PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge for 17 yards mulch bought and installed.

Decoste76
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Plus beds edged, and weeded, and put preen down. This is with two guys!!

Need help! thanks alot!!!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
i used to live in walpole,MA. in your area you probly get ur mulch around 25/yard. right? some people charge alot more, but i personally charge 38/yard (but i get it for 22-24/yard w/discount). Plus 25 for each yard to install it. so around 65/yard installed. bed prep and others is extra. plus i charge a delivery fee on top of that. Usually charge hourly per guy for the bed prep and laying weed sheet. Hope that helps, but its tough to answer that question because people charge ALOT different prices for various locations. Good luck. (your best bet for 17 yards if u cant haul it, is have the company drop it off and charge the customer for the delivery fee plus 50 bucks for yourself for setting it up and ****). some guys drop the price for a customer if they are getting over 10 yards, but i just did a 14 yard job the other day and didnt drop it a dime and they were fine with it.

Decoste76
04-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Im getting it for 38.50 and thats my price

By Us Company
04-30-2010, 04:58 PM
If your paying 38.50 I would charge minimum $60/Yard just for the mulch to the site. For bed prep, weeding and install approximately $50-$60/Yard. So anywhere between $1850 and $2050 seems pretty good.

minix
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Im getting it for 38.50 and thats my price

Holly **** thats alot . They are sure not cutting you a break .

minix
04-30-2010, 05:04 PM
If your paying 38.50 I would charge minimum $60/Yard just for the mulch to the site. For bed prep, weeding and install approximately $50-$60/Yard. So anywhere between $1850 and $2050 seems pretty good.

Oh man I must be a lowballer because I could do 17 yards for almost 1/2 that price and still make a great chunk of change

By Us Company
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I guarantee you don't pay 38.50 for mulch or charge 60/yard either though. I wouldn't charge nearly that much either, just trying to help him out.

And if your charging half that, you are buying, delivering, installing mulch for $60/yard. Also bed prep, weeding and edging including. Yes that is VERY low.

minix
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I guarantee you don't pay 38.50 for mulch or charge 60/yard either though. I wouldn't charge nearly that much either, just trying to help him out.

And if your charging half that, you are buying, delivering, installing mulch for $60/yard. Also bed prep, weeding and edging including. Yes that is VERY low.

Well not quite that cheap but I had to make my post sound tough lol. Also I will say is I could sell you a yard of mulch for $18.00 and make money . But what prices was listed above was way high in my neck of the woods.

Decoste76
04-30-2010, 05:29 PM
ya that sounds right for my area. i give this customer it for 1595.78

minix
04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
ya that sounds right for my area. i give this customer it for 1595.78

$93.87 per yard layed? That pretty good money. I just have a hard time with what some pay for prep work. Edge spray mulch maybe pull a few. I need more people like you handing out them kinda bids around me.

MileHigh
04-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I would charge around $1190 depending on where the mulch is going, which is $70 a yard...but with your very high purchase price the client would have to eat that and I would charge around 110 a yard....good luck getting that price.

I would keep shopping for a better mulch provider, unless those prices are something you think the client can take.

Rivervalleylawns
04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I would charge around $1190 depending on where the mulch is going, which is $70 a yard...but with your very high purchase price the client would have to eat that and I would charge around 110 a yard....good luck getting that price.

I would keep shopping for a better mulch provider, unless those prices are something you think the client can take.

I would be pretty close to your price. For 17 yards I would install for 50 a yard for install, 48/ man hour for bed prep and 100 or so for preen app + tax. If you can buy it bulk, you can def sell it way cheaper. I'm getting it cheap, so can install it cheaper than most. This price I said would be a normal price, for a friend or if our schedule is short, I would prob eat the preen, or sales tax.
Posted via Mobile Device

kemco
04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd be somewhere in the $1020 range plus $25-$30 per man hour for bed prep, weeding, etc. Maybe around $1400 total. My cost is around $15 per yard picked up.

FuturePilot4u
04-30-2010, 11:50 PM
when they said yard on here installed is that a whole cubic yard? like the 800 pounds of it installed for only 70 dollars? or is it a square yard on the ground?

