PDA

View Full Version : unhappy with Exmark mulch kit help needed

dlandscaping
07-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Finally installed mulch kit on 36 metro took a while since all those deck bolts were on tight. I get the kit on and go to mow and now i have a strip down the middle of the mower about 3-4 inches wide of uncut grass. I dont understand it. It happens on wet dry thin thick lawns and im in gear 1 or 2. any help appreciated.

Ssouth
07-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Something is wrong. We have mulch kits for all five of our eXmark's and all of them work perfectly. I would check and make sure you have the correct kit and the correct blades. Good luck with this problem, if you have any specific questions on the installation PM me and I will be more than happy to help with any info. that I can give.

General Grounds
07-04-2002, 10:58 PM
:blob3: i know on some mulching kits you have to change the deck pitch, usually has to be up as oposed to being pitched down when not using a kit. tony

Greenstar Services
07-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Check and make sure that you have the right mulching kit. If you do and you have the mulching blades on than check your belts for the blades as they will wear out and start to slip. I mulch from mid April to Early October in all kinds of weather with very little problem.

Premo Services
07-05-2002, 09:21 AM
I also use the exmrk mulch kit with no problems, You might want to try the exmark forum. Make a post there, they are always ready with good solutions.

brucec32
07-06-2002, 01:57 AM
Let's hope it's improper installation. I Just ordered a mulching kit based on the positive things I've heard about Exmark's mulching capability. Mostly for leaves in the fall. I still bag Bermuda for appearance sake, but I would try mulching if others are getting good results.

Tony Harrell
07-06-2002, 07:54 AM
Sounds like a deck pitch problem. The manual for my Bob-Cat says to raise the pitch in front instead of the back if the mulch kit is installed. I remember leaving strips on my lawn tractor because of improper pitch.

dlandscaping
07-06-2002, 07:10 PM
ok i properly installed the baffles and plates etc got a fax with directions from dealer i did it right the first time thanks to hoss. I am using the "mulching" blades that came with the kit. I have the back of the deck set on C and 2 spacers under blade and three under caster. Lgf told me try higher lift blades and thats what i am going to do next. the blade belt was just adjusted as well. (its only about 100 hrs old too) thanks guys ill report back tomorow

65hoss
07-06-2002, 08:29 PM
Any other blades but the eXmark mulching blades have a tendency to mess up the airflow.
You may be mowing to high. The higher the deck the worse it makes the airflow. It could also the the setup, MikeLT1Z28 was have a similar problem this spring and Fred @ eXmark walked him thru the setup and it has been flawless ever sence.
Post it or call him about the "Fred Special" on mulch kit setups.

KNOWHOWELTD
07-06-2002, 11:14 PM
im having the same problem with a feris mulch kit on a 36 in wb... ever since i set it up, its been leaving strips, especially when turning... im not happy at all with its cutting, but i dont know what to do, ive sharpened blades and all.... anyone help?

Doogiegh
07-07-2002, 12:26 AM
It's gotta be either deck pitch or the blade height, since a mulching kit works off of vaccuum and really changes air flow around compared to a regular side-discharge process.

First though, you said you have a 36.. First thing I thought of is are you using the right blades, cause I don't know the specs, but MAYBE you are using 2 16 inch blades which would be for a 32" cut, when you MAYBE should be using 18 inch blades for a 36 inch cut.

I only thought of that cause I was looking for replacement blades for my 32 and I saw BOTH 16 and 18" blades for sale.. Wonder if you got the wrong ones, maybe even wrong ones packaged in with your mulch kit.

I'm using a 32" Exmark Metro with a newly installed mulch kit, so far the results have been nothing short of spectacular. So there is hope for ya.

I also have my deck on the "C" hole, but I have 3 spacers under the blade spindle and 3 spacers on the front wheels. This puts the blade lower under the deck, and also a shorter cut height by about 1/4" than what you have.. But i'm almost sure I read somewhere about the "reccommended" number of spacers under the blade, and it made a difference to go from the stock "2" setting to "3"..

Good luck.
Gary

dlandscaping
07-07-2002, 11:11 PM
i took off the mulching blades and put on the factory blades and measured the two sets up and woolahh the mulching were 1/4" or so shorter than the factory so maybe with he shorter blade it cant pull the grass up in the middle leaving that streak. ill post in exmark next.