PDA

View Full Version : Weatherizing Open Trailer Wood Floors

rmdm94
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
What do you guys use to weatherize open trailer Wood floors. I am changing the wood on my trailer and I am using pt lumber but what do I use to weatherize the wood? Do I stain it, paint it or just leave it?

MileHigh
04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I think a few of the guys on here use diesel fuel.

I just let mine get all nasty cause it;s cheap douglas fir.

But I would coat something on it, if it's nice to keep it that way...my floor gets beat to all hell.

topsites
04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I would get wood that's already made for the application.

Lawn Pawn
04-30-2010, 10:08 PM
As you said.....

Start with good PT, Then I slather on linseed oil. Couple times a year to start, then just go by how it looks.

Krafty
05-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Used diesel motor oil!! Put it on twice a year just roll it on with a old trashed roller, let it dry for about 24hrs and the best part is it is cheap!!

bucket
05-04-2010, 11:46 PM
50/50 used motor oil and diesel fuel here.

Imow4u2
05-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I use deck wash in the fall then after it dries for a week or so hit it with Thompson's. My poor trailer has to sit outside in the off season.

MikeKle
05-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Mine has outdoor treated lumber, I thought all open trailers did? About once a year, you can brush on some thompsons sealer, and it should be good for a long time, but it is also important to apply it to the underside too, that is one messy job! There was a guy on here or another forum, cant remember, but he laid down some sort of sheet rubber on his trailer, and said it protected the wood and was a better surface than the wood, Also some guys around here lay indoor/outdoor carpet on their trailer floors, but I dont know why, this would cause bad mold between the carpet and the wood I would assume?

jbell36
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
i've always wanted to put line-x on my trailer, but at the same time our wood is still in very good shape and it's ten years old, so not in a big hurry...has anyone else done this?

jason9696
05-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I pressure washed the deck of my trailer, then a few days later used some clearance Thompsons deck stain. It came out pretty good, and I can see the water beading up when it rains.