PDA

View Full Version : New Stihl Equipment

SouthSide Cutter
04-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Having issues with a BG86 and a RS100RX. The 86 sounds like its knocking some times and your not suppose to flood one but I think my help did, now it wont come to full speed. One of my new 100RX's is a ***** to start I mean you just want to poke a ice pick in your ear. Both back at the shop. No its not the gas because all the other new stuff and old Echo trimmers are running fine. The knocking issue on the 86 is only when you rev it up just sounds like it has 15.1 comp.

lawnboy dan
04-30-2010, 09:26 PM
sthil is crap -worst equiptment i have had for problems. i dont buy anymore

twobroslawns
04-30-2010, 09:30 PM
The first thing to check on new stihl stuff: SPARK ARRESTOR.
They're annoying

twobroslawns
04-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I disagree completely. I love my stihl bg86 and km110r

C4chris70
04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I love Stihl equipment....But I hate their gas caps!

topsites
04-30-2010, 10:28 PM
If you can start it, it ain't flooded.
Then again maybe it did get a lot of gas in some places...

So...
When's the last time the air filter and spark plug got replaced?

Probably all it needs.
My oldest Stihl's are pushing 9 years, they run as good and sometimes better than my newer ones.

SouthSide Cutter
04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
If you can start it, it ain't flooded.
Then again maybe it did get a lot of gas in some places...

So...
When's the last time the air filter and spark plug got replaced?

Probably all it needs.
My oldest Stihl's are pushing 9 years, they run as good and sometimes better than my newer ones.

Checked them, they are only 5 weeks old. Havent ever had to replace anything with just that much run time.

SouthSide Cutter
04-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I love Stihl equipment....But I hate their gas caps!

I forgot their gas caps suck also.

Alan0354
04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I forgot their gas caps suck also.

Have brought them back to the dealer and have them look at it? Demand exchanging to new ones.

topsites
04-30-2010, 11:40 PM
New gas caps sucking?

Try the old styles, when they're on real tight and I twist one off if I'm not REAL
careful I end up taking a piece of skin off one of my nuckles as it scrapes up
against some part of the machine.

Because I have to wrap a good portion of my hand around the outside of an old style to try and take it off,
then if I don't put it back on tight enough so I can get it off again, ooops now it leaks gas.
Oh yeah, forgot about that? :p

And not just Stihl's, but most ALL of them!

Trevor8
05-01-2010, 01:07 AM

not:)!!!!!!!!!

lawnboy dan
05-02-2010, 11:03 AM
funny how i have had way more repair issues with sthil than all others combined. only my trusty br400 has been reliable.

ed2hess
05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
funny how i have had way more repair issues with sthil than all others combined. only my trusty br400 has been reliable.

I think that just might qualify for the most durable and long life blower I ever seen.

STIHL GUY
05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
i have never had problems with any of my STIHL equipment. they have never been back to the dealer for service and are always relaible

rcslawncare
05-03-2010, 12:16 AM

Seems to work for a lot of people to be crap... And I like their gas caps.

Differential
05-03-2010, 03:18 AM
I just started by business, and with my first profits, I have been to the local dealer and purchased 3 stihl products. The Hs45 hedgers, the bg 55 handheld blower, and the 55 trimmer. Because I'm on a budget and starting out, I've purchased these lower model stihl units knowing that they may not perform as well as the higher end stuff, but they should still be reliable. I was very wrong. Today, my leafblower would not start for me at all, with only about 15 hours on it. I cleared the combustion chamber per the manual, and finally got it running again.

On Friday, I bought the lower model edger (55 I believe), used it for one job, and ended up taking it back. The loop handle would not tighten. The dealer graciously replaced it with the beefier handle that comes on the higher end models. It still wouldn't tighten. It ran really rough, and would not start for me later in the day. I finally took it back the same day I bought it and exchanged it for a Kawasaki.

So far, the hedge trimmers have been dependable, but time will tell.

Now, I understand that there may be performance differences with consumer model vs. commercial, but I would think that a $220 Stihl Edger consumer model should still be built with quality and start reliably. My personal experience is that the newer Stihl stuff (at least on the consumer level spectrum) completely sucks.

I used the Kawasaki KEL27B edger for the first time today, and it is completely badass. Very solid, easy to start, nice design, goes from idle to WFTO lickety split, and is so sexy all the bikini girls want to touch it. :drinkup:

From now it, it's kawasaki for me all the way.

lawnboy dan
05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
you would think the comm stuff would be better made a reliable -but its not.sthil is nothing but big name milking a reputation for quality equiptmrnt but failing to deliver.

Richard Martin
05-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I've had pretty good luck with my Stihl equipment. I still have every piece I've ever bought except for my old BR400. I sold it to my neighbor back when I moved in 2006. He used it for a while and then gave it to his father-in-law and he still has it. My dealer replaced the engine on my BR600. It was running fine but my dealer asked me to bring it in for a free inspection. They pulled the muffler off and took a look at the valve guides. They had dropped out of place and the dealer replaced the entire engine and carb for free. And this blower was working on 3 years old! That was a few years ago and the blower has been fine since.

