PDA

View Full Version : Toro heavy duty 21" commercial

timberbrook
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey Michigan LCO's. I have been talking with a dealer about purchasing a Toro 22166. It is a zone start hand push model with a Honda GXV160 engine. It only weighs 88 lbs. He has several, and if I purchase a few he will sell them for $700 OTD. These are like $1200 mowers, new still in the box. They even come with the commercial bag. Do any of you want to go in on a group buy with me to get the good price?

lawnboy dan
04-30-2010, 08:16 AM
are you nuts? good luck pushing one for any length of time

bohiaa
04-30-2010, 08:45 AM
So SICK of sales men...............

FastMan
04-30-2010, 08:51 AM
are you nuts? good luck pushing one for any length of time

I guess I was nuts back in my youth. Up until I was in my late 40's all I used was push 21 inchers. My thinking was less cost, less to go wrong, I'm strong like bull, keeps me strong like bull. Now this year (at 54) I'm buying my first self propelled 21. My current thinking? Time has come to start pacing yourself, Rick.

lawnboy dan
04-30-2010, 08:35 PM
well said fast man! try pushing one in 95+ heat ! i used to push till i moved to the deep south.

yardguy28
04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey Michigan LCO's. I have been talking with a dealer about purchasing a Toro 22166. It is a zone start hand push model with a Honda GXV160 engine. It only weighs 88 lbs. He has several, and if I purchase a few he will sell them for $700 OTD. These are like $1200 mowers, new still in the box. They even come with the commercial bag. Do any of you want to go in on a group buy with me to get the good price?

sorry i just purchased one not even a month ago. i got it with the kaw engine and it was only $499. same exact mower you have pictured. my dealer is offering them with either the kaw or honda engine for the same price.

siclmn
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
At my accountants this morning and saw a lawn service doing the yard. He was pushing a $600 honda mower in a very big yard and was working too hard to do it. I wanted to tell him to quit working for the service. I felt so sorry for him. I let my machines do the work not my body.

yardguy28
05-02-2010, 09:03 AM
normally i prefer self propelled mowers too. but when we are talking 21 incher i use them so little it's not that big of a deal. i have a total of 2 lawns that i mow completely with a 21 incher, another i just mow the front yard with, another i just mow the easement with, another i mow the backyard with and another i just mow a little section i can't get to with a walkbehind or my grandstand. they are all flat surfaces too except one has a small hill.

BrunoT
05-02-2010, 09:37 AM
If you need a commercial duty mower then you are probably doing enough work with the 21" that you need self-propulsion.

Don't be one of those who knows the price of everything but understands the value of nothing. I wouldn't use a push mower if it were free.

This mower, say it lasts 5 years before you replace it(though it will likely last much longer if just used from time to time). You're telling us to save $400 (you can get a toro zone start sp hd commercial for $1100 if you shop around at all) over 5 years ($80/year) you will be willing to struggle and strain over bumps, push it up steep hills, and risk injury (more likely pushing rather than following and steering a mower on slopes) and deal with excess fatigue that may easily keep you from doing another $35 lawn EVERY DAY?

$80 a year is a ROUNDING ERROR.

Be it employees or yourself, manpower is your most expensive input, NOT the equipment. If you wear out these flesh and blood machines trying to save $80/year, you would be making a mistake.

The dealer is trying to dump them because nobody wanted them.

yardguy28
05-02-2010, 07:27 PM
If you need a commercial duty mower then you are probably doing enough work with the 21" that you need self-propulsion.

Don't be one of those who knows the price of everything but understands the value of nothing. I wouldn't use a push mower if it were free.

This mower, say it lasts 5 years before you replace it(though it will likely last much longer if just used from time to time). You're telling us to save $400 (you can get a toro zone start sp hd commercial for $1100 if you shop around at all) over 5 years ($80/year) you will be willing to struggle and strain over bumps, push it up steep hills, and risk injury (more likely pushing rather than following and steering a mower on slopes) and deal with excess fatigue that may easily keep you from doing another $35 lawn EVERY DAY?

$80 a year is a ROUNDING ERROR.

Be it employees or yourself, manpower is your most expensive input, NOT the equipment. If you wear out these flesh and blood machines trying to save $80/year, you would be making a mistake.

The dealer is trying to dump them because nobody wanted them.

lets see he said the price his dealer was offering was $700 and i got mine for $500 vs. $1100 just for self propelling??? i don't think so!!!!

for me 21 inchers aren't used hardly at all. i have less than half a done accounts i use one on and even then it's just in a section. i have a total of 2 yards i cut completely with a 21 incher.

the reason i purchased this unit is because i have been using a 1985 toro mower. it starts on the first pull and gives an excellent cut but being that old it won't last forever. in 2008 i purchased a brand new toro personal pace electric start from home depot and the thing doesn't cut worth a damn. i went back to the 85 toro. but i need something as a backup. so now the 85 is the back up and i'm using the commercial unit. i love it. actually pushing a mower and doing some physical labor doesn't bother me a bit.

MnGreen
05-02-2010, 09:22 PM
sorry i just purchased one not even a month ago. i got it with the kaw engine and it was only $499. same exact mower you have pictured. my dealer is offering them with either the kaw or honda engine for the same price.

Even on a "discontinued" model as such that is a crazy price.
Where you getting them for $500.

Don't want a "pusher" but curious, I can believe $700 without having to multiple purchase.

yardguy28
05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Even on a "discontinued" model as such that is a crazy price.
Where you getting them for $500.

Don't want a "pusher" but curious, I can believe $700 without having to multiple purchase.

i'm in indiana. dealer told me there were some sitting at the toro manufacture in boxes and they bougth them up for a good price.

i'd like to do away with using the 21 inchers all together but i'm not ready to turn away business just because i'd have to use the 21 incher. plus even if i did turn away a yard that had to mowed with a 21 incher i still have some accounts that have a section of turf i can't get to with anything bigger yet it's to big to string trim the whole section.

MnGreen
05-04-2010, 01:03 AM
i'm in indiana. dealer told me there were some sitting at the toro manufacture in boxes and they bougth them up for a good price.

i'd like to do away with using the 21 inchers all together but i'm not ready to turn away business just because i'd have to use the 21 incher. plus even if i did turn away a yard that had to mowed with a 21 incher i still have some accounts that have a section of turf i can't get to with anything bigger yet it's to big to string trim the whole section.

Discontinued, pushers, and sitting on a bunch of them smells like give away sometime soon.
There's a definite 21" market everywhere, just not worth "pushing" them. :)