PDA

View Full Version : Best Zero Turn Mower for residential

joeco129
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for h elp/suggestions for a new ZTR for my personal use. I have about an acre of mowable lawn and am tired of my lawn tractor. Doing circles is getting old!

Many landscape contractors around here (Connecticut) have Scags so I have been looking at them. Can anyone tell me how the Freedom Z is? Also keep in mind I am planning on buying property in a few years where i will have 3-4 acres to mow. The Tiger Cat seems much better built than the Freedom Z and looking down the road it may suit me better.

What other brands should I look at? Toro, ExMark, Ferris or others??? What do you guys like about Scags... and don't like? Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck and don't mind spending $$$ for a product that will last me for years...

Thanks!

M.A.Landscaping
04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
hey joeco129 im from berlin CT and before i started my business i worked for a landscaper for 2 years and he had a cub cadet rzt 52 in. zero turn. it is not a comercial mower but it is great for cutting residential properties. its a great machine and costs about 3000 to 3500 brand new, the only thing that i dont like about it is that the blades shut off when you reverse but other than that i have no complaints about it.

PremierCrew2
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Scag is a good mower and lays down some good stripes without a stiper kit, the only thing i've noticed between the scag and exmark which we have is you have to ride the foot pedal alot more to avoid scalping. Haven't used any of the others but exmark, I think both are good just depends on how much you want to spend.

joeco129
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Scag is a good mower and lays down some good stripes without a stiper kit, the only thing i've noticed between the scag and exmark which we have is you have to ride the foot pedal alot more to avoid scalping. Haven't used any of the others but exmark, I think both are good just depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks... I'm trying to stay at $6K or less... You say the Scag has a tendency to scalp? The velocity deck seems impressive.

What model ExMark would say I should look at? There is dealer 5 minutes from me in Windsor Locks.

What's your opinion on looking at used ZTR's. Maybe a more commercial grade for a little less? Just no warranty....

mdvaden
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
This morning this thread title caught my eye.

All you folks spinning around on your ZTR mowers got me to visualizing you at retirement.

You may eventually move to the Hoveround Forums

http://www.hoveround.com/

It looks like a ZTR to me.

:)

PremierCrew2
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I would say in the long run if your going to be mowing a few acres or more all the time the commercials are way better and we have always bought used ones to save money. Our Scag has a velocity deck and I love it, thats the mower i pretty much always use it's just seems the deck is really light so when you hit a bump it smashes down pretty easy. If you check out exmark i would say look at a used lazer z, the new prices are pretty steep.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I you want a good value, check out snapper pro. Build and cut quality is right up there with the others.

MS_SURVEYOR
04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=312336&page=3

astrohip
04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Look at Bad Boy. I am not a commercial LCO either, although I do mow a little more acreage than you. I've had my Bad Boy for about a year. Very well made unit, easy to maintain, easy to clean, cuts well. Lot of mower for the dollar.

I'll echo what you read above. It's always better to buy a better made unit, perhaps a little more than what you expect to spend, than buy a "residential" model, and have it under-perform.

I've bought two "residential" weed-eaters (big box store type names) over the last few years, only to have both go belly up within a year. Then I broke down and paid three times as much and bought a Stihl. I'll make the money back just from not having to buy a new one every 12-18 months. :hammerhead:

grass pro llc
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Exmark Quest

rtharris
04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm looking for h elp/suggestions for a new ZTR for my personal use. I have about an acre of mowable lawn and am tired of my lawn tractor. Doing circles is getting old!

Many landscape contractors around here (Connecticut) have Scags so I have been looking at them. Can anyone tell me how the Freedom Z is? Also keep in mind I am planning on buying property in a few years where i will have 3-4 acres to mow. The Tiger Cat seems much better built than the Freedom Z and looking down the road it may suit me better.

What other brands should I look at? Toro, ExMark, Ferris or others??? What do you guys like about Scags... and don't like? Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck and don't mind spending $$$ for a product that will last me for years...

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
04-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Bad boy all the way toughest residential on the planet i own a mz4800 and it mows as well as my neighbors ex mark lazer z commercial mower at half the cost
Posted via Mobile Device

twcw5804
04-30-2010, 06:32 PM
I am purchasing a 52' Snapper Pro Wednesday and having the dealer put on new mulch kit for $3500. Its a 2006 with 770hours. You can still find a new leftover 2009 w/2yr warranty for $5999.

Lawn N Order
04-30-2010, 08:20 PM
dont get a used one. If you have the money, go new. Used commerical ones get traded in for a reason. Unless you know the guy who had it and knew he took care of it I would just go new. Anything around 600+ will need some major maintance for the most part and if it wasnt taken care of, your going to spend alot of money on maintance stuff.

I gotta put Toro in to the running. They have alot of product that is mid way between commerical and homeowner. Kinda a light duty commerical. They have awesome warranty and really good parts realibility for future use.

