PDA

View Full Version : Help with some Plant Selection

Stevegotcrabgrass
04-30-2010, 04:45 PM
This is for my house, I want to put something ina bed in front of a bay window. The bed is about 7ft wide by 3 feet deep. I would like something for the center as a focal point as I have the surrounding area designed. I would like something about 2-3.5 ft tall and would love showy flowers as this will be a focal point of this bed. The area is mostly sunny with some shade in later part of the day. Soil is well drained, and can be easily ammended. I would also like something that blooms for a long time. I am in zone 7. What do you guys like and what do you put in your beds....I would like roses but the wife doesn't want roses?? No idea why....whuddya got?

thackerlawncare
05-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Burning bush might be nice.

tyler_mott85
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Knock-Out Rose bush came to mind until I read your wife didn't want any.

Make sure she knows that there are Rose plants that are actual bushes and aren't the stringy long armed plants that all the "big wig" rose freaks like so well.

Burning bush would be colorful, although no flowers. But make sure you get the right variety because some get over 8 foot tall and wide and if you have to cut them back to fit into an area they tend to get woody.

Also you might tell us how much sun exposure the area gets, what soil conditions you're working with, and what side of the house the plant will be.

Good luck! :waving:

Surfdunn
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
ckeck out the encore azalea.

Crash
05-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd go Azalea or maybe a nice big Hydrangea. Those always look nice and get about the size you're shooting for.

Stevegotcrabgrass
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
The area is sunny with partial shade in the later part of the day. Soil is well drained and has irrigation in place. The bed sits on the southwestern portion of the property. The land has been cleared of many trees so we get a lot of sun. Are the encore's able to be shaped into say a ball or keep them below 3 ft tall?