PDA

View Full Version : Musical Fiber Lighting Systems / Controls

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Ok this is a new one by me, but I have a client who is specifically asking that I build a lighting system for his pond and gardens that would change in sync with music.

(I have seen this done with Christmas Lighting and have heard of it in regards to Fiber systems)

He claims it is "all the rage in the USA" :usflag:

I am open to investigating it for him, but don't know where to start. Have any ideas.

tadpole
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Cal Pump makes them. They are called "Splash Dance Lighting"

RLI Electric
04-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I had the same request for a personal home dance studio. I did not have luck finding it though. I would imagine it is heavy on the software side. She wanted to brighten the lights with the uptempo songs and dim them to the softer songs. Would have been cool to have that one on the belt.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info tadpole but that is not what I have in mind. Splash Dance Lighting are kits that incorporate pumps and some really low end light fixtures... that is not going to cut it for this job.

Basically what I need is an old style "color organ" controller that has been updated to control LV landscape lighting or fiber. It is a simple circuit with an audio input. as the frequency of music changes it triggers various transistors (triacs) to open and close.

Back in my stage lighting days I actually built one of these things, but it was for 240V and 120V stage lighting. Heathkit (now I am dating myself!) used to sell color organs as electronic kits you could assemble.

Still looking....

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-30-2010, 06:05 PM
You just have to LOVE Google!

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Color-Organ/Color-Organ.htm

This is exactly what I built way back when... from scratch, even built the PC board in electronics shop. (geeked way out)

David Gretzmier
04-30-2010, 11:39 PM
For Christmas lights they use a computer program set different frequencies in the song and different decibal levels engage different output channels. and multi channel output to sync to music, along with an FM transmitter so folks can listen in front of the house. I have always thought it was tacky and annoying to neighbors for the flashing and the traffic. You cannot do the dimming with LV, you would have to do a line voltage system to get the dimming effects with music.

as far as folks that have experience with that type of lighting, I would talk with chuck over at planetchristmas.com.

good luck.