PDA

View Full Version : used hydro or new belt unit

arcticbouncer
04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
What is your opinion I can get either a 3ish year old 48 hydro scag in what look like great condition still has all paint, it was a back up unit for 3500.00 or a new 48 belt unit for 3200.00 both have kawi 17( i think ). Going to be mowing my yard 1/2 acr and 2-3 more also for now .. What do you guys think used or new and I know pics would have been nice for the used one but it look darn near new . Thanks for the imput!

cbegap
04-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Your are going to get all kinds of opinions but mine is I would go hydro. Yes you can do 90% of everything with a belt, but I just like the way the hydros feel. I am also heavier and my hydro pulls my fat but up the hills better on a velky. The only thing that might change my mind is if you are getting ECS with the new belt. If those are the only yards you are cutting you shouldn't ever wear the machine out so go for the one that feels best to you.

SchnabelLawnCare
04-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Easy. Hydro.

Made the switch finally and haven't looked back since!

TJLANDS
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
What is your opinion I can get either a 3ish year old 48 hydro scag in what look like great condition still has all paint, it was a back up unit for 3500.00 or a new 48 belt unit for 3200.00 both have kawi 17( i think ). Going to be mowing my yard 1/2 acr and 2-3 more also for now .. What do you guys think used or new and I know pics would have been nice for the used one but it look darn near new . Thanks for the imput!

If it is for personal use and one or two neighbors or even a couple more, save the money and buy the new one with the warranty. You will have no repair bills for at least two years.

clean_cut
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Hydro, but I MIGHT keep looking, I don't know about the hydro you found, but I think one could probably be found cheaper, but I'm not sure about the market in you area.

I found mine 3-4 yrs old with around 100 hrs for $2,500, he was asking $2,800, but I was able to talk him down (which I would highly sugest trying)

unkownfl
04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
For your own personal yard get a belt. I really hate belts but they are so simple and easy to maintain. I 17 on a hydro 48 is kinda low to be honest. Not saying it won't work but if you put a sulky and mulch kit on it you will be under powered.

chobley
05-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm in the same boat..Been looking for a used 48" Hydro here in NY , but may go with a belt because they are more availabe . I think I saw that scag your reffering to .

The Captain
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I would go with the hydro, but I'd try to get down to something around $2800. Scag mowers are solid and last like a tank. I don't know what the mower market is in your area but there are alot of lowballing part timers out there now that may pay the $3500.