PDA

View Full Version : new honda 13hp wiring starter circuit help

kmacd
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I just replaced my broken 12.5 kaw with a new honda 13ho on my proline Toro walk behind. The wiring diagram is not too much help (see diagram in manual attached). I am going to mount a battery and hook up the electric start. My question is do I need an alternator to keep the battery charged? The engine has a rectifier on it with a wire comming off it labeled "load".

What kind of key switch do I need? I see several different kinds some with 3,4 or 5 terminals. I would think I only need a 2 terminal switch. One terminal to ground out the mower to stop it, another terminal from the starter solenoid to start it.

Does the wire from the rectifier go to the battery to keep it charged or does it go to the switch?

Any help would be appreciated, and a wiring diagram would be great.
Thanks

kmacd
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
OK I think I might have it figured out please let me know if I am correct.

To hook up electric start I need a 4 post key switch with terminals B, S, M G.
B= wire from switch to pos side of batt.
S= off the ground side of the starter solenoid is a 16 ga wire that is labeled (to starter switch), I hook this to the S terminal on the switch.
M=grounds out the magneto (I know this wire)
G= ground wire for engine/deck.

Off the rectifier I have a wire labeled "load", i assume I hook this to the pos side of the battery, and i assume this charges the batt at 3 amps to keep the battery charged?

I was going to use 16ga wires, except the 2 main wires off the battery I was going to use 10 ga.

Is this correct?

All help is appreciated.

Restrorob
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Sounds like you have it covered, But....I use 14ga wire and 8ga battery cables.