hire them to do mine if I need a new guy. I'll check the phone book first." To me every neighbor is a potential customer. I want my lawns looking good as possible!

DuraCutter
04-29-2010, 11:29 PM

The last line "beat him on price" Are you serious? How low can a guy go? from $30 to $20? I'm lost here, why is there so much "I can go lower and steal it off the next guy". No wonder cutting grass is not worth it anymore when even established guys buy into to that mentality. I'm not dissing you, just trying to understand the mentality. God bless you.

:dizzy:

FuturePilot4u
04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Tell her to just go ahead have them mow it the other 2 weeks at double their price!

Don't bother with this type of loser. They never last long anyway. Is she crippled or blind? Then why isn't she doing it if she's so broke?
I burst out in laughter when i read that, at midnight waking people up, but it was well worth the laugh, THANK YOU

Shane100
04-30-2010, 03:55 AM
True but if it takes more than a few minutes longer to make it look really good, then I need to be compensated for it . I won't leave a lawn till it looks the best it can. So if that requires double cut or raking up clippings from trimming because the grass is 6" higher than what it should be, it gets done, but not for free. That's why bi-weekly is higher

I agree. Time is money and I hate wasting my time on biweekly accounts that don't really care how it looks. I used to look at it the same way you do. I wouldn't leave a yard until it was up to my standards. Now when I give the original bid/estimate I take the time to figure out what it is thatís important to the customer. Price vs. Quality. I always ask what it is they are wanting and how often they want it done before I even make the trip to look over the property. If they want the best of both worlds I will just shoot the bid high and let them go elsewhere. If price is all that matters I let them know I can do it for X amount but I will not bag, mulch, or basically do anything with the clippings. They stay where they fall. I have found these to be equally as profitable as my weekly accounts. Truth is they are usually happy with the results. They wouldn't even appreciate or notice the extra effort put forth to make their yard perfect. Remember time is money and I don't like to waste either. Mow, blow and go!

That being said, I still prefer my high end 2+ acre accounts that look like a freaking post card. I have also learned to stress quality in my advertising and never mention price. I always get much more satisfaction looking at those accounts when they are done, hell sometimes I'll even make sure to drive back by them on my way out of the neighborhood. But I can't fill my schedule with them alone. Yet! Until then, I'll keep taking the biweeklies and make sure the $/hr makes sense.