PDA

View Full Version : Costco Trimmer - Swisher E4-S3000

smokeat
04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Hello all, new homeowner with a 1/2 acre to maintain in Southern California. My land is partial hillsides, and was poorly maintained while property went through foreclosure. I used this site to help me decide on which mower to purchase(Honda HRX217HXA). I saw a line trimmer at Costco yesterday, a Swisher E4-S3000. After researching the unit on the web, it seems to be a good deal at $250. Not sure I need this good of a trimmer, but I hate to buy stuff which is inadequate or fails prematurely, such as the lesser models of top quality brands made specifically for big box home improvement stores. Also, buying from Costco gets their unbeatable return policy. Would really appreciate some quick feedback as they only had about 5 in stock, and I would not count on more stock this season. Thanks to all who reply, and to all who helped me choose my mower.

capnrob97
05-02-2010, 07:46 AM
They have the E4-S4000 here for $199.

It is a good deal for me, I bought it and the hedge trimmer for the same price.

dwost
05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
The Swisher is a rebadged Shindaiwa. It would be a great choice and should last you quite a long time with routine maintenance.

smokeat
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the input. I bought the Swisher, and after talking to the local shops I think I will take it back(unused). They have not heard of Swisher, and although it is a rebadged Shindiawa ordering parts or doing warranty work would be difficult or impossible. Seems that I will be better off buying something more common in the Southern Cali area. Stihl, Echo, Kawasaki, & Shindiawa 2 stroke trimmers are locally popular. I like the characteristics of the hybrid engine, but it has been out for 8 years and most pros still use 2 strokes. Really could use some suggestions from experienced users on which models are most reliable and strongest, while still in the price range of $250 to $350. Am looking at the professionals forums for guidance as well.

Hoss27
05-10-2010, 12:51 AM
The Swisher is a 2-stroke.

capnrob97
05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
The Swisher is a 2-stroke.

The way they describe it, it is a 4 stroke but you still mix the oil with the gas.

rwaters
05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
the swisher is a 4mix basically a 4cycle with 2cycle oil. you will find a lot of LCOs even that have 4mix trimmers and don't know they are not running a 2cycle engine. And I would avoid a re-branded trimmer they might be hard to get parts for as the breakdowns will be hard to find and swisher is really hard to get parts for and deal with from a dealers point of view.

4mix trimmers have been out a few years though if your looking at that. Mainly Stihl, Echo and Shindaiwa. They have been holding up well with little more then valve adjustments required, I still see the weight to power ratio being higher in a commercial trimmer like Redmax though being better. And the 2cycle trimmers have fewer moving parts lowering your chance of failure.

Hoss27
05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I apologize, it is a 4 cycle that uses mix.
I bought the edger today, $200 at costco. All I have to say to the people that insist you can't get a good clean edge unless you use a dedicated edger... BS. I bought it for clean-ups and to see what I was missing. After 5-10 minutes with it, I can honestly say it won't see much use as there is not much difference. Now if I could only find a costco that has the trimmer :D

capnrob97
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I apologize, it is a 4 cycle that uses mix.
I bought the edger today, $200 at costco. All I have to say to the people that insist you can't get a good clean edge unless you use a dedicated edger... BS. I bought it for clean-ups and to see what I was missing. After 5-10 minutes with it, I can honestly say it won't see much use as there is not much difference. Now if I could only find a costco that has the trimmer :D

I don't know why different Costcos sell different Swishers.

Here they sell the string trimmer and hedger trimmer.

I would have bought the Swisher stick edger if they sold it here, went with an Echo edger instead.

fldaves
07-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Just to update this thread, Costco now has the E4-S3000 trimmer @ 99.97 and the E4-E3000 edger @ 79.97(clearance price) . And they are going fast as resellers have found this bargin for the shindaiwa powered tools!

frotis
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I wonder which parts are interchangable and which parts are made cheaper:

Swisher E4-E3000:
http://www.swisherinc.com/e4_lawn_edgers.asp
http://www.swisherinc.com/images/e4_e3000.jpg

Shindaiwa LE242:
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/products_2/lawnedgers/le242.php
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/_images/products/lawnedgers/enlarge/le242.jpg

fldaves
07-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Shindaiwa actually administers the warranty for the Swisher twins.

frotis
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Shindaiwa actually administers the warranty for the Swisher twins.

Are they identical or made with cheaper parts, thinner shaft etc?

fldaves
07-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Shindaiwa made these(E3000,S3000...) for Swisher using mostly the same materials based on the Shindaiwa T2510 trimmer & LE2510 edger models.

horsequick
03-15-2011, 11:50 PM
No...I believe that the swisher is the hybrid LE254 Shindaiwa. I haven't seen them side by side but they are both 4stroke and have the same specs.

horsequick
03-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Here is a pic of the shindy LE254....notice even the same fuel tank holder as the picture above.

Popeye77
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Owning three Shindy products, the oldest a T230 which has got to be 10yrs old i would buy that swisher in a heartbeat. If i had a Costco near me i would hotfoot it down there and get that edger. Then download an LE242 parts manual

horsequick
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Owning three Shindy products, the oldest a T230 which has got to be 10yrs old i would buy that swisher in a heartbeat. If i had a Costco near me i would hotfoot it down there and get that edger. Then download an LE242 parts manual

I went ahead and bought one this morning on Ebay for $219 total. I don't think it's the LE242. Since it's a 4-stroke with same specs I think it's the LE254. I went ahead and downloaded the owner's manual for the Swisher....this is the best part. In the swisher owner's manual it stated that Shindaiwa will handle all warranty claims!!! Now THAT'S a deal!!

Popeye77
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Edit to post.
My bad i stand corrected oooops
Probably would be better if i downloaded a LE254 parts list. I would be curious to see if part #;s are the same.
That is a good buy