Rivervalleylawns
05-01-2010, 05:55 AM
when they said yard on here installed is that a whole cubic yard? like the 800 pounds of it installed for only 70 dollars? or is it a square yard on the ground?

Yards for mulch are measured in cubic yards, def. Not weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

JBlawn
05-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Oh man I must be a lowballer because I could do 17 yards for almost 1/2 that price and still make a great chunk of change

This is exactly what im seeing this year people doing jobs way to dam cheap, I just lost a 14 yard estimate and clean up, edging> I bid 1550 and the winning bid was for 825. I pay $16 a yard of mulch. my cost for labor, material, gas would be around 610. dont make sence to only make 2 or 3 hundred in a day doing landscape work.

tyler_mott85
05-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I'd be in the $1200 range for just the mulch and install at the price you get your mulch for. $35/man hr for prep plus disposal and for 17 yards I would get it delivered so throw whatever that charge in as well. So probably somewhere around 1600 when all said and done.

minix
05-01-2010, 11:51 PM
This is exactly what im seeing this year people doing jobs way to dam cheap, I just lost a 14 yard estimate and clean up, edging> I bid 1550 and the winning bid was for 825. I pay $16 a yard of mulch. my cost for labor, material, gas would be around 610. dont make sence to only make 2 or 3 hundred in a day doing landscape work.

You must not of see the "almost" part. In my next of the woods we get $65.00 a yard installed. If it takes you all day to lay 14 yards then I can see why you lost it. At $65 a yard Im making good money.

lukemelo216
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM
if your by your self and moving quick, you could install 14 yards in about 6-7 hours but if there is prep work then its longer. if you have employees and its taking all day then that is just sad

MJS
05-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I was going to say somewhere around $1400. . .

Did a job of 32 yards (12 of it was a playground=easy) last year for right around $2400.

JBlawn
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
You must not of see the "almost" part. In my next of the woods we get $65.00 a yard installed. If it takes you all day to lay 14 yards then I can see why you lost it. At $65 a yard Im making good money.

Im in cincinnati have always got 90-110 a yard installed(along with all the reputable companies) and im paying 16 a yard. would not even think about lowering my price to $65 thats just not worth the time **** lets say you get it for 20 the home owner cant get it for less than 30 add in 20 for you delivering it(gas, use of truck), insurance and thats brings you up to 55 a yard so your working for around 10 an hour sounds smart to me.

14 yard 4 guys =3.5 hours not including edging and clean up of what needed to be done.

minix
05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Im in cincinnati have always got 90-110 a yard installed(along with all the reputable companies) and im paying 16 a yard. would not even think about lowering my price to $65 thats just not worth the time **** lets say you get it for 20 the home owner cant get it for less than 30 add in 20 for you delivering it(gas, use of truck), insurance and thats brings you up to 55 a yard so your working for around 10 an hour sounds smart to me.

14 yard 4 guys =3.5 hours not including edging and clean up of what needed to be done.

Dont try to talk down to me. You said it your in cincinnati and Im in fremont 2 diff town in 2 diff parts ob the state. Just because Im charging $65.00 to lay mulch that means im not reputable??? lol Up here you would be a price gouger.

And also I dont charge a delivery fee as I stock pile my own mulch, I have 600+ yards at any given time. Dekivery charge well that just not smart.

minix
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM

It takes you 3.5 with 4 guys to lay mulch????? I have 2 guys my 13 year old son that layed 15 yards in 2 hrs and we hand finish everything and that dosent include edging or clean up.

JBlawn
05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Dont try to talk down to me. You said it your in cincinnati and Im in fremont 2 diff town in 2 diff parts ob the state. Just because Im charging $65.00 to lay mulch that means im not reputable??? lol Up here you would be a price gouger.