Brandon327
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I would have to put gravely in the mix also. You get alot for your money in the gravely. I have the pro-turn 152 and like it so far.

cbegap
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
i like Bob cat. I would look around and go used. You can find them with 400 hours plus or minus and save big bucks. Still tons of life left in them at this hour range and you can save 2 grand or so.

vogler.r
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
I would highly recommend the Exmark Lazer Z 23 HP Kawasaki or a same size Exmark Walk Behind, your call to the type. In my opinion, Exmak manufactures the best commercial equipment. Another reason is Exmark's also have fewer parts so there is fewer parts to potentially replace and when you do have to replace them the cost of the parts are less expensive than most other brands. I personally own a Exmark Lazer Z HP - Kawasaki 23 HP. I researched the "Total Cost" of ownership prior to my purchasing decision. Hope this helps.

vogler.r
04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Also a very important consideration is your dealers capabilities for after the sale service and support and also consider the capabilities of the Mfg. to support the dealer. Very Important

joel29m
04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
im gonna embarass myself, i have the toro timecutter z4200 ztr ( a residential mower) i use for my business due to my credit, but its a damn good mower for 2500.00. i cut 23 yards and 3 acres at a church with that thing, i do the maint. on it when recommended or earlier, and hasnt let me down (yet). but ill tell you this, i made xx,xxx.xx dollars with it, and it paid for its self plus more, either that or a john deere.

TONTAGE
05-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks... I'm trying to stay at $6K or less...

if thats your budget,your better off looking for used.here is a turf tiger for sale in plainville.i just bought a turf tiger new and the thing is incredible.heres the link:
http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/1712004962.html

joeco129
05-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Also a very important consideration is your dealers capabilities for after the sale service and support and also consider the capabilities of the Mfg. to support the dealer. Very Important

I agree about having a dealer close by and having service at the ready. Granted i am not a commercial guy so I would think i wouldn't need service as often as you guys working the machines everyday.

Two Scag dealers up around me have the Tiger Cat 48" with a Briggs 26hp ELS between $6800 - $6900. This seems high to me... What do you guys think? Also not sure if I like the Briggs engine. I may be bagging as well... Was looking at the Clamshell dump bagger if i go with Scag and the dealers told me the Briggs is much better for bagging than the Kawi 19hp. I believe I can order a kohler for it to right?

joeco129
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
dont get a used one. If you have the money, go new. Used commerical ones get traded in for a reason. Unless you know the guy who had it and knew he took care of it I would just go new. Anything around 600+ will need some major maintance for the most part and if it wasnt taken care of, your going to spend alot of money on maintance stuff.

I gotta put Toro in to the running. They have alot of product that is mid way between commerical and homeowner. Kinda a light duty commerical. They have awesome warranty and really good parts realibility for future use.

What would a Toro Z master 52" with the Kawi 27hp go for new?

TONTAGE
05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
What would a Toro Z master 52" with the Kawi 27hp go for new?

not sure on that but if you want scag,i picked up my 52" turf tiger 27hp kohler for 10,800 +tax.the bagger is $2600. im in wethersfield if you want to take a look at mine as dealers only stock the 61" decks.

TONTAGE
05-01-2010, 10:18 AM
keep in mind scag offers some very attractive financing plans now. 3.9% for 60 months can't be beat

CincyWolf
05-01-2010, 10:31 AM
You should be able to get a Toro G3 52" with 27hp Kaw for $9500 +/- once they start shipping them again. List is in the low 10,000 range. If you'd be satisfied with the 400 or 500 series you can do better. If you are a commercial cutter that does work for non-profits then Toro has a sweet deal of 28% off MSRP - same as their best bracket price on fleet sales. Toro needs to pre-approve that program so you can't just drive your truck and landscape trailer through a church parking lot every now and then to get it, but if it fits it is a fantastic deal.

rtharris
05-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Go to ur nearest bad boy dealer or tsc and get a mz4800 for 3500 or a zt 6000 for 5000 one is 48 inch with 26 horse briggs els the other is 60 inch with 27 horse kohler you will be satisfied
Posted via Mobile Device

PremierCrew2
05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I would really consider looking at the craigslist link that Tontage posted it seems like a pretty good deal.

rtharris
05-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

rtharris
05-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Bad boy 48 in with 26 briggs els for 3495 bad boy 60 in with27kohler for 4995 brand new
Posted via Mobile Device

joeco129
05-01-2010, 10:52 AM
not sure on that but if you want scag,i picked up my 52" turf tiger 27hp kohler for 10,800 +tax.the bagger is $2600. im in wethersfield if you want to take a look at mine as dealers only stock the 61" decks.

Thanks... Turf Tiger is too much for what I need. So do you think the $6800-$6900 is fair for a Tiger Cat 52"?

For the bagger you have is it the clamshell dump or the bins? How do you like the bagger versus no bagging?

TONTAGE
05-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks... Turf Tiger is too much for what I need. So do you think the $6800-$6900 is fair for a Tiger Cat 52"?

For the bagger you have is it the clamshell dump or the bins? How do you like the bagger versus no bagging?

