PDA

View Full Version : is a 60" Lesco Z any good?

Yarden Of Eden
04-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I am about to buy one but don't know much about them... I am a Toro and Exmark guy. But this is a really good deal I don't think I can pass up unless there are major issues with these machines. Its a 2001 with about 500 hours on it, with the lesco version of an ultra vac with new engine. Any input is appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device

old oak lawn
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
The one we have is a 2004, so i don't know if they are any different but has been good to us. It is a Z2 25hp kaw. and 60 inch cut and has about 1700 hrs on it. It is our back up mower now as one of the hydro pumps is getting week witch makes the steering feel strange when we use it but it still works. I would not have a problem with buying one again. Hope this helps.

unkownfl
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I've had three. Only issue I have with them is the 20 bucks a blade other than that no issues. I'm actually happier with it than my toro z400

Yarden Of Eden
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Well that's good to know. I only have about 6 hours per week of mowing right now so I'm not really going through a whole lot of blades. I'll be happy to pay $20 a blade if a few of my big commercial bids go through! I'm getting sick of being just underbid!
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Well that's good to know. I only have about 6 hours per week of mowing right now so I'm not really going through a whole lot of blades. I'll be happy to pay $20 a blade if a few of my big commercial bids go through! I'm getting sick of being just underbid!
Posted via Mobile Device

On another note the bolt is 1 1/8 compared to the 15/16 you find on other mowers so now I have to carry more wrenches. Also, the pivot front axle makes for a nicer ride but will get you hung up on curbs if you go over with one front tire and scalp the crap out of the yard. A fixed front axle won't do that but is a rougher ride; however, you can always put the pins in to make it a solid axle if need be.

Yarden Of Eden
04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
That's another good piece of info. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
04-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Ztwo = garbage
Viper is even worse.

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Ztwo = garbage
Viper is even worse.

Why do you say that? Have you owned them? Or just something you've heard? I wanna gather all the facts
Posted via Mobile Device

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Ztwo = garbage
Viper is even worse.

I also would like to know if you say they suck because they cut poorly, or if it is the reliability
Posted via Mobile Device

dwost
04-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Ztwo = garbage
Viper is even worse.

Incorrect, the z-two would be a fine choice. The viper on the other hand is a totally different story. If it's an 01' you are dealing with the Viper.........steer clear.

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Incorrect, the z-two would be a fine choice. The viper on the other hand is a totally different story. If it's an 01' you are dealing with the Viper.........steer clear.

It is a Viper. But what is your reason for saying to stay away
Posted via Mobile Device

dwost
04-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnboy dan
04-30-2010, 09:08 AM
where are you going to get parts? jd bought out lesco and parts will be a huge problem

unkownfl
04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
where are you going to get parts? jd bought out lesco and parts will be a huge problem

I've never had problems getting parts from JDL you know they still make Lescos right? They even have a stander out. A cub cadet tank is the same as the z two. I wouldn't buy a Viper tho.

pugs
04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
We were a Lesco service center for 2-3 years before JD bought them. The mowers are just not up to par with basically any other commercial mower out there. They are just plain built cheap. I have seen things happen to Lesco machines that any other commercial mower it would be impossible to happen on.

Decks bent/curled up like a piece of paper. Decks cracking around the spindle. The front axle cracking at the pivot point. That roller across the back of the deck....LOL...that will be torn off and gone on just about any machine that comes in.

People come in and ask what brands to buy...I dont care if you buy what we sell or not. Just dont get one of these POS if you can help it.

unkownfl
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
We were a Lesco service center for 2-3 years before JD bought them. The mowers are just not up to par with basically any other commercial mower out there. They are just plain built cheap. I have seen things happen to Lesco machines that any other commercial mower it would be impossible to happen on.

Decks bent/curled up like a piece of paper. Decks cracking around the spindle. The front axle cracking at the pivot point. That roller across the back of the deck....LOL...that will be torn off and gone on just about any machine that comes in.

People come in and ask what brands to buy...I dont care if you buy what we sell or not. Just dont get one of these POS if you can help it.

I'm sorry but if you bend the deck up well then of course all the rest will happen. If you mow finished yards like it was designed to do then I don't see how you would have any issues that you describe. I've seen Exmarks Scags Lescos and even a Bunton have cracks around the spindles or spindles broken. Its from people trying to mow brush or hitting objects the machine wasn't designed for.

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM

I have a guy who can still get parts. He was a mechanic for Lesco for 25 years and has a lot of connections. I still haven't had anyone tell me WHY I should staay away from the Viper. The parts thing was a good one and I had thouight about it
Posted via Mobile Device

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Ok this kinda caught my attention. Did those people tell you how those decks got so messed up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry but if you bend the deck up well then of course all the rest will happen. If you mow finished yards like it was designed to do then I don't see how you would have any issues that you describe. I've seen Exmarks Scags Lescos and even a Bunton have cracks around the spindles or spindles broken. Its from people trying to mow brush or hitting objects the machine wasn't designed for.

This makes sense
Posted via Mobile Device

Yarden Of Eden
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
I have a few Toros with a stamped deck, and a Lesco 48 WB. The Lesco Deck seems to be a better quality than the stamped toro deck
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Ok this kinda caught my attention. Did those people tell you how those decks got so messed up?
Posted via Mobile Device

The ones that got bent up really bad mow the fields around schools...like soccer fields or where gym classes are held basically.. These were Ztwo machines.

They Vipers used an odd transmission setup. The pumps/motors are combined and then there is a gearbox that mounts to the side of that made by MTD. Some vipers also had stamped decks instead of fab ones.

After working on many other brands you can just see where they save money in making these machines...MTD or Cub Cadet. These machines are just a step below everything else out there.