And also I dont charge a delivery fee as I stock pile my own mulch, I have 600+ yards at any given time. Dekivery charge well that just not smart.

not smart to charge a delivery fee? your time and gas means nothing? so you have 600 yards at your shop good for you, so I assume you did not pay a delivery charge for that to get brought to you? Since you said thats stupid to charge a delivery fee I hope you would not pay someone to bring that much to you. If a home owner calls a multch supply place and wants them to bring 8 yards of mulch so they can do it themselves they are going to get charged a delivery fee, so whats the difference in a company that is going to bring it and spread it?

you have to guys that will haul and spread 7.5 yards an hour? thats impressive to be honest. if you just have wide open beds and nothing to mulch around and minimal hauling distance to that bed I can maybe see it but still impressive.

moore landscaping
05-02-2010, 04:18 PM

14 yard 4 guys =3.5 hours not including edging and clean up of what needed to be done

I agree with you. Whats the point! Why work hard and run a business for money you can get by working at walmart? We are in a industry where instead of prices going up yearly it goes down while all other expenses go up such as gas, mulch, labor and insurance. Get it together people!!! Maybe you make your money off the sweat of some one else and pay them nothing. My company has been around since the 60's so i have seen them come and go. I cant stand people that say you charge too much. If you think all you deserve is $65 a yard before exspenses then go for it because it probably is what you deserve.

STIHL GUY
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM

i was thinking like $1250 so you and me are right in line

J.R. Services
05-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Around here I can buy double ground undyed for $20 and install for $65/yd and dyed mulch $27 and apply for $75/yd. And my prices are actually a couple dollars higher than the local nurserys that have employees that have worked for them longer than I've been alive. You can usually estimate between 40min-1hr/yd to apply depending on location. So if your paying 38.50 you should probably charge at least $80.00/yd

minix
05-04-2010, 09:52 AM
not smart to charge a delivery fee? your time and gas means nothing? so you have 600 yards at your shop good for you, so I assume you did not pay a delivery charge for that to get brought to you? Since you said thats stupid to charge a delivery fee I hope you would not pay someone to bring that much to you. If a home owner calls a multch supply place and wants them to bring 8 yards of mulch so they can do it themselves they are going to get charged a delivery fee, so whats the difference in a company that is going to bring it and spread it?

you have to guys that will haul and spread 7.5 yards an hour? thats impressive to be honest. if you just have wide open beds and nothing to mulch around and minimal hauling distance to that bed I can maybe see it but still impressive.

If a home owner calls a multch supply place and wants them to bring 8 yards of mulch so they can do it themselves they are going to get charged a delivery fee, so whats the difference in a company that is going to bring it and spread it?

I do not pay a delivery fee on anything I have brought in as I buy so much mulch thru the year they deliver it to me for free. If you cant see the diff from dropping mulch for the home owner to dropping mulch to do the job then nothing I say will change your mind but here it goes anyways. If anyone orders mulch from me that lives in my town it will be delivered for free my name is on all my trucks and Im building relationships with everyone in my town so maybe next year or even this year pick up a job from them or a friend.

But let me respond alittle beter to your post. In most cases people do charge a fee to deliver wich is fine if you are not laying the mulch but if you get the mulch job why would you charge extra to bring the mulch to a place where you are going and making money anyways? Do you charge a delivery fee to take yourself to a mow job? I will show in my invoice a fee but it will be $0.00 that makes the cliant can see they are saving money and feel good about hiring me the next time .

minix
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM

14 yard 4 guys =3.5 hours not including edging and clean up of what needed to be done

I agree with you. Whats the point! Why work hard and run a business for money you can get by working at walmart? We are in a industry where instead of prices going up yearly it goes down while all other expenses go up such as gas, mulch, labor and insurance. Get it together people!!! Maybe you make your money off the sweat of some one else and pay them nothing. My company has been around since the 60's so i have seen them come and go. I cant stand people that say you charge too much. If you think all you deserve is $65 a yard before exspenses then go for it because it probably is what you deserve.

If you think all you deserve is $65 a yard before exspenses then go for it because it probably is what you deserve.