I dont have a bagger but im looking at the 3 bagger system which is 2600.as for the turf tiger on craigslist,if you can get it for 6k i would buy it

kabota
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Dont even blink about what to get. Just get yourself a Zero Turn Kabota.
No matter what size you decide on. Get the Diesel engine for a long
lasting never breakdown Quality made machine . With Excellent Customer
Service.
PS : Check out my earlier post for Marc . Where I describe my satisfaction
with a KABOTA MOWER.

Good Luck
bobby j

Lawn N Order
05-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I just got a 52 Toro w/ a 27hp Kaw for $7900. Last years model.

bradsd
05-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I just shopped ever mower in my area and I found that the Bad Boy line is the most mower for the money. You should check them out! I only mow a few yards as a part time job so I bought the ZT series with a 60" deck and I couldn't't be happier (also comes with a 50"). The best cut I have ever seen and stripes the yard like a baseball field. It does only have one inter grated pump but its a bit larger than others and I think will be fine over the years. I paid only $4900.00 for this ride and it is awesome!

93Chevy
05-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Snapper Pro mowers are affordable, simple to work on, reliable, durable, built well, and cut like a champ.

mhaley927
05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I would say in the long run if your going to be mowing a few acres or more all the time the commercials are way better and we have always bought used ones to save money. Our Scag has a velocity deck and I love it, thats the mower i pretty much always use it's just seems the deck is really light so when you hit a bump it smashes down pretty easy. If you check out exmark i would say look at a used lazer z, the new prices are pretty steep.

Agree: Love my Tiger Cub (Cat). As a benchmark for you its and '08 19hp kawi w/ 500 hours 4k cash. (Not a great deal, pretty average really, but it IS a great mower.

Exmarks seem overpriced both new and used. I KNOW they are great mowers with beautifult stripes, but my Scag w/out a kit holds its own in the stripe department. Another benchmark: My good friend in the biz just sol his '06 23hp Lazer Z 52" with 1500 hrs for 4400 cash.

I think that Exmark is a great mower but not a great value hardly ever. I'll vouch for Scag and others on this sight will vouch for other smaller more affordable brands. Its pretty tough to go wrong with a good name commercial zturn though. Good luck!

Jay Ray
05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Grass Pro mentioned the eXmark Quest. I don't know if it is still on, but they were running a factory special at $3995 a couple weeks ago (48 cut I think). Very tempting.
Bad Boy looks good too.

rtharris
05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I just shopped ever mower in my area and I found that the Bad Boy line is the most mower for the money. You should check them out! I only mow a few yards as a part time job so I bought the ZT series with a 60" deck and I couldn't't be happier (also comes with a 50"). The best cut I have ever seen and stripes the yard like a baseball field. It does only have one inter grated pump but its a bit larger than others and I think will be fine over the years. I paid only $4900.00 for this ride and it is awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

TONTAGE
05-02-2010, 09:02 AM
heres a 48" tiger cub in MASS with 3 bagger system.:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scag-Tiger-Cub-/300423444089?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2a1f679

coobie
05-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks!For my personal use I mow with a 2007 Kubota ZD326 pro 60 inch deck.

thomasglenn
05-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I didn't read all the other replies, and it may already be posted, exmark quest sp price went down about 1000$ last week. Not sure how long the price is good.

puppypaws
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
What I can see from reading this thread is there are a large number of people very satisfied with their American made zero turn mowers; no matter which brand it may be. What I suggest is you get a dealer to let you demo (only in your cutting situation), the mowers that fit into your price range.

No matter what advice you receive in this thread; just because one mower suits their likes and needs does not mean it will satisfy yours. You can put a dozen people on the same mower in the same cutting situation, and you will have a certain number that will love the machine and a certain number that will not. Remember, the one you must satisfy is yourself, it is your money being spent, no one else's.

I will say that the most mower for the money on the market today is Bad Boy, this does not mean you will like it, but you can never know unless you demo one.

rtharris
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Good advise puppy and your right about bad boy being the best value in ztrs and one of the best built also
Posted via Mobile Device

MS_SURVEYOR
05-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm right there. I did a bunch of research. I did a whole lot of window shopping. I even rode down the roads stopping to watch lawn care mowers do their task on all the different brands of ztr. I for one could be happy on a number of different brand name ztr's. It all comes down to one has to make a choice. In my case, my wife made our choice. There was just something about Bad Boy that made her feel good. I feel puppy hit it on the head.

puppypaws
05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm right there. I did a bunch of research. I did a whole lot of window shopping. I even rode down the roads stopping to watch lawn care mowers do their task on all the different brands of ztr. I for one could be happy on a number of different brand name ztr's. It all comes down to one has to make a choice. In my case, my wife made our choice. There was just something about Bad Boy that made her feel good. I feel puppy hit it on the head.

One thing about that.....you keep "mama" happy, and everyone is happy!!!

MS_SURVEYOR
05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
One thing about that.....you keep "mama" happy, and everyone is happy!!!

:drinkup:

:cool2: