PDA

View Full Version : Lady wants price over phone

Darryl G
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
What is with people, do they think I have a magic crystal ball that allows me to view their propeties in detail remotely? I just got a call from a lady who wants two areas reseeding (she did give me dimensions on one of them), phragmites mowed and a drainage problem fixed (top soil hauled in) and wants a price over the phone. I told her I'd have to see the place and tried to set up an appointment but she said nevermind then, I'll find someone else. Oh, and she wants it done immediately, lol.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I get alot of people wanting prices over the phone. The way i see it if they aren't willing to give you an adress so you can give a proper estimate you probably don't to deal with them anyway. Last year some guy calls me up and gives the general area of about 10 rental units he wanted mowed. They happened to be in the heart of the downtown area where barely have enough room to park a motorcycle and crime rate is like south central LA. I told to go ahead and call the next guy because I don't work conditions like that and he completely freaked over the phone. The guy went totally nuts just because I didn't want to go into that area of town. Hell, if you step around the back side of a house for 2 or 3 minutes your trailer would be completely stripped, no thanks.

Darryl G
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
That's the nice part of being a business owner; you can pick and choose where you want to work and who you want to work for. Not much crime in my area but you do have to keep an eye on things like backpack blowers and fiberglass handled hand tools...it seems they grow legs when unattended.

FastMan
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I get alot of people wanting prices over the phone. The way i see it if they aren't willing to give you an adress so you can give a proper estimate you probably don't to deal with them anyway. Last year some guy calls me up and gives the general area of about 10 rental units he wanted mowed. They happened to be in the heart of the downtown area where barely have enough room to park a motorcycle and crime rate is like south central LA. I told to go ahead and call the next guy because I don't work conditions like that and he completely freaked over the phone. The guy went totally nuts just because I didn't want to go into that area of town. Hell, if you step around the back side of a house for 2 or 3 minutes your trailer would be completely stripped, no thanks.

Wow,,, you just decimated my perception of Montana.

clydebusa
04-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Had this same thing happen in the bad part of Tulsa. The person took it to the next level and called the BBB because I wouldn't give them a quote or a drive by. BBB called and I told them the story and then of course they wanted me to join. no thank!!!!!!!!:hammerhead:

WHIPPLE5.7
04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow,,, you just decimated my perception of Montana.

Most of it is nice but in the downtown part of the bigger cities there is alot of scum. People would slice your throat with a butter knife for 12 pack of Keystone.

Aaronnc
04-30-2010, 02:00 PM
What is with people, do they think I have a magic crystal ball that allows me to view their propeties in detail remotely? Well maybe not in detail, but definitely remotely. At least square footage wise, as long as you have an address. For a fee, you can use something like goilawn or free ones like: http://measurefromouterspace.com/index.cfm or google maps/earth or http://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm. There's all kinds of free and paid ones on the net. Just be careful and make sure the maps are up to date or the latest. It obviously doesn't replace seeing the property, but it can used as a very helpful tool in dealing with phone customers.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Is this even worth posting about?
I would dismiss it and move on without further adieu.

44DCNF
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Tell these customers that all the jobs you estimate over the phone are also installed and executed over the phone....that they will need to keep the phone clear of traffic on the installation day so you can get the work done without interruption.

greens witch
04-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Wow I was born in Great Falls MT, I guess things change over the years! People expect the impossible sometimes. I over see an 18 hole golf course, and this lady calls the other day and wants me to drop everything and come over to mow in back of her house NOW because she has company coming. All the houses back up to the course, about a thousand of them. I have a 4 person crew and it takes everything we have just to get the rough mowed in a 40hr week. I told her she would have to wait for the rough mower to make his normal rounds. I dont think I made any brownie points!

clydebusa
04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
There once was a lady went to the pro shop and complained about bees being on the golf course. The pro ask where did you get stung, she stated between hole number one and two. He said lady I don't know anything about bees but your stance is too wide.

Darryl G
04-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Well maybe not in detail, but definitely remotely. At least square footage wise, as long as you have an address. For a fee, you can use something like goilawn or free ones like: http://measurefromouterspace.com/index.cfm or google maps/earth or http://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm. There's all kinds of free and paid ones on the net. Just be careful and make sure the maps are up to date or the latest. It obviously doesn't replace seeing the property, but it can used as a very helpful tool in dealing with phone customers.

Yes, I use Bing Maps and that measure from outer space site all the time but it's not gonna help with stuff like what this lady was asking me for. Useful sites though. I'm in the habit of pulling up properties before I even go to look at them now.

Darryl G
04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Is this even worth posting about?
I would dismiss it and move on without further adieu.

So sorry to have wasted your time. And if I were you, I wouldn't have even bothered with your negative smart ass post.

Darryl G
04-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Tell these customers that all the jobs you estimate over the phone are also installed and executed over the phone....that they will need to keep the phone clear of traffic on the installation day so you can get the work done without interruption.

LOL, good one!

mowerbrad
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
After I worked for the fire department for the past couple years I got pretty good at visualizing properties, so long that they gave me their address. As far as mowing would go, I could have an idea for the price before I even would set foot on the customer's property. But I still go out and price it out. But landscape jobs like the one you described really need to be gone out and seen.

I get people a few times a year that want a price over the phone for services, but I've never had someone say that they would pass on my services because I didn't give them a price over the phone.

topsites
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
I think some folks are either totally clueless, or maybe they're "testing" to see how "easy" one of us is.

Well have I got news for that :p

All I would say is:
Ma'am I would be glad to get you an estimate, may I please have your address?

And when they say "no but can't I just get a price?"
I repeat myself, one more time, exact same tone of voice:

And if they're still like not wanting to do that, oh well, watch I keep saying this:

That's what you do, just repeat yourself, be nice, be polite, but stand your ground.

Had this same thing happen in the bad part of Tulsa. The person took it to the next level and called the BBB because I wouldn't give them a quote or a drive by. BBB called and I told them the story and then of course they wanted me to join. no thank!!!!!!!!:hammerhead:

My business is accredited with the BBB and I can assure you with a phone quote
request the customer would get nowhere with a call to them.

After all it's a FREE estimate, all I need is their address, so what is the problem?
Not to sound like a broken record, but one more time:
Ma'am / Sir I would be glad to get you an estimate, may I please have your address?

yardguy28
04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
i get people wanting prices over the phone all the time. i always try to get there address and tell them i need to see it. some reply with whats your average charge. so i tell me what my average charge is and they usually hang up after that. didn't want that type anyway.

Darryl G
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
LOL. The lady called back this morning. I guess she couldn't find anyone to give her a price over the phone and to do the work immediately. She did give her name this time, so I guess we're making progress. I told her I was booked for the rest of the month now.

cozymonkey
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I tell them the price over the phone and then I say based on what you are telling me this is your price if I see different at the property then my price will change. Simple as that if its not the same then change your price. If it is then get r done.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-05-2010, 02:57 PM
i have given flyers out before stating "drive by estimates" without seeing the backyard really. ive had people call and ask me to come out for an estimate and i give it. they pull out my flyer and say.."oh well ur flyer said youd do it for $35". it sux havin to explain to them that it was just a drive by estimate as stated and i am really just average estimating the size of your backyard from ewhat i can see from the road and giving my estimnate. Isnt that the reason its called an ESTIMATE rather than a quote? usually i try to stay close to my drive by price but sometimes the backyards are a friggin field that u cant see until you walk it. so ive stopped putting a price on the flyers so i dont catch any crap

Grits
05-05-2010, 07:24 PM
There once was a lady went to the pro shop and complained about bees being on the golf course. The pro ask where did you get stung, she stated between hole number one and two. He said lady I don't know anything about bees but your stance is too wide.

:laugh:
LMAO!!!!!!!

Darryl G
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
She didn't even give me enough information to be able to guess. Fix the drainage problem and mow the Phragmites.....needs to be seen and to do that I need an address!

rain man
05-05-2010, 08:16 PM
We don't take jobs in every area either. At a prior job we would go to a jobsite and delegate one or two people just to watch the trucks all day.