This is what pisses me off more than anything on this site when someone someone from PA can say If I only charge $65.00 to lay a yard of mulch that I can buy for $16.00 a yard here in Ohio then my work is less than the work you can do in PA. That is BS and you have been doing this since the 60s and you dont know by now that prices are NOT the same everyplace? My got I make a few $$$ on bed prep and edging along the way aswell. I charge what I charge and Im making people very happy not just your rich guy that has a ton of money in the bank but also the everyday hard working people that want a nice looking house but dont have time because they are working at their job as hard as Im working at mine. I like to make others happy thats what makes what I do mean something and keeps it fun and not so much like a job. Ah and my bills are payed every mo so i must be doing something right.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-04-2010, 04:36 PM

this is right around what i charge here and people even ***** and moan over that sometimes around here. when i lived in MA u could charge whatever cuz people are more wealthy in most parts of mass. around here u get the redneck cheapos who think they can get a better deal than u. u shoudlnt have a problem with the mulch prices ur payin in MA. thats a little high from what i was payin even on cape cod but people WILL pay it there dont worry. I wouldnt do any bed prep for 65/yard installed, but i would certainly spread a yard of mulch for that for what i get my mulch for. if they are cheapos than you get the cheap crap mulch for em and still make good money.

JBlawn
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I do not pay a delivery fee on anything I have brought in as I buy so much mulch thru the year they deliver it to me for free. If you cant see the diff from dropping mulch for the home owner to dropping mulch to do the job then nothing I say will change your mind but here it goes anyways. If anyone orders mulch from me that lives in my town it will be delivered for free my name is on all my trucks and Im building relationships with everyone in my town so maybe next year or even this year pick up a job from them or a friend.

But let me respond alittle beter to your post. In most cases people do charge a fee to deliver wich is fine if you are not laying the mulch but if you get the mulch job why would you charge extra to bring the mulch to a place where you are going and making money anyways? Do you charge a delivery fee to take yourself to a mow job? I will show in my invoice a fee but it will be $0.00 that makes the cliant can see they are saving money and feel good about hiring me the next time .

I dont put on the invoice delivery fee, but I do add into the price for my gas and wear and tear on my truck. People run things differently sounds like your buisness is doing good so thats fine. just didnt think prices would very that much since we were both in ohio.

dblandscaping
05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
In the capital district(NY) i charge my customers $38 a yard for mulch, pickup and delivery, and an additional $43 a yard for installation. Total of $81 a yard. This price does include edging and weeding though, unless it is really bad then I use and hourly rate of $37.50/man hr. I buy my mulch for $24 a yard. Something that always seems to help is on the estimate I specifically put redefine all bed edges and weeding as free. You have no clue how many customers say "you will do that for free" although it is already included in my costs..customer thinks they are getting a lot more...plus if you explain that for them to call and get mulch delivered is $43 a yard and that they are saving $5 a yard on the actual mulch.

Just got a job mulching 60 yards at an office complex,my winning bid was $75 a yard for everything. total of $4,500 getting mulch for the same price $ 24 a yard delivered....getting 3 tandem loads dropped in 3 different locations. looking at around$2,000 profit after labor, materials, overhead...not bad for a days work...

bottom line....explain your price..be reasonable..do good work and there is no way you can't get the job...helps to look presentable too...lol

merrimacmill
05-05-2010, 01:47 AM
$1530 for me. I've been at the same price mulching for 3 years now and I am able to pull great profits at my rate. Also, my profits have gone even high when mulching because I now stock my own mulch buying it in 100 yard tractor trailer loads. The added convience of loading our own mulch is a HUGE time saver as well.

lawnlandscape
05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Died mulch just went up to $38 per yard this year from $32 per yard last year

2brothersyardcare
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
with the mulch everyone likes i pay 36 for hos its 46 and i charge 100 a yard with a lot of prep and 80 for a little of prep work.

bradthomaspix
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
$1455.00 ..............................................................

DixieFerris
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
$85 a yard, that includes the prep work, delivery, and the mulch that costs me $25 a yard. Once prep is done, it would take like 1.5 - 2 hrs with the Mulch Mule to lay down depending how open the beds are. $1,445 plus tax it sounds like

minix
05-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Died mulch just went up to $38 per yard this year from $32 per yard last year

Ill sell it for $30.00 a yard all day long how much do you want?

Lazer Cut
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
to the dude that said he can get $90-110 a yard plus bed work is lieing... Companies "reputable" in my area lay it for $70... I charge similar or more depending on certain circumstances but $110 a yard better include everything, prep work, prem, pull weeds or you aint gettin no work in my area... what part of cincy you live in? indian hill people would snuff you out on those bids...

