PDA

View Full Version : tire tracks

docjones
04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
I swear I've already done a search on this but have not really found a good response to similar question. So I have mostly cool season grass in my own yard....fescue, rye. I like a decent stripe when I cut it. Sometimes to get a better stripe I will double cut it. I've noticed the grass is somewhat less green where my tires are running. I have a Great Dane Super Surfer(stand on mower) probably weighs close to 800 lbs and me about 205. Well I'm guessing the responses I'm gonna get back are that the weight is breaking or bending grass too much and hurting it. But I know I've seen on these forums where guys doublecut and no problem. We get plenty of rain here and don't think dry grass is the issue. Look forward to some good advice. Thanks.

SouthSide Cutter
04-30-2010, 09:04 PM
We have had alot of rain and the grass is really growing around here. All the yards look like that and with every type of mow out there.

Richard Martin
04-30-2010, 09:08 PM
II've noticed the grass is somewhat less green where my tires are running. I have a Great Dane Super Surfer(stand on mower) probably weighs close to 800 lbs and me about 205. Well I'm guessing the responses I'm gonna get back are that the weight is breaking or bending grass too much and hurting it.

It's not that the mower is hurting the grass. The mower is pushing the grass over further where the tires are. A full contact grass roller like the ones from www.bigleaguelawns.com will greatly reduce the tire effect. I use one. This lawn is Lesco TriGold tall fescue.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSCN0699.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSCN0685.jpg

topsites
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Omg... :dizzy:

One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to deal with these type of nutcase scenarios,
but don't be surprised if I use a dark form of humor lol because I've just about had enough of it
in the past two days and now this, what the hell is wrong with you folks lol

Like...
You have to adjust tire pressure according to specifications?

yardguy28
04-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Omg... :dizzy:

One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to deal with these type of nutcase scenarios,
but don't be surprised if I use a dark form of humor lol because I've just about had enough of it
in the past two days and now this, what the hell is wrong with you folks lol

Like...
You have to adjust tire pressure according to specifications?

thats the dumbest response i've read in a while.

i'm sure his tires have the correct psi. his height of cut would be off if they weren't..............:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Greenery
04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
I always think a lawn looks worse when double cut. If the clippings are a problem i get the blower out to disperse them.
Posted via Mobile Device

docjones
05-01-2010, 12:27 AM
tire pressure max is 12 psi on back tires and i run them about 10 psi.....i closely keep my pressures equal. it's not that the stripe looks bad but it's actually turning my grass yellow/brown where the tires run while the rest of it actually looks ok.....aerated and overseeded last year with rebel TTF with nice thick turf. i change directions of cut every week. anyway...appreciate the comments....guess i should just get a roller/stripe kit and quit double cutting.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-01-2010, 12:52 AM
I swear I've already done a search on this but have not really found a good response to similar question. So I have mostly cool season grass in my own yard....fescue, rye. I like a decent stripe when I cut it. Sometimes to get a better stripe I will double cut it. I've noticed the grass is somewhat less green where my tires are running. I have a Great Dane Super Surfer(stand on mower) probably weighs close to 800 lbs and me about 205. Well I'm guessing the responses I'm gonna get back are that the weight is breaking or bending grass too much and hurting it. But I know I've seen on these forums where guys doublecut and no problem. We get plenty of rain here and don't think dry grass is the issue. Look forward to some good advice. Thanks.

i have the same mower and sometimes get tire tracks when its wet or whatever but where the tires go never leaves burnt brown marks... how much tread is on your tires? thats the only thing i can think of

docjones
05-01-2010, 01:15 AM
tire tread is ok....machine has about 350 hours with OEM tires.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
tire tread is ok....machine has about 350 hours with OEM tires.

i dont have an idea then might just want to take it in to a shop and see what they think... good luck

MS_SURVEYOR
05-01-2010, 02:23 AM
You know, I read this thread, and another one earlier about the same thing. Tracks left in the grass. I'm in Central Mississippi. This just being the first of May. I've been mowing mostly weeds, and some early spring grass. I too have been noticing tire tracks in the grass as of 2 weeks ago. I walk my house dog at night using a flashlight to spot snakes. My mowed lawn has been looking ugly under flashlight at night. I run a Bad Boy Pup weighing in at 1200 lbs with full 14 gallon tanks. I've been airing my tires at 12 psi, front and back. My wife wanted to mow 2 weeks ago, so I lowered the air pressures to 8 psi front and rear for a softer ride. That's what puppypaws recommended to me. I had to travel out of town for a week due to work. I mowed Wednesday, and yesterday. My tire pressures were checked and kept at 8 psi front and rear. As I mowed I noticed less early spring weeds and grass. I had problems finding my return tracks. I mow my mother in laws nice lawn in town with my Sabre LT. I saw the same tire tracks as I mowed her lawn. The Sabre may weigh in at 500 lbs. Again after mowing her lawn Tuesday, I didn't seen the tire tracking. I just got back from walking my dog. Shinning the flashlight across the lawn it looked just as smooth and even. I think it's 2 things. Lower tire pressures spread the foot print of the tire across a larger area. But the main thing is I believe the grass is waking up. The soil is getting warmer. I just got a shower off and on today. The grass is alive, and tracking the light of the sun. It's the real beginning of the season.