If a new piece of equipment is having problems it is almost always fuel related. Whether it's a problem with the fuel itself or a problem with the carb I don't know.

Where do you buy your gas? What kind of oil are you mixing in? What is the ratio of the mix? What is your starting procedure?

Lazer_Z
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I just started by business, and with my first profits, I have been to the local dealer and purchased 3 stihl products. The Hs45 hedgers, the bg 55 handheld blower, and the 55 trimmer. Because I'm on a budget and starting out, I've purchased these lower model stihl units knowing that they may not perform as well as the higher end stuff, but they should still be reliable. I was very wrong. Today, my leafblower would not start for me at all, with only about 15 hours on it. I cleared the combustion chamber per the manual, and finally got it running again.

On Friday, I bought the lower model edger (55 I believe), used it for one job, and ended up taking it back. The loop handle would not tighten. The dealer graciously replaced it with the beefier handle that comes on the higher end models. It still wouldn't tighten. It ran really rough, and would not start for me later in the day. I finally took it back the same day I bought it and exchanged it for a Kawasaki.

So far, the hedge trimmers have been dependable, but time will tell.

Now, I understand that there may be performance differences with consumer model vs. commercial, but I would think that a $220 Stihl Edger consumer model should still be built with quality and start reliably. My personal experience is that the newer Stihl stuff (at least on the consumer level spectrum) completely sucks.

I used the Kawasaki KEL27B edger for the first time today, and it is completely badass. Very solid, easy to start, nice design, goes from idle to WFTO lickety split, and is so sexy all the bikini girls want to touch it. :drinkup:

From now it, it's kawasaki for me all the way.You're really going to let your first Stihl experience, with home owner equipment non the less end with out at least giving the REAL stuff a try? An FS 90 R & an FC 90 or 95 would have been the perfect start up trimmer and edger. Those are the smallest models in the commercial line up, the engine size and power do nothing but go up from there. You should really reconsider running PROFESSIONAL Stihl equipment, it's not junk as some here may want you to think, if it was then no one would run them. Stihl is all I run and I couldn't be happier with the machines and the performance.

Differential
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe the higher end Stihl stuff is really good, but my PERSONAL experience is that their entry level models just haven't been that great. Eventually, I will invest in higher grade stuff, and demote the cheaper stuff as "backup" equipment. But for now, I just need dependable handhelds that I can justify the cost. And most pre-owned handhelds are really beat up. I take really good care of my equipment, and need it to be dependable, just like everyone else here does.

I am completely open to trying their higher end stuff later down the line. It would be nice to have all handhelds from one brand, so that I can keep parts/air filters that will fit across all of them.

Big Wes
05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Sounds like you stooped over a dollar to pick up a nickle. Buy the commercial grade stuff, don't cheap out on your equippment that's what makes you the money.

Differential
05-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Agreed, I'm happy with the new Kawasaki, but it's more in the range of the higher end stuff.

Alan0354
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Agreed, I'm happy with the new Kawasaki, but it's more in the range of the higher end stuff.

Why don't you change to all Kawi since you just bought all the others. Kawi is true commercial and price as top end home owner stuff. There are a lot of good comments on their hedge trimmer also. And yes, you save hundreds of dollars going with Kawi.

lawnsnorth
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Have been using bg55 blowers and FS55 trimmers for 5 years now and have had no problems except for the spark arresters. Have always made sure to use good quality fuel and mix oil. I have not even changed plugs on half of them. Maybe I'm just lucky but my guys love these tools.

Differential
05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
You guys got me feeling guilty for bashing on stihl. I was out in the garage this afternoon wiping everything down, and I am truly appreciative to be able to afford what I have, even though it may not be the top of the line.

The 55 trimmers and the blower fired right up for me today just fine, and got some love and attention.

It's raining here today, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be out making money rather than evaluating what I do/don't have.

jahbp
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Every Stihl I have owned has carb trouble when they run they work great

Alan0354
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
You guys got me feeling guilty for bashing on stihl. I was out in the garage this afternoon wiping everything down, and I am truly appreciative to be able to afford what I have, even though it may not be the top of the line.

The 55 trimmers and the blower fired right up for me today just fine, and got some love and attention.

It's raining here today, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be out making money rather than evaluating what I do/don't have.

Don't be. It is your experience and don't apologize for that. You do a search, there are people that is not satisfy with all the commercial brands. Do what ever it work for you and avoid anything that is not.

lawnboy dan
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
well i dont feel gulity about bashing a over rated -over hyped and under enginered product . sthil has been a constant dissapointment to me . with the exception of the br400 blower. this is one they got right