To the op id be at $1400 and some change... I charge about 70 cents per foot or 80 per foot of bed edging min of $150...

I had two customers go with different people for mulching because I bid 5 yards with minimal bed work at $400 thats mulch and minimal prep work (very few weeds and spray for them etc.) not bid beds at all, guy gives me tons of work... well guy comes in mexican (not racist by all means just stating the facts) he comes in tells the homeowner what he gets it per yard... and then says for $125 more ill pull all weeds, put prem down, bed edge AND guarantee no weeds for a year... he came out to $250-$275... thats ridiculous... but its ok, theyre weeds already lol...

he got another cust. i bid $1500 with two new beds and mulch, he did it for $600... i hope he goes outta biz cause he comes behind people and tries to mow a lawn for $15...

lawnlandscape
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Ill sell it for $30.00 a yard all day long how much do you want?

I'm thinking the delivery fees would kill me :)

hackitdown
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Around here, it is pretty easy to get $85/yd for mulch installed, $1 per foot for edging, and a few bucks for weeding, too. We pay around $30 per yard for the mulch here.

I was at $75 for the last 3 years, but lately I have been getting $85 with no complaints. For jobs over 10 yards I'm still at $75.

minix
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking the delivery fees would kill me :)

If you buy enough anything could happen lol

lawnlandscape
05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
If you buy enough anything could happen lol

Well ok, in that case. Please give me a quote (including shipping) for one of these FULL. Do you know how many yards this would hold btw?

http://www.armybase.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/indonesian-air-force-c-130-hercules.jpg

Chocolate Much. (My Favorite)

JBlawn
05-08-2010, 02:19 PM
to the dude that said he can get $90-110 a yard plus bed work is lieing... Companies "reputable" in my area lay it for $70... I charge similar or more depending on certain circumstances but $110 a yard better include everything, prep work, prem, pull weeds or you aint gettin no work in my area... what part of cincy you live in? indian hill people would snuff you out on those bids...

To the op id be at $1400 and some change... I charge about 70 cents per foot or 80 per foot of bed edging min of $150...

I had two customers go with different people for mulching because I bid 5 yards with minimal bed work at $400 thats mulch and minimal prep work (very few weeds and spray for them etc.) not bid beds at all, guy gives me tons of work... well guy comes in mexican (not racist by all means just stating the facts) he comes in tells the homeowner what he gets it per yard... and then says for $125 more ill pull all weeds, put prem down, bed edge AND guarantee no weeds for a year... he came out to $250-$275... thats ridiculous... but its ok, theyre weeds already lol...

he got another cust. i bid $1500 with two new beds and mulch, he did it for $600... i hope he goes outta biz cause he comes behind people and tries to mow a lawn for $15...

So you think im lieing now thats funny my whole family is in the buisness there are 12 of us, 3 seperate companies we all charge that price, so to say im lieing is bull. If I remember right you live in colrain I can see why you cant get those prices since people dont have much money around there. all my work is in the indian hill, blue ash, montgomery, and hyde park area, If you dont believe me your more than welcome to stop by and ill show you all my invoices from last year. that price includes multch and edging. when I charge 110 that is because most of it has to be done by hand.

minix
05-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Well ok, in that case. Please give me a quote (including shipping) for one of these FULL. Do you know how many yards this would hold btw?

http://www.armybase.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/indonesian-air-force-c-130-hercules.jpg

Chocolate Much. (My Favorite)

Are we putting any in the wings?

Sweet Tater
05-08-2010, 07:17 PM

I was just thinking the me thing ;)

Lazer Cut
05-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Jblawn, I'm in west chester, mason, etc area not colerain
Posted via Mobile Device

JBlawn
05-09-2010, 07:21 AM
well i have done 4 mulch jobs in placepointe subdivision (in mason)in the last 2 weeks all came out to 90 a yard, they had no problem with the price.

lawnlandscape
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
17 yards = $1,224 for me

Woody82986
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Between $1200 and $1350 for me, just for purchase, delivery and installation of the mulch.