JM2C'S

MS_SURVEYOR

docjones
05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
so you're saying i should try lowering tire pressure? max psi on rear tires is 12....i already run them at 10....hmmmm......thinking.....wondering......thanks for the input guys.

docjones
05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
richard martin......do you know of a roller that would work on a stander......i didn't see one specific for my Dane on big league lawn.....thanks.

Richard Martin
05-02-2010, 07:44 AM
richard martin......do you know of a roller that would work on a stander......i didn't see one specific for my Dane on big league lawn.....thanks.

Contact Big League Lawns. They can make one for almost any mower.

1grnlwn
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Stripes are nothing but the way light reflects off of the grass. Understandably the grass will tend to lay down where wheels roll over it. If the same path is taken every week the grass will grow sideways and get quite long growing at 30 deg or so. I got fired over this situation once. Well that and my smart mouth.

Two things that could help the situation is to cut into the wheel track against the grain in the center of the deck, lifting the blades and cutting them. A reduced cutting height may also reduce the bending of the blades because they are shorter thus stiffer. This wheel track problem may also be a symptom of a thin lawn. Aeration and overseeding could significantly increase turf density thus allowing the blades to support each other.

MJB
05-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Are the tire tracks shiney or mucky? If it's to dry the grass will shine a little more, too wet the obvious mud tracks. I don't like double cutting in the same direction you'll just make ruts.

Get a stripe roller and cut in different tracks eack week, if you need to double cut criss cross the first cut. The good thing about a stripe roller is you don't need to run in the same tracks to get a bold stripe. I see a lot of guys with nice stripes who stay in their same tracks, even though they change directions each week they stay in the same tracks until ruts become an issue.
Don't know if this helps but it's all I can think of without seeing pictures.

Robert Pruitt
05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
topsites is correct. i have the Great Dane Chariot,run the rear tires at 14 to 15 psi and the front at the max 40 psi. to pitch the deck and have a great stripe. see avatar. i have the blade and spindle spacers set so that the back of the deck drags the grass. cutting at 4 in..

docjones
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
pruitt.....my max psi on this Dane is 12.....i keep it lower than that at around 10 to give me a little more tire on the ground for these West Virginia slopes. Not sure but don't think your set up would work with my mower. I really appreciate everyone's responses so far. If you could be more specific on what to do on my Dane(Super Surfer Series II 48") Thanks.

Cboy7
05-03-2010, 07:42 PM
most people run tire pressure too low. that is true ,.. it will help to have poper pressure.

yardguy28
05-03-2010, 10:33 PM
i always run my pressure between 12 and 13 psi. the recommended is 14 to 16 psi.

for those that don't already know air expands when it heats up so you don't wanna put the max psi in or you'll be running higher than that. i always figure when it expands it'll bump it up another 1 or 2 psi.

Larson Lawn Care
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I have noticed this many times in the past. My tire marks were yellow/brown. I was mowing too high, the grass was too thin, then since the grass was laying where my tires went, it got sunburnt. The sun hitting directly onto flattened grass will burn. It rained, and the next week it was much better.

Darryl G
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Are you running the exact same path every time...gotta mix it up a bit if so or you're gonna end up with ruts too.

carrier_joshua
05-03-2010, 11:29 PM
yea man, if you are running on the same lines every week then the tire tracks are not getting cut as much because the front tires are laying it down before the deck gets to cut it. So the grass is browning up because it has no air and light getting down to the base like every where else. take a rake or a blower and blow against your tracks and look how tall that grass is compared to the rest of the lawn.

when you keep running over the same spots the grass keeps getting pushed down and does not get cut. cross cut it in 4 directions alternating every week one week straight on the next 45 it the next mow width wise and the next 45 the opposite way than you did two weeks ago. this will give you a squarer cut and will prevent rutting too.