PDA

View Full Version : Echo CS300 Chainsaw wont idle or run right

Threadbare702
04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
I just spent $75 replacing some other parts on this thing like a new ignition coil and handle etc. It doesnt seem to want to run correctly. couldnt get it to idle at all until i cranked the fuel (high and low) way up, now it burns too much gas. Still wont idle and after it shuts off it smokes from the exhaust. Any suggestions?

piston slapper
04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
remove the muffler, look at the piston. If it is scratched up, it might need a piston and cylinder.

Unscrewing the jets to make it pull gas easier could be a sign of low compression or a partially clogged carb.

Threadbare702
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
just pulled the exhaust off and the port was fairly clean (not too much build up) and the piston seemed to be in good shape. Removed the carburetor and checked the gaskets and they seemed to be in good shape, carb was clean. Then I noticed the fuel line into the carb was kinked as I was removing it to check the fuel filter. Seemed to fix the problem but still having a hard time getting it to idle correctly. I guess ill keep adjusting until I can get it right. thanks for the tips.

dutch1
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
I've worked on several chainsaws with your symptoms. If the jug/cylinder/compression check out you may find the fuel screen in the carb plugged with wood fines. I'm not sure how the crap gets past the fuel filter but it does. Some of it is the result of not cleaning the area around the tank cap when refilling and in addition it's possible some gets past the tank vent.

You didn't mention replacing the intank filter. You may want to start there if you haven't done so. Pull the filter, sling off excess fuel then see how difficult it is to suck air through it. If you haven't replaced it recently, do so.