PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think

stuntmanlogan
04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey guys and gals, ive gotta a couple of questions. Ill start off with this year will be my first year in snow removal. I still have one year left in college but I only go to school on tuesdays and thursdays so shouldn't be hard, plus I landed a larger account and with the contract they needed me to do snow removal.

So right now I drive a 1996 chevy silverado 1500 which my plan is to have it sold here in the next few months to be able to purchase a newer 2500hd. But with my silverado its blue book is 7,000 to 7,400 at best. The only thing is I have put about that much maybe more in it since I bought in to start off with a brand new crate motor from GM, and that was at only 67,000 miles. Now it has around 80,000 and everything runs perfect to. So do you guys or gals think I would be able to get more like 8,700 that what I feel its at least worth if not more. But im being realistic because theres now way I will ever get what ive put in it. Over all the trucks in great shape very little rust in the cab corner which I have grinned down and painted with raptor liner. And theres on baseball size dent in the third door maybe a little smaller but you can only see it when you look for it. So any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Swampy
04-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Well first off your only going to get maybe 5-6,000 in on a trade for it. Auto dealers have to fill their fridges to you know plus make a profit off it. They don't go by Blue Book value's, they have black books.

If your going find a plow truck find one with a blade on it already. Generally after a few seasons the value of the blade drops out, unless its a V-blade or a Speedwing type of plow. Don't get me wrong straight blades still work and do the job, but those "Speciality" type of blades are faster and can make life plowing easier. Seeing your first season of plowing, get a straight blade, you are going to learn the basics of plowing quick with one.

Snow plows are just going to tear up your front end, no matter what you do, or how you plow. What ever truck your going to plow with I advise having a few extra suspension parts on hand being your one and only plow truck. In case you have a late night, the auto store is closed and need to replace a tie rod end. Also extra hydralic hoses and pins for the snow plow are a must. (think: the snow plow sits, generally outside, for 9 months out of the year)

When deciding on a truck, think what season is going to give higher revenue and buy a truck for those seasons. In my honest opinion, talking half ton's for snow the best set up is a 4x4 standard cab short bed 7ft 6in blade with a big V8 in it. Locker rear end is a plus as well. Should get you threw anything and fit where is needed I.E. between cars, drive thru''s, etc on the small spaces. Thus is also why Jeep wranglers with blades are almost in high demand some years. Again in my honest opinion 4x2 drive trucks lower than a F450 size class shouldn't be plowing, F450 sizes have weight over half tons you could still plow with 1 tons that are 2 wheel drive but not a pick up model but that is pushing it as well. Though some also say that having 4x4 gets you into deeper trouble of getting stuck, most plow manufactures say though its not recommended putting a blade on a 4x2 truck.

Other thing I found with trucks is gearing within the transmission and read end, think of it like towing but your pushing.

Is this new truck going to be carrying a salter/sander as well? Salt to a truck is highly corrosive to the entire thing. Companys that plow usually leave their older, beat up, crap box trucks for salting. It tears up trucks, but is most profitable venture in snow and ice control.

Hope this helps a bit.

stuntmanlogan
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Well the plan is to sell it on craigslist or autotrader. Im going to try and not deal with a dealer this round. The model im looking at is a 2500hd 03-06 extended cab short box which is what I have now just in a half ton. Im planning on getting an 8ft straight blade for it and putting front end parts in like leveling kit or timberns. But I need the extended cab for employees. Im going to have atleast one employee next year and maybe two for leaf removal, rain days etc. Which brings me to the next thing this truck will be hauling either a 16ft or 18 ft enclosed trailer also next year. It wont have a salter, the only thing were salting are 4 walkways which are only about 8ft long each. So im just going to be spreading that threw a push spreader. But is what im asking is would anyone ever even think of spending more than blue book as a buyer for this truck because of what I have done. And I have it all in a folder everything I have done to the truck. Thanks

Swampy
04-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't know it can go both ways on how you describe it to a potential buyer. If anything set a price in your mind what you want out of it, such as $7,400 put it up for $8,400 OBO, and take anything at or over $7,400. Which to me is kind of high for a 96.

Think of it this way, your going to list the miles. Some people will see the add and say "Wow what low miles!" or "Something is wrong with it". Goes both ways don't cha know.

stuntmanlogan
04-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah I get what your saying. Ill put it on craigslist and try it first there cause its free.