PDA

View Full Version : Commercial flower bed bid

packer71
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I have a question about bidding commercial flower beds and pots. I have read on this site to double the cost of the flowers. Do you also double the price of soil? Also do you charge differently if your planting in a flower garden vs. a flower pot?

Thanks

By Us Company
04-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Calculate your costs of materials, labor and any overhead and then put your percentage profit you want to receive on top of that. To me, planting is planting. I usually determine (# of plants x cost) and then (man hours x rate) and base my pricing off that. Add any additional equipment needed and any other overhead items. I know that some contractors base there cost on Sq. Ft. of beds.

packer71
05-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I understand the concept of how to bid i.e. rate x hours but I am wondering how long each flower bed, and pot will take to plant. Also I am wondering how much to mark up the materials.

Thanks

Caterkillar
05-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I understand the concept of how to bid i.e. rate x hours but I am wondering how long each flower bed, and pot will take to plant. Also I am wondering how much to mark up the materials.

Thanks

There are alot of variables. If you do not know how to bid it, you will probably just have to guess on your man hours and learn from the experience.

Generally two guys can install 40-60 flats(landscaper 18 packs 3 1/2" cups) per day(20-24 man hours). If it is one large bed in one location, you will be more efficient. If they are in several different places, you will be less efficient.

I think to bid it competively, you will have to have a good idea on the man hours it takes to complete. If you use a formula like "double the price of plant material," you are not taking into account the cost of nicer plant material and the efficiency of the job. If it is a small job, your price may be too low. If it is a large job, your price may be too high. If you use really nice plant material, doubling the cost may price you